D&D 5E Fist of Unbroken Air ... broken?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The monk discipline Fist of Unbroken Air says:
"As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage, plus an extra 1d10 bludgeoning damage for each additional ki point you spend."

That looks to me like you decide to use FoUA (spending 2 ki points), then the target rolls its save, and if it fails you can decide spend extra ki points for damage. This isn't an elemental spell, so there's no cap on how many points you can spend. So a level 20 monk could use the ability, and if the save fails, spend all his ki to deal 21d10 damage.

Sound correct, or would you read it that you have to decide to spend the extra ki when you first use the ability, before the save? Or maybe it should count as a spell in terms of the max ki spent?

I'm not really saying it's broken, though it seems like decent nova ability (for an otherwise underwhelming subclass). The thread title is more for the pun :)

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Yeah pretty much. Not to mention it has 20ft pushback and prone as side effects of that failed save. But then the Monk is out of ki. So I suppose if you suspect that 115 damage (average+1) is going to kill the BBEG, well, do it. It's probably the only Way of Four Elements ability that isn't lame. You'll note that Water Whip has almost identical damage and wording.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I would read it like I do a math problem or if I were coding something. I.e.:

damage=3d10+((1d10*(kispent-2))

IF save=fail THEN targetHP=targetHP-damage

So basically ki has to be declared first.

Sound correct, or would you read it that you have to decide to spend the extra ki when you first use the ability, before the save? Or maybe it should count as a spell in terms of the max ki spent?
As I read it, it definitely counted as an elemental spell. Everything on the list counts as an elemental spell. It's just that some of the spells don't correspond to anything in the spell section, so they print the entire effect right there.

famousringo

First Post
So the question is should this work like a spell (spend resources before outcome) or a smite (spend resources after outcome).

A few points:

- Generally, Elements techniques are designed to mimic spells.
- The effect takes place on a save, like most spells, not on an attack roll, like smite.
- You must commit some ki points to the ability before you can know the outcome, whereas a paladin decides to expend resources after already knowing the outcome.
- Spending a ki point is way more efficient than spending a spell slot on smite. You get 1d10 per point instead of 1d8 per level, and ki points replenish on a short rest rather than a long one.
- The maximum damage of this ability far exceeds the maximum damage of a smite.

Yeah, put me in with the "it's a spell" crowd. You spends your points and you takes your chances.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
You learn Elemental Disciplines from the subclass. Disciplines require that you spend Ki points each time you used one.

Some Disciplines allow you to cast spells. Spells have a Ki point maximum.

There is no stated maximum for spending Ki on a Discipline. Determing whether or not there should be a maximum is DM call, and may vary from table to table.

EDIT: and given how the Paladin smite and Fighter Superiority features work, I wouldn't have a problem with a Monk dumping all their damage into one big shot.

EDIT 2: and I also wouldn't have a problem with dumping all their damage into one big shot after their target had failed a save.

Last edited:

Remove ads