Fishing for a new system

Matchstick

Adventurer
Not to hijack the OPs thread or anything but I am looking into Savage Worlds - where does this cadre of players/GMs hang out?

I can help out too if you have any questions, in addition to the above volunteers. I've run 50 Fathoms, Iron Dynasty, Ghostbusters, and other stuff using Savage Worlds (all online with Fantasy Grounds) and had a great time. I don't post a lot, but I'm up here on the Forums almost every day. :)

Savage Worlds was my first reaction to the OP as well. There are so many possibilities for setting that with SW you can run some one-shots, or one-arcs, in many different settings just to have fun and learn the system, and then if everyone is going good you can start looking for a longer term campaign setting.

The Pinnacle boards are indeed a great forum, and I've found the Google+ Savage Worlds community to be fantastic.

Another suggestion -- more squarely aimed at fantasy, would be Pelgrane Press's 13th Age game. If you are thing in terms of D&D5e and fantasy Savage Worlds, it's right in that sort of area of consideration.

NerfedWizard

First Post
If you want to have a look at my Implosion! Tabletop RPG, I can send you the PDF for free (or private link for download) if you playtest it for me :)

You can probably read the whole thing in a couple of hours. It does have a tied setting but the tied setting is rather vague in many ways. And it would be quite easy to untie it.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about the next campaign we're going to play after we wrap up our current Dark Heresy game. After playing a ton of systems over twenty years, I have a pretty good idea of what major problems I have with RPG systems (for my group, at least), and I'd love to get for our next game a system that at least makes a honest attempt to address them. None of the systems I'm familiar with do this, so I'm turning to you for advice.

The big problem we had with 3E was that mechanical complexity grows superlinearly with levels, so that the bookkeeping becomes increasingly more untolerable over time, plus it takes forever to decide tactics. On the other hand, we also had major problems with systems like e.g. Chaosium Call of Cthulhu where mechanical complexity is just too low for some players. The kicker is, the sweet spot is different for different people; I've got some players who love to have loads of weird powers that can alter the battlefield situation if we can just wait a minute for them to figure it out, and others who would like nothing more than roll to hit, roll to damage, next please. I hear that 5E attempts to address this by letting different characters in the same campaign use different rules, is this true? Does it really work? I've played a little bit of 4E, but no 5E at all.

Next, the big problem I have with Dark Heresy was that you can spend inordinate amounts of real time during downtime searching for gear or crafting gear or customizing gear. That stuff is fun, within limits. There are games where those limits get broken all the time. I have to admit that I'm not 100% clear on exactly what I want here, but I know that I hate spending an entire session rolling dice to see if you can find or craft every rare item in the game. I'd love suggestions.

And then there's the overspecialized characters. The guy who can kill damn near anything, but is utterly useless any time he's not killing something. He overshadows the other characters in combat, and sits on his thumbs outside combat, resulting in a worsened gaming experience for the group in both situations. Plus, anything that challenges him will wipe the floor with the rest of the group, and anything that's a reasonable challenge for the rest of the group will just get killed in the first two rounds by him. I'd like a system where that doesn't happen much. 3E was fairly good at this in combat, but sucked at this outside combat. DH looked promising at first, until you get a Vindicare Assassin and a high-charisma skillmonkey in the same group. Basically, during combat one plays and the other goes out for a smoke, then during social situations they switch. Ew.

Of course, a good DM has ways to deal with that, and I do, but if I'm to use a new system, I'd really like one that actually helps me rather than one I have to deal with. Currently, I have ideas for mechanics that could help with those problems, but I'd much happier if it turned out that somebody else out there had the same problems, built a system to address them, playtested it, and could sell it to me.

Suggestions, ideas?
5e PHB , without feats or multiclassing, is very well balanced. That would probably work well for what you want.

Zappo

Explorer
Thanks for all your suggestions. When the time comes, I'll check out SW and 5E. NerfedWizard: thanks for the offer, but here I'm specifically looking for fully-developed systems (as time is currently my most precious resource).

Zadmar

Explorer
The big problem we had with 3E was that mechanical complexity grows superlinearly with levels, so that the bookkeeping becomes increasingly more untolerable over time, plus it takes forever to decide tactics. On the other hand, we also had major problems with systems like e.g. Chaosium Call of Cthulhu where mechanical complexity is just too low for some players.
I had pretty much the same issue, except in my case I kept switching back and forth between D&D 3.5 and WoD. I liked the tactical side of D&D, but combat became increasingly slow at the higher levels, eventually reaching the point where a challenging combat encounter required several hours to resolve (that was the point where my campaigns lost steam and the players wanted a change). On the other hand I liked the flexibility of character creation and flatter advancement in WoD, but found the combat scenes very lackluster; an unsatisfying showdown with the BBEG would lead to us switching back to D&D.

Savage Worlds combines what I liked best about both systems. Combat is very tactical but also much faster to resolve, advancement is much flatter, there's no need to write down initiative or hit points, encounters don't need to be carefully balanced (nor do you need filler combat encounters), many NPCs can be made up on the fly (further reducing prep time), etc.

When I played We Be Goblins in Pathfinder it took around 6 hours, but when I ran the same adventure in Savage Worlds it took only 3 hours, even though I added a lot of extra enemies to fight. And while that was with starting characters, Savage Worlds doesn't slow down as the characters progress, because combat isn't about resources management.

Holy Bovine

First Post
[MENTION=203]Holy Bovine[/MENTION] --- Of the self-professed "Savages" on the board, I've had interactions with [MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION], [MENTION=14291]Azgulor[/MENTION], [MENTION=6700109]Zadmar[/MENTION], [MENTION=12328]scourger[/MENTION], and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm sure if you private messaged any of us asking questions, we'd be more than willing to help.

I'm sure there are other fans out there too, I just haven't directly interacted with them. :)

Go here: http://www.pegforum.com/index.php

Nicest and most helpful folk on the Interwebs, IMO.

Otherwise, PM me if you have questions.

I can help out too if you have any questions, in addition to the above volunteers. I've run 50 Fathoms, Iron Dynasty, Ghostbusters, and other stuff using Savage Worlds (all online with Fantasy Grounds) and had a great time. I don't post a lot, but I'm up here on the Forums almost every day. :)

Savage Worlds was my first reaction to the OP as well. There are so many possibilities for setting that with SW you can run some one-shots, or one-arcs, in many different settings just to have fun and learn the system, and then if everyone is going good you can start looking for a longer term campaign setting.

The Pinnacle boards are indeed a great forum, and I've found the Google+ Savage Worlds community to be fantastic.

Wow - thank you for the offers of help and the link to the pegforum! When I get deeper into creating my first game/setting I'll be sure to keep you in mind for my inevitable stupid questions!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm a Savage Worlds fan as well, though I've only played it for a couple short adventures. I enjoyed the system, though it can be deadly.

I'll throw out for the OP also Numenara/Cypher System by Monty Cook. Low to mid-crunch, streamlined single-d20 system. Numenara is a science fantasy world, a medieval-style world built on the high-tech ruins of previous civilizations (some of which are alien). Wild bio-tech animals weird constructs, "magic" via manipulating the everpresent nanites in the world. It's interesting and highly imaginative.

Cypher System is the Numenara system mechanics stripped out and generalized. It has suggestions for how to run different styles of campaigns using the system (fantasy, superhero, etc).

Remove ads