• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury of Dragons is Up on D&D Beyond!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is a relief, it's more open ended then, not just a straight up demotion.
It's interesting, they go out of their way to say that Bahumut and Tiamat are not "gods" to the other drsgons the way that the other gods are gods to their followers...more revered and powerful leaders, not deities. The God hood is something coming from mortal races seeing powerful dragons as godlike, and revering them.

I think they're pretty clear that the former dragon deities are now greatwyrms; it's brought up in multiple sidebars throughout the book. Not an idea I'm fond of, but WotC lore doesn't really matter anymore anyways. Lots of cool monsters and such in their though, so the book is still good.

Read the Gods and Religion section and it becomes clear that even Tiamat and Bahumut aren't "Gods" in the Typical sense, other Gods have their origins in the outer planes, Tiamat and Bahumut have their origins in the Material Plane, the "Gods" of the humanoid races have their origins in the outer planes.

So now we have Primordials that are Elemental Planes Gods, Ester (might have misspelled that term from 4e) the traditional Outer Planes Gods, and now Material Plane Gods, and some Gods that might be Archfey.

Interesting... While chromatic and metallic greatwyrms maintain many of their abilities according to their original type, gem dragon greatwyrms don't. They actually transform into basically what could be called diamond dragons (although it's not called that, just that they look diamond-like). Their mythic ability (although not called that as it's slightly different than other mythic abilities, but in the end basically the same thing) though - mass telekenisis on however many creatures they want within sight that can constrain, move, and/or do some nasty damage if the targets fail their saves - that's just plain rough to go up against...
Yeah if I'm ever DMing one of those, it's getting homebrewed to be unique for its type. I'm pretty annoyed at the homogenization of the great wyrms.

They should be more unique than ancient dragons, not less so.

Ixal

Hero
Because Half-Dragons are typically depicted with tails, and so Wotc wanted some minor physical trait to differentiate them. IMO, that's stupid and boring, but it's the reason. Draconblood Dragonborn from Exandria have tails, though (not sure if by RAW they're compatible with these new Dragonborn races, though).
Still strange that this differentiation is not needed, likely even not wanted, in MTG.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Read the Gods and Religion section and it becomes clear that even Tiamat and Bahumut aren't "Gods" in the Typical sense, other Gods have their origins in the outer planes, Tiamat and Bahumut have their origins in the Material Plane, the "Gods" of the humanoid races have their origins in the outer planes.

So now we have Primordials that are Elemental Planes Gods, Ester (might have misspelled that term from 4e) the traditional Outer Planes Gods, and now Material Plane Gods, and some Gods that might be Archfey.
Yeah, this goes back to what I said upthread about not caring for the lore in this book. Still got some good mechanical widgets though.

Yeah, this goes back to what I said upthread about not caring for the lore in this book. Still got some good mechanical widgets though.

The problem is that it's the lore that guides people into how to use the mechanics.

This book like MToF and VGTM before it is great for home brewers and players, but 90% of its lore is of little to no use for fans of settings and may confuse folks.

Huh, they have removed it. To be honest, I don't think I didn't realise they didn't have tails until reading some sort of debate. I often use art from the internet to get some idea of what people look like, and those images (being independent artwork) often show them with tails. I must never have looked too hard at the official artwork.
People who think dragonborn have tails are usually the folks who skipped 4e.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Is it worth even trying to classify gods? They're deities, they should be BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION.

Weiley31

Legend
In regards to whether or not Dragonborn have tails or not, I say just homebrew/add the one additional feature from either the Wildemount Draconblood(mmmm, Bacon) or Ravenite to your Fizban Dragonborns.

Cuz I'm totally sure its not gonna make your Gem Dragonborn broken if it can use Forceful Presence or a use of a Reaction to make a counterattack via Vengeful Attack.

Platinum Dragonborn of Bahamut/Dragonspawn of Tiamat would get both though........what? why are you looking at me like that?

Last edited:

Remove ads