First Sight: A d20 Modern Story Hour (Updated 01-03-2008)

Lamprolign

First Post

"Red eyes," Gabe muttered. The rhythmic sway of the last Blue Line run to Rosemont lulled him into the murk between slumber and waking.

"I told you it was a vampire."

Gabe opened his eyes and stared at the metal ceiling above. I was well on my way to a nap, Mary. Dark forces.... His eyes wandered to the large windows, street lights beside the track dissolved into glowing trails as the train slipped past. Well, at least we know it wasn't your chum, wrong hair color.

"Poe's really a good person, Gabe. Why can't you two get along better?"

"I don't know, oil and water I guess," his voice sounded odd, echoing in the empty train car. "I need to talk to her again though."

"Just because she's a vampire doesn't mean she'll automatically know something."

"I'm not saying she does, but I have no idea what a vampire is capable of."

"Well, you can forget most of the stuff from the movies."

"Are you certain child?"

Poe craned her neck to make eye contact with the giant walking beside her. "The cops have four bloodless bodies with their hearts ripped out. Her gaze dropped to the rough concrete floor on which she trod. "So yeah, I'm certain."

Kifaru continued in silence to the wall opposite the entrance and passed through a narrow door concealed in shadows. Inside, under a pool of flickering fluorescent light, sat a small round table with four wooden chairs. Three Alice Cooper concert posters, barely visible through decades' worth of grime, hung on the nearest wall. Poe lowered herself into one of the chairs. She placed her elbows on the scratched tabletop and rested her forehead in her hands.

"I will kill her." Her voice was muffled, as if reluctant to pass the cascade of dark hair that draped to the table.

"If it is Mara, she has not returned without a reason." Kifaru regarded Poe solemnly. "She will not be so easy to kill."

"She can't be allowed to continue..."

"Are you certain that is what moves you?"

"Yes...! no, I don't know..." her voice trailed off.

Kifaru reached out and cupped Poe's chin in his hand. "You were saved from the madness. Do you not think that she deserves the same chance?"

"What chance did she give me?!" Poe stood, violently pulling away, sending her chair skidding across the floor. "She's past redemption!"

"Even then she was confounded."

"She knew what she was doing! She knew what they meant to me!"

"Her passions consumed her, Poe. Do not let the same happen to you."

"Will you help me or not?"

Many silent moments passed before he responded. "Yes."

Uncertain light, loath to resist the gloom, flickered through the expanse of the old gymnasium. Skittering shuffles echoed through the rafters as several ghouls moved quickly away from the main door. Karin looked up from the moldering tome that lay before her. A grimace of irritation gave way to carefully composed neutrality when she sensed the source of the ghoul's agitation.

"I see you have found a new home," a deep voice rumbled from the shadows, "and it is a decided improvement over your previous accommodations."

Karin did not move as the voice's owner came into sight. His shoulders barely fit through the door, the dark gray hat atop his head brushed the doorframe. He wore a long gray coat, and the two trunk-like legs that supported the giant were clad in light gray trousers and ended in black oxford shoes.

"Nice of you to notice, Travis," she pushed an errant strand of dark hair behind her ear, "but I'm sure that you aren't here merely to compliment my décor."

"Astute as ever, I think that is why Amicia favors you so." He smiled and shifted his hat revealing chiseled features and a long scar that ran from chin to scalp. "She is concerned by your recent progress, and most of all, your previous employer's loss of the child."

Karin stood. The polished stone table between her and the man seemed flimsy shelter. "I can do nothing for the past, only work for the present. I have someone on the inside."

"Yes, the boy, Joshua," the man's cold gaze drifted from the book on the table to rest solidly on her. "Your choice in servants is somewhat questionable, he is too unpredictable."

"He'll do as he is told."

"I trust that you will see to it."

"He knows his place."

Travis moved a step closer to the table. "That matter is in your hands, but it was not that alone that prompted my visit tonight. One of the Vrykolakas has been overly active of late, and very indiscreet. She may complicate our machinations."

"She is part of those machinations, she and the Sister's pet have a history that we can exploit."

"I know of their history, but a deranged Vrykolakas is no ghoul to be commanded by craft."

"I know what I'm doing."

"Enticing Mara back to Chicago was ill-advised. She draws far too much attention to her activities, both from authorities, and the Haven." Travis placed ham sized fists on the table and leaned forward. "Amicia has a great deal of faith in your abilities. I do not. If you fail a second time..."

Gabe sat quietly contemplating the scuffs and scratches on the train's black rubber flooring. He scarcely noticed the recorded voice announcing California Avenue as the next stop. Instinctively he leaned toward the rear of the train, anticipating the deceleration as they entered the station. The voice announced the stop again as the familiar whine of the brakes slowing several tons of steel grew in volume. The sound faltered and distorted. Are the brakes failing?

Asphalt replaced rubber under his feet. The clacking of the train was replaced by sounds of distant traffic. The Kennedy Expressway, he thought. Gabe looked around quickly. He could see the lights of the California station a hundred yards to his left. The elevated tracks of the Blue Line were directly over his head, but no train disturbed the night. He looked left. Mary's white hair shone a dull orange in light from sodium vapor lamps mounted on the underside of the track.

A young man with a stubbly jaw and long brown hair pulled back tightly behind his head walked quickly towards them. His hands were shoved deep into the pockets of his battered military field coat. Nervously he glanced over his shoulder, and then looked toward the station lights. A small smile brightened his otherwise grim countenance. His pace quickened. He was only a few yards from them now.

Waves of fierce emotion crashed through Gabe's mind, hunger; rage; exhilaration. He saw the man momentarily surrounded in a ochre hued aura. As quickly as it came, the tide of foreign emotions ebbed. His vision was obscured. He stumbled back. At first he thought Mary in front of him, but the woman he saw was much taller. The young man stood stock still, his face ashen beneath the cold lights.

"Sanguis cor vanire ex corpus," the woman spoke.

Face contorted in paroxysms of agony, he was lifted above the ground. His limbs and head forced back and chest thrown forward. The woman extended her hand and a gaping hole opened in his chest. An amoebic mass of gore hemorrhaged into the night air, orbiting the still-beating heart. It shimmered in the light and slowly grew with luminescence of its own. The heart dissolved into the now glowing mass as it elongated and split into multiple tendrils, encircling the woman. She spread her arms wide and the phosphorescent coil eddied around her. The light imploded, vanishing in a shower of fine ash that quickly dissipated in the wind.

Mary grabbed to Gabe's coat sleeve and stepped close beside him. "I've never seen anything like that," she whispered.

"No shi..." Gabe's words fell silent when woman turned and looked directly at them.

He was back in the train car. Gabe grabbed seat beside him, the world was tilting dangerously beneath him. The train doors hissed and began to close.

":):):):)!" He jumped towards the quickly diminishing opening. The doors slammed shut as his foot cleared. He landed badly on the concrete platform, but managed to roll to his feet. Still dazed, he spun in a circle. "Which way!?"

"To your left. No! Your other left!" Mary's voice cleared his muddled thoughts.

Gabe pelted down the staircase and onto the street below. He could see the place, and a lump lying at the edge of the light. He skidded to a halt beside the body. It was positioned such that the crater in the chest was clearly visible. A small tendril of steam rose from the still-warm wound.

"I think we should..." Mary's words were cut short when Gabe registered the sharp prickling of his neck hair standing on end. He spun one-eighty and came face to face with a pair of red eyes framed by snow-colored hair.

© 2004, Austin Hale

ledded

Herder of monkies
Niiiice. Havent been by here in a while, and I'm glad I wandered back in. Very good work here, I like how it's really shaping up into something good and all spine-tingly.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Hey Lamp, it's been a while. I'm glad to see your still writing. Age has done only good things to your work.

Write soon.

Lamprolign

First Post
Feeling unknown
and you're all alone,
flesh and bone,
by the telephone,
lift up the receiver,
I'll make you a believer

- Depeche Mode, (Johnny Cash cover), Personal Jesus

"...run!"

"Sanguis co..."

"Tharae curoon taranis!"

A jagged bolt of blue-white lightning struck the woman squarely in the torso, cutting off her incantation and throwing her against a railway pylon with a loud thump. Adrenaline and magic pounded in Gabe's veins. The smell of burnt hair and scorched flesh assaulted his nostrils. He saw the woman rise unsteadily from the pavement.

"Ròiseal viitahea!"

A compression wave flashed outward. She threw herself at the ground. The worst of the blast screamed over her head, striking the concrete and steel of the elevated rails in a shower of gravel and the scream of bending girders.

"Oops..."

The woman exploded from the dust, both feet striking Gabe squarely in the chest, forcing the air from him and throwing him across the narrow street. He hit the ground rolling and came swiftly to a crouch, facing his adversary. Stabbing pain with each breath marked at least one broken rib. Where is Poe when you need her? The woman backed a step and he saw her mouth moving.

"She's casting!" Mary shouted in his mind. "Caer’aroon naes naeor!"

Gabe's arms snapped up and blue fire streamed out to meet a matching stream of red incandescence. The two energies exploded against one another sending the pugilists to the ground amid a shower of asphalt and embers. He regained his feet a split second before her but already the glimmer of arcane fire surrounded her arms. It shot out for him. He ducked beneath the stream of uncanny flame. Struggling with protesting retinas he saw a dark shape soaring through the night directly at him.

"Sgiath!" He and Mary cried in unison. The creature impacted on an unseen shield scarcely an arm's length away. "Balaas aingeal!" glowing crimson mist swirled around Gabe's hand then sped outward in a column.

The attack caught his assailant off balance, striking her solidly in the face. She fell to the ground screaming. Shadow swirled around her and swiftly expanded to engulf the area. Damn, I can't see a thing.

"Listen..."

Gabe heard the scrape of boots on the asphalt and launched himself in that direction.

"Wai..."

His consciousness exploded into millions of exquisitely clear slivers of pain as something very hard moving very fast connected with his left temple. Dazed, he spun in a circle, the ground felt like a surface of rolling marbles. He fell hard, sending a wave of agony through his chest. Through the ringing in his ears he thought he heard the distant whine of sirens and the rapid thud of retreating footfalls.

Every circuit in his brain resisting the effort, Gabe rose and ran in the after the sound. The unnatural darkness had dissipated leaving only the normal gloom of night. He pelted down a street lined by old but well maintained houses that ran perpendicular to the tracks. Every jolting step sent another stab of pain through his chest. He tasted the salty, coppery essence of blood in his mouth. He neither saw, nor sensed any sign of his adversary. A coughing fit left bright red blood onto the pavement. He slowed to a walk, then stopped and finally sank to his knees. Each gasping breath brought gurgling deep in his chest. Not good. Convulsive coughing left a patch of blood wider than his shadow on the sidewalk.

"Gabe?"

He heard Mary's voice as if whispered from afar. His thoughts were mired in quicksand, detached, he watched as the edges of his vision began to close in.

"Gabe!"

"Sweet Jesus," Jake Brewer said as he climbed out of the unmarked police cruiser.

Lori Gies did not respond as she surveyed the scene. Fire engines and police tape demarked the area of devastation. She noted the knee-deep crater surrounded by patches of burning asphalt that were still being extinguished. The nearest support pylon for the L tracks lying in a heap of shattered concrete and twisted steel. The rails above sagged dangerously earthward. Near the ruined pylon a white sheet covered what was obviously a body. She easily stooped under the yellow line and continued into the destruction.

Brewer snapped the tape in his passing. "Fix that," he said to the nearest patrolman. He stopped a few paces in, visually sweeping the area. "Where in the hell are these scumbags getting this kind of firepower?"

Lori was already too far ahead to hear over the babble of radio communications emanating from the radios carried by the uniformed officers. She came to the sheet draped body and flipped the covering back deftly. Glazed, pale blue eyes stared blindly back at her from a face matching the sheet in hue. She pulled the sheet back further and examined the gaping wound in his chest. Same wounds, but not the same MO... Covering the body, she rose and walked toward the crater.

She stopped at the edge. Against the night's chill she could feel faint heat emanating from the pit. Pulling a flashlight out of her coat pocket she looked closely at the interior of the basin. It glinted with reflected light. The earth had been melted and fused. She knelt and brought her nose bare millimeters from the ground and inhaled slowly. Underlying the stench of burnt asphalt and charred earth she smelled the barest hint of sulfur. Very interesting. She stood, noticing a group of spectators standing past the perimeter she walked toward them.

Brewer stomped around the scene with the finesse and personable charm of a T. rex. He came upon the CSI unit as they arrived. "Pete, where's Ansgar?"

"He's not on this shift tonight."

"Funny, he always seems to be in the area when something weird goes on." Brewer scratched his head absently. This was the third time he'd stood on a battlefield in his own backyard. Even the Feds and their explosives experts had found not a trace of chemical residue. At least none that they'd shared with 'us little city cops.'

"Well, everyone I've talked to claims to have seen nothing until after the fireworks," Lori said as she walked back from the perimeter.

"I'm not surprised, most people in these neighborhoods have enough sense just to keep their heads down when they hear things going boom in their front yard." Brewer was walking toward the railway pylon. "I think we've got a turf war going on in town, something right out of Capone's days but with rockets."

"And the bled out bodies?"

"I think it's some kind of cult thing going on," Brewer said. "Some Satan worshipping pukes leaving a calling card for the home team."

Lori looked over her shoulder at the morgue crew removing the body and said nothing.

Gabe Ansgar lay on his stomach, his head turned to one side, in a slowly congealing brown puddle. His breathing was shallow, almost imperceptible except for the low gurgling that accompanied each exhalation. The air stirred sending a few survivors of the past autumn's leaves skittering past his quietly drowning body. A shadow fell across Gabe's head.

A woman, wrapped tightly in a black oilskin drover coat, knelt beside Gabe's body. Sharp brown eyes set above broad cheekbones surveyed the fallen investigator. Absently she pushed an unruly strand of sepia-colored hair behind a smallish ear. With a calloused hand, she pulled the upturned collar of his coat back and leaned closer to his face. "He doesn't look like much does he?" Her voice was soft, almost a child's

From out of ratty hedge bordering the sidewalk, a large raccoon strolled. It turned its head to regard her. Chirping once, it sniffed the air vigorously then chittered at the woman.

"I think the blood gave that away, Abby." The woman sighed and looked up and down the street. "We better move him before somebody else comes along." A slight smile touched her face. "She's going to be very pleased with us."

© 2004, Austin Hale

Last edited:

Remove ads