Flame Strike and Light Bolt do damage to objects ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
Damage spells affect weapons as well as their owners ? How do you calculate damage to weapon from firball and others ?

So my group attacked some Hill Giants... the poor Hill Giant took a flame Strike followed by Flaming (lightning subst) bolt... total damage was greater than the 60 HP for Huge Club... so does his club get consumed on all this fire or not ? What about the hardness is it valid for weapons ?

hong

WotC's bitch
Rashak Mani said:
Damage spells affect weapons as well as their owners ? How do you calculate damage to weapon from firball and others ?

So my group attacked some Hill Giants... the poor Hill Giant took a flame Strike followed by Flaming (lightning subst) bolt... total damage was greater than the 60 HP for Huge Club... so does his club get consumed on all this fire or not ? What about the hardness is it valid for weapons ?

Your toys generally don't get affected by spells that affect you, unless you roll a natural 1 on your save. If the flame strike was enough to take out the hill giant, then its club would no longer be counted as an attended object, and would take full damage from the flaming bolt. Also, objects usually take half damage from energy attacks (like fire), but in the case of fire vs wood I'd grant full damage.

Crothian

First Post
Remember, anything that applies to the monsters applies to the PCs. Do you really want all your PCs to lose items every time they are attacked by magic?

prodawg

First Post
I usually do not count damage against objects if it is attended. So if the hill giant is holding his club, the club does not take damage from spell such as flamestrike. However, if the object is not attended, that's another story.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I´m against this damage to object thing on the basis of too much work and dirty tactics like using only fireballs to wipe out magic items and so forth !!

Remember, anything that applies to the monsters applies to the PCs. Do you really want all your PCs to lose items every time they are attacked by magic?

Guess what ? Its the PC Mage asking for this !! :)

Last edited:

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
IIRC, if you fail a save against such a spell, up to four items of yours must also save. Check the DMG, I know it's in there somewhere.

Gromm

First Post
PHB actually. p150
And it only happens if the target rolls a 1 (not if they drop).
Items are attended even if your killed. If someone wants to drop another fireball on your body to destroy your stuff more power to them, but I don't know anyone who would (PCs or NPCs).
Thats like a mugger killing you and then burning your wallet after hes killed you. They would always take the items for themselves.

Remove ads