D&D 5E Fizban Is In The Wild -- With the Table of Contents!

Some people have received their copies of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, and have posted photos (including the table of contents!) online!

Some people have received their copies of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, and have posted photos (including the table of contents!) online!

8BFC444C-5615-4B7D-8BB7-F5D32D4F4C49.jpeg

E9ABFDE2-7C70-4917-8A3B-8C08CC5818DF.jpeg

E8DE898D-6851-408A-BC24-7010CEF5FF14.jpeg

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Quasideity vs Quasigod is splitting hairs, clearly I was referring to the same thing.
. . . You're mad at me for making a minor correction to a bit of semantics that you got wrong? Buddy, this is the internet. I knew you were referring to the same thing, I was just correcting it.

I was taking your side in that post, too, by saying that there is a distinction between Demigods, Quasideities, and the like in D&D 5e.

. . . You're mad at me for making a minor correction to a bit of semantics that you got wrong? Buddy, this is the internet. I knew you were referring to the same thing, I was just correcting it.

I was taking your side in that post, too, by saying that there is a distinction between Demigods, Quasideities, and the like in D&D 5e.

I wasn't mad, it was more an eye roll moment. I should have used the 😏 emoji. I'm glad you took my side, more people on here should as well, they should ask themselves what would Henadic Theologian do or believe 😇😈🤣😂🤪.

Unfortunately the DMG lore on divine ranks is inconsistent with other products. This is the one that deives me bonkers.

Quasi-deities have a divine origin, but they don’t hear or answer prayers, grant spells to clerics, or control aspects of mortal life. They are still immensely powerful beings, and in theory they could ascend to godhood if they amassed enough worshipers. Quasi-deities fall into three subcategories: demigods, titans, and vestiges.

Demigods are born from the union of a deity and a mortal being. They have some divine attributes, but their mortal parentage makes them the weakest quasi-deities.” - Dungeon Master’s Guide

“Raxivort’s Betrayal. All xvarts are the degenerate offspring of an entity named Raxivort, who once served Graz’zt the Dark Prince as treasurer. Raxivort spent long centuries watching over the treasury, and in time he grew to lust after his master’s riches. In one bold move, he plundered a treasure vault and fled to the Material Plane. One of the treasures he stole was the Infinity Spindle, a crystalline shard from the early days of the multiverse that could transform even a creature as low as Raxivort into a demigod.

After he ascended to godhood, Raxivort forged a realm called the Black Sewers, within Pandesmos, the topmost layer of Pandemonium. He enjoyed his divine ascension only briefly, though, before Graz’zt unleashed his vengeance. The demon prince had no need to regain the Infinity Spindle, since he already possessed power greater than what it could grant.

Raxivort can hear their supplications, but he’s too afraid to come out of hiding most of the time. Occasionally, he does appear before a tribe of worshipers as a 9-foot-tall xvart carrying an empty sack.” - Volo’s Guide to Monsters

So in VGtM, demigods are a rank for actual deities able to hear and answer prayers, just like every other edition of the game. (Interestingly, it also places Graz’zt as more powerful than these true deity demigods.) The DMG sidebar is horrible in explaining deities in 5e, but that sidebar is what Jeremy Crawford points you at if you ask him (despite being credited as the managing director for VGtM, as well as the D&D lead rules developer).

I can’t get too bothered about great wyrms, because it just deflects back to the contradictory lore about deities in 5e in general, and the fact that the primary source (DMG) presents a worse version than the supplements since then. I think they just ignored the DMG afterwards and went with “Deities = Greater, Lesser, Demigods. Quasideities = Vestiges, Titans”.

Unfortunately the DMG lore on divine ranks is inconsistent with other products. This is the one that deives me bonkers.

Quasi-deities have a divine origin, but they don’t hear or answer prayers, grant spells to clerics, or control aspects of mortal life. They are still immensely powerful beings, and in theory they could ascend to godhood if they amassed enough worshipers. Quasi-deities fall into three subcategories: demigods, titans, and vestiges.

Demigods are born from the union of a deity and a mortal being. They have some divine attributes, but their mortal parentage makes them the weakest quasi-deities.” - Dungeon Master’s Guide

“Raxivort’s Betrayal. All xvarts are the degenerate offspring of an entity named Raxivort, who once served Graz’zt the Dark Prince as treasurer. Raxivort spent long centuries watching over the treasury, and in time he grew to lust after his master’s riches. In one bold move, he plundered a treasure vault and fled to the Material Plane. One of the treasures he stole was the Infinity Spindle, a crystalline shard from the early days of the multiverse that could transform even a creature as low as Raxivort into a demigod.

After he ascended to godhood, Raxivort forged a realm called the Black Sewers, within Pandesmos, the topmost layer of Pandemonium. He enjoyed his divine ascension only briefly, though, before Graz’zt unleashed his vengeance. The demon prince had no need to regain the Infinity Spindle, since he already possessed power greater than what it could grant.

Raxivort can hear their supplications, but he’s too afraid to come out of hiding most of the time. Occasionally, he does appear before a tribe of worshipers as a 9-foot-tall xvart carrying an empty sack.” - Volo’s Guide to Monsters

So in VGtM, demigods are a rank for actual deities able to hear and answer prayers, just like every other edition of the game. (Interestingly, it also places Graz’zt as more powerful than these true deity demigods.) The DMG sidebar is horrible in explaining deities in 5e, but that sidebar is what Jeremy Crawford points you at if you ask him (despite being credited as the managing director for VGtM, as well as the D&D lead rules developer).

I can’t get too bothered about great wyrms, because it just deflects back to the contradictory lore about deities in 5e in general, and the fact that the primary source (DMG) presents a worse version than the supplements since then. I think they just ignored the DMG afterwards and went with “Deities = Greater, Lesser, Demigods. Quasideities = Vestiges, Titans”.

Thing is even the Quasi Deities like Krakens can grant divine magic to Kraken Priests for example, I think it's just that they aren't intended for Player's.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Thing is even the Quasi Deities like Krakens can grant divine magic to Kraken Priests for example, I think it's just that they aren't intended for Player's.

I know that I, for one, would allow a player to play a cleric of Slakerthel (sp?) in FR if one wanted to.
Or a cleric of the high CR elementals (Phoenix, Elder Tempest, etc)

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I will admit I had wished for the other dragon gods to have gotten proper deity status with listed domains, tenants and the like.

However it really isn’t so much of an issue that it would prevent me from using all the other cool things from this book. Besides, my homebrew world doesn’t even have the typical dragon gods anyways so…

Remove ads

Remove ads