• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First World: Possibly One of the New D&D setting?

Faolyn

(she/her)
See I could use that by having a family with a child WITH birth defects as part of a story that the family assumes is cursed to show that it’s not true that people born with birth defects are always cursed and that such people are rare and the people who bestow such curses are truly the evil ones and those who assume they are cursed are ignorant. Caliban as they were are very much of a different time and place and way of thinking. One day the way we think now will be seen as wrong but portraying people with birth defects as evil and cursed is definitely in the gross area.
Sure, and as story or character hooks go, that's absolutely fine. I'd go for it. A character in my non-Ravenloft game is using something like that as their PC's backstory. As part of the actual rules, though...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think SJ will be highly modified to be less silly by the looks of it. Probably the most of all of them.
Dude. Chris Perkins is the one translating the setting to 5e. He loves goofy stuff. He made Tomb of Annihilation, probably the silliest 5e adventure. He's the guy that put Abyssal Chickens, Gnome Ceremorphs and Squidlings, Chwingas, and a bunch of other wacky stuff in recent D&D books. And from the previews of the books we're getting, it's not getting any less silly/wacky. If anything, it's going to be more silly/wacky than it was in 2e. There will be Space Chwingas riding Space Guppies, Vampirates, Space Clowns, Goon Balloons, and presumably a bunch of other stuff that weren't originally in the setting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Can I disagree that tinker gnomes are meant to be laughed at though? They’re steampunk before steampunk. They were inventors and a trope of the inventor, and a real world thing for inventors, is that their inventions often failed spectacularly. The Artificer is a great way to bring tinker gnomes up to date by bringing them a competency that many players and the AD&D system was unable to display as it was used in the days when Dragonlance was at its peak. Gnomes were kind of a forgotten race until tinker gnomes came along and while 3.x tried to give them an identity as “bards” it was Dragonlance that gave us, for example, the gnomes of Lantan and the idea of them being inventors and steampunky clockwork geniuses that is so common rather than the awkward perverts of the Bard gnome or the identity-less gnomes of AD&D.
I've read a handful of the Dragonlance novels. The way they're presented in that is definitely meant to be humorous. The way that their names contain their entire family history in them and it would take days to finish saying the whole thing, the way that they catapult themselves to different levels instead of using stairs and have had gnomes die this way, the way that they create 10 more problems for every solution they make, their speech patterns and behavior overall.

They're supposed to be funny. I don't think they are funny, but they were supposed to be.

teitan

Legend
A race of steampunky inventors isn't the issue.
Its having a race of people that all present adhd and other neurodiverse traits being almost universally inept, and portraying those traits for comedy.
I get it, but that changed the perception and the standard gnome changed to be a competent form of such neurodiverse people, such as myself. Or did you miss the evolution aspect of my comment?

teitan

Legend
Sure, and as story or character hooks go, that's absolutely fine. I'd go for it. A character in my non-Ravenloft game is using something like that as their PC's backstory. As part of the actual rules, though...
That was my argument yes.

teitan

Legend
Dude. Chris Perkins is the one translating the setting to 5e. He loves goofy stuff. He made Tomb of Annihilation, probably the silliest 5e adventure. He's the guy that put Abyssal Chickens, Gnome Ceremorphs and Squidlings, Chwingas, and a bunch of other wacky stuff in recent D&D books. And from the previews of the books we're getting, it's not getting any less silly/wacky. If anything, it's going to be more silly/wacky than it was in 2e. There will be Space Chwingas riding Space Guppies, Vampirates, Space Clowns, Goon Balloons, and presumably a bunch of other stuff that weren't originally in the setting.
I didn’t say less wacky. I said less silly. Chris is full blown gonzo.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Can I disagree that tinker gnomes are meant to be laughed at though? They’re steampunk before steampunk. They were inventors and a trope of the inventor, and a real world thing for inventors, is that their inventions often failed spectacularly. The Artificer is a great way to bring tinker gnomes up to date by bringing them a competency that many players and the AD&D system was unable to display as it was used in the days when Dragonlance was at its peak. Gnomes were kind of a forgotten race until tinker gnomes came along and while 3.x tried to give them an identity as “bards” it was Dragonlance that gave us, for example, the gnomes of Lantan and the idea of them being inventors and steampunky clockwork geniuses that is so common rather than the awkward perverts of the Bard gnome or the identity-less gnomes of AD&D.
Tinker gnomes literally believe that any gnome who makes objects that actually work correctly is insane.

Remove ads