D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury of Dragons is Up on D&D Beyond!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's here a bit early for those of you that have access to it on D&D Beyond. I'm starting to look through it, and can't help but feeling that this might be my favorite monster book in 5e (maybe tied with the Monster Manual).

What are everyone's thoughts so far?

It's really interesting how they are being purposely ambiguous about the power of the draconic deities. They really seem to straddle the line between deity and non-deity, so DMs can have it either way - if they want a lot of dragon gods, or just Tiamat and Bahamut.

Saridor's situation is just... weird.

Nice to see some several dragon organizations, and not just the Cult of the Dragon...

Last edited:

Interesting... While chromatic and metallic greatwyrms maintain many of their abilities according to their original type, gem dragon greatwyrms don't. They actually transform into basically what could be called diamond dragons (although it's not called that, just that they look diamond-like). Their mythic ability (although not called that as it's slightly different than other mythic abilities, but in the end basically the same thing) though - mass telekenisis on however many creatures they want within sight that can constrain, move, and/or do some nasty damage if the targets fail their saves - that's just plain rough to go up against...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've only browsed through it a bit while watching Netflix, I like a lot of stuff in here, though I do like the idea of the first world and dragons with counterparts across worlds, it was interesting to read, I also don't really want to use it in my actual games. I'll be using great wyrms if my players ever get high enough level to challenge one, or maybe it will be something they interact with but don't really fight.

Loving all of the different dragons in the book, my homebrew world uses dragons a lot so I mill likely be throwing some of them into the mix, along with steel dragons since I've already established one in my setting.

It's a good book that I'll be using alongside the older edition dragon books, I should get a lot of use out of it.

It's really interesting how they are being purposely ambiguous about the power of the draconic deities. They really seem to straddle the line between deity and non-deity, so DMs can have it either way - if they want a lot of dragon gods, or just Tiamat and Bahamut.

Saridor's situation is just... weird.

Nice to see some several dragon organizations, and not just the Cult of the Dragon...

That is a relief, it's more open ended then, not just a straight up demotion.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That is a relief, it's more open ended then, not just a straight up demotion.
I think they're pretty clear that the former dragon deities are now greatwyrms; it's brought up in multiple sidebars throughout the book. Not an idea I'm fond of, but WotC lore doesn't really matter anymore anyways. Lots of cool monsters and such in their though, so the book is still good.

jgsugden

Legend
I am not seeing any reference to Vorel - which I think is a missed opportunity. Bahamut (Dungeons & Dragons) - Wikipedia

An interesting book. I like some of the ideas as a way to make Dragons more iconic. I'll have to ponder it a bit before I toss it in - but I like it.

Raulothim’s Psychic Lance is an interesting spell in the hands of an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, especially with Distant Spell or Heightened Spell that has substituted this for one of their 4th level subclass spells. You can be 120/240 feet away from a creature, well hidden and out of view - and even if witnessed, showing no signs of spellcasting. Imagine a higher level spellcasting assassin that walks into the neighborhood of an enemy at night, casts this spell a few times on the target ... This spell doesn't do a lot of damage, but man is it scary if used right. And a 7th level Aberrant Mind Sorcerer could cast it up to 9 times without metamagic enhancement (4 SP per casting due to the subclass feature) - That is pretty reliably about 100 damage minimum if the target makes all their saves, and 220 damage if they fail them all and role average.

I think they're pretty clear that the former dragon deities are now greatwyrms; it's brought up in multiple sidebars throughout the book. Not an idea I'm fond of, but WotC lore doesn't really matter anymore anyways. Lots of cool monsters and such in their though, so the book is still good.
That's true, but it's the power of the more advanced greatwyrms which is what they are ambiguous about - are they powerful enough to be considered deities, or are they not quite there yet? The text can be read either way..

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That's true, but it's the power of the more advanced greatwyrms which is what they are ambiguous about - are they powerful enough to be considered deities, or are they not quite there yet? The text can be read either way..
Fair enough. For myself, i prefer them as deities rather making it explicit that they're up-jumped mortals, however powerful. None of the lore in Fizban really grabs me though. It strikes me as WotC trying to consolidate their IP in a single place, with their talk about important locations and beings that used to be exclusive to a specific campaign setting now being found in many.

Remove ads