• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FIX the fonts!

RFisher

Explorer
I didn't say anything about the font size when the new site was first unveiled. I figured the font size would be fixed once the decision was made.

I believed Morrus when he said he'd heard the millions of complaints about the font size and that it would be fixed.

But it is STILL NOT FIXED.

A simple "View Source" will show where the stylesheet is that needs to be edited, and it doesn't take a genius to read the style sheet and figure out where the font size is being set and REMOVE it. (Or, failing that, I can't believe it would take to long to figure out how to remove the stylesheet completely.)

Of course, since EN World is a free service, I have to right to complain... But I rant because I love. :D

Dragongirl

First Post
RFisher said:
. . . it doesn't take a genius to read the style sheet and figure out where the font size is being set and REMOVE it. (Or, failing that, I can't believe it would take to long to figure out how to remove the stylesheet completely.)

Tsk tsk, think you have been taking lessons from the wrong person.

Dragongirl

First Post
RFisher said:
Huh? What is wrong with saying that, as far as I can tell, this looks like a dead easy thing to fix?

To some it might appear you are inferring that Morrus is stupid and/or lazy. Perhaps since you have looked at the source code and know the answer you could post what would need to be changed. :)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Dragongirl said:

To some it might appear you are inferring that Morrus is stupid and/or lazy. Perhaps since you have looked at the source code and know the answer you could post what would need to be changed. :)

It would be faster, easier and more polite. Maybe that was the reason why he didn't do it... :D

RFisher

Explorer
Dragongirl said:

Hmm. I thought explaining how to do it would be more of an accusation of stupidity.

I learned long ago not to infer too much into what other people say--especially online with the lack of body language and facial expression. I also generally try to be more careful about how I phrase things online than face-to-face. (And to include a smiley if I don't mean to be taken too seriously.)

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to infer that anyone was stupid or lazy. I now know that I have to be extra careful around here. I was just trying to bring it to the attention of someone who could fix it that, the font size is still being set and and still making EN World hard for some of us to read.

Since you asked: here's how to fix it:

1. Open the file: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/news/themes/Giga_insetable_rogue/style/style.css

(Of course, I have no way of knowing what this maps to on the server's file system.)

2. Search for and delete all lines containing "font-size:". (Make sure your search is case insensitive, because whoever created the file wasn't consistent.)

3. Save it.

4. Do the same thing for http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/news/themes/Giga_insetable_rogue/style/styleNN.css

If it were me, I might change some select styles to "small", but I can't really see much need for "x-small" and "xx-small", which is nearly all these stylesheets contain.

ladyofdragons

First Post
actually, the fonts are better now than they were back when they were set to specific font pixel sizes (which is what it was set to back when he first put up the new site). It should now render properly even if you're on a Mac or *Nix machine. using relative font sizes is considered the proper way to control font sizing.

If all the font sizes were removed, 99% of the people who look at the site would say "YUCK!" because everything would wrap improperly and look generally crappy. The font sizes are the same as they were back when Morrus had the original enworld.org, except rather than reading font size = 1 they read font size = small (which is the same thing). What is your screen resolution set to? what OS are you running? chances are if you see everything as way too small, then you need to lower your screen resolution.

RFisher

Explorer
ladyofdragons said:
actually, the fonts are better now than they were back when they were set to specific font pixel sizes (which is what it was set to back when he first put up the new site). It should now render properly even if you're on a Mac or *Nix machine. using relative font sizes is considered the proper way to control font sizing.

Certainly relative font size is better than specific pixel size. But body text should be left at the normal size, not made larger or smaller.

If all the font sizes were removed, 99% of the people who look at the site would say "YUCK!" because everything would wrap improperly and look generally crappy.

I saved the page & the style sheets and removed all the font-sizes to see exactly what it would look like.

I'm looking at in in both Mozilla and Internet Explorer. Granted, the text in the side bars would look better at a smaller size. And I have no problem with that. But the body text looks 100% better. And it wraps beautifully.

The font sizes are the same as they were back when Morrus had the original enworld.org, except rather than reading font size = 1 they read font size = small (which is the same thing). What is your screen resolution set to? what OS are you running? chances are if you see everything as way too small, then you need to lower your screen resolution.

Well, the fonts are definately appearing smaller for me now than they did on the old enworld.org. I haven't changed browser, OS, or screen resolution.

I use Mozilla 1.0 on Windows 2000 and Linux. On my Win2k machine, one screen is set to 1600x1200 and the other to 1152x864. (I don't recall what my Linux resolution is set to.)

But, of course, what browser/OS/screen resolution I am using is unimportant. I set my browser to the font & size that is comfortable for me to read on my system, and I expect web sites to honor my choice.

So, I've made my case. I apologize again if my original rant was inappropriate and ask that you try to believe me when I say it was meant in good spirits. I'll be quiet now.

Last edited:

Remove ads