• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Faolyn

(she/her)
And would still end up more graceful than the average human farmer because Elf. Thats the point. That being an elf matters even when you do not max out Dex instead of all races being identical until you select a background or decide where the floating ASI is added to.
Except no, because they don't get a racial bonus to Dex anymore. And there's no need for them to. If you want your elf to be particularly agile, then put that bonus into Dex. But don't expect everyone to have to do the same thing.

Also, the races aren't identical because they have racial traits that are different.

Savage Attacker got worse, actually. It requires you to take the attack action, so no rerolls on opportunity attacks.

In the plus side, you can use it with bows now.

No it did not become worse.
Now you can roll two dice and take the higher. Before you had to reroll one die and hope to not roll lower.
For someone who rolls a single d12, it is now ok.
But I think it is still not good enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Occurs to me that while Guardinals (NG) are the most obvious precursor to Ardlings, there were also other animal-headed celestials in older editions: the Hound Archons and the lesser-known Warden Archons (LG). (None of the original eladrin seemed to have animal motifs, but that's still 2/3.)
Crawford called out Hound Archons in the video.

Haplo781

Legend
No it did not become worse.
Now you can roll two dice and take the higher. Before you had to reroll one die and hope to not roll lower.
For someone who rolls a single d12, it is now ok.
But I think it is still not good enough.
It's worth less than 2 damage on average if you're rolling a d12. There's literally no reason to take it

Aldarc

Legend
That's precisely major component of why WotC designers have expressed regret at making it a later choice for some Classes: nobody actually waits till Level 3 to decide what kind of Rogue or Bard they want to be.
This was an issue that several players at my tables had about the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster. The players wanted some magic out of the gate, but unless they picked a race with a bonus feat (i.e., human) or with the right cantrip (e.g., high elf, etc.), then they were unable to really play out the basics of their character concept until 3rd level.

However, (a) the bonus feat at 1st level means that they can take Magic Intitiate without feeling pressured to take other "must haves," and (b) it's possible that the class and subclass structure will be tweaked for certain classes so that they can choose their subclasses at 1st level anyway. Ideally both.

Yeah, I thinknthe changes are modular enough, and theybare probably willing to back off of any co traverse, that I don't see major adaption issues.

I think as long as the Invocation system remains, the Warlocks customization will still shine out. The mismatch between Pateon and Pact, and difficulty of coming up with new Pacte, was something bothering the designers by the time of the Tasha's tests.
One issue that I could foresee is the problem that if they do combine them, then someone's warlock character concept will get screwed over. If they convert their character over to Nat 1 D&D but find out, for example, that all their Fiendlocks have the Chain Boon and are locked out of the other boons or that Feylocks can't be Bladelocks, then that may damper their spirits.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This was an issue that several players at my tables had about the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster. The players wanted some magic out of the gate, but unless they picked a race with a bonus feat (i.e., human) or with the right cantrip (e.g., high elf, etc.), then they were unable to really play out the basics of their character concept until 3rd level.

However, (a) the bonus feat at 1st level means that they can take Magic Intitiate without feeling pressured to take other "must haves," and (b) it's possible that the class and subclass structure will be tweaked for certain classes so that they can choose their subclasses at 1st level anyway. Ideally both.

One issue that I could foresee is the problem that if they do combine them, then someone's warlock character concept will get screwed over. If they convert their character over to Nat 1 D&D but find out, for example, that all their Fiendlocks have the Chain Boon and are locked out of the other boons or that Feylocks can't be Bladelocks, then that may damper their spirits.
Well, on the other hand...they can continue to run the old options. Though consistency of concept is important to WotC...we'll see what they do. We might have to wait a while for the Warlock, lol, Artificer or Bard will come up sooner.

Remove ads