Flanking in 4th Ed

Stomphoof

First Post
So I went to my LGS (I wouldnt say Fav) and got a test play of the new DND Mini's game.

He explained Flanking and actually stated that with 1 Ranged character, and 1 Melee character, you could now flank.

He used the following example. O is the "flankee" and the 2 numbers are the flankers

Code:
X1XX
XXXX
XXXX
XOXX
X2XX

He stated that with a single ranged character who could make a valid attack action against the target, if setup like that (both on opposite sides) with a melee fighter, you could now flank.

Is this true?

D'karr

Adventurer
Stomphoof said:
So I went to my LGS (I wouldnt say Fav) and got a test play of the new DND Mini's game.

He explained Flanking and actually stated that with 1 Ranged character, and 1 Melee character, you could now flank.

He used the following example. O is the "flankee" and the 2 numbers are the flankers

Code:
X1XX
XXXX
XXXX
XOXX
X2XX

He stated that with a single ranged character who could make a valid attack action against the target, if setup like that (both on opposite sides) with a melee fighter, you could now flank.

Is this true?

I don't know if that is the case in DDM but in D&D you must be adjacent to be able to flank. You may flank with a ranged weapon, that is true. But the diagram as shown is not a valid flank in D&D.

ozziewolf

First Post
It's the same as before you both have to be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides the only difference is now you can grant combat advantage even when wielding a ranged weapon.

Last edited:

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
ozziewolf said:
It's the same as before you both have to be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides the only difference is now you can grant combat advantage even when wielding a ranged weapon.

I believe you, but can you point me to where that is? I apparently need to re-read a section.

ozziewolf

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
I believe you, but can you point me to where that is? I apparently need to re-read a section.

pages 279-280 and 285

Keep in mind that unless the book specifically states otherwise it's as its written.

For example being blinded and dazed it specifically says you don't grant combat advantage against your enemies.

However going prone it doesn't say that so being prone you still grant combat advantage to your allies if they're opposite from you.

Same with thing with this regardless if it's an unarmed attack or a melee/ranged weapon they still give combat advantage to allies opposite the monster.

Starfox

Adventurer
phb p 285 said:
To flank an enemy, you and an ally must be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides

Emphasis mine.

So, sure you can use a missile weapon to flank - but actually using it that way will trigger an attack of opportunity.

Remove ads