D&D 5E Flat math ability scores vs roleplay considerations

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The 1st level halfling fighter that's as strong as a hill giant messes with my head.

In AD&D (IIRC), an 18 Strength means you can lift your own body weight over your head. In 3.x, a Large creature can carry twice as much as a Medium creature. These both indicate that the Strength score on its own does not tell you how much force they can exert.

So in a contest between a halfling (small) with STR 20 and a hill giant (huge) with STR 20, I'd say the giant wins, and it's not close.

Of course, the playtest rules don't say this, but i guess that's the "rulings not rules" for you.

kerleth

Explorer
Majoru, I don't think your claim about flatter math is true. Ability scores for pc's are capped at 20, unless I misunderstood the packet. That means that whether you get it at 1st level or 16th level it is still going to be within the same range. The flat math still functions the way it should. Although I do agree with everyone "requiring" their prime score be maxed out being annoying. I don't think this is going to be the case as much in next. I made a fighter who prioritized wisdom and charisma over his physical scores in the last packet and he seemed pretty awesome on paper. I was excited, though I never got to play him. I think that a 15% difference in probability between the party weakling and the party heman is just to small and would make me not care about ability scores. Finally, if there are no stat increases, how would you model people increasing their abilities with experience, like an athlete becoming overall stronger like in real life? Skill training does not suffice for this because it is too narrow. While a complete rethinking of how ability scores work is possible, I think that's highly unlikely and would not "feel like D&D" to many people. Please note that none of this post is sarcastic, I'm honestly curious what your suggestions to these issues are.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Majoru, I don't think your claim about flatter math is true. Ability scores for pc's are capped at 20, unless I misunderstood the packet.
I haven't completed read the packet yet. When I posted that, I didn't even know there was a new packet. I've seen the place where it says they are capped at 20 now. I'd rather prefer they were capped at 18, making certain races more likely to get a maxed out stat but not actually be stronger than the max. It would also help the flatten he math.

I think that a 15% difference in probability between the party weakling and the party heman is just to small and would make me not care about ability scores.
That's what I'd like to see. I started playing with 2e. When a Fighter rolled 18/50 vs 10 for their strength, no one cared that much. The difference was +1 to hit and +3 damage. Nice to have, but not game breaking. On the other hand, there was a large difference in the amount you could lift, the chance to bend bars/lift gates, and open doors. It was mostly the roleplaying aspect of being big and strong rather than your ability to win or lose a fight that was impacted because of your stats.

We still cared about stats, but they weren't nearly the big deal they've become since. I want to reiterate, I HATE that stats are so important to combat now that if you have a 10 strength Fighter, you might as well not bother showing up.

I hate that your strength often has more to do with how often you hit and how much damage you do than your skill does. I'd like stats to factor in much more heavily into skills and less into attacks, damage, hitpoints, and ac.

I also don't like con modifier hitpoints per level.

Finally, if there are no stat increases, how would you model people increasing their abilities with experience, like an athlete becoming overall stronger like in real life? Skill training does not suffice for this because it is too narrow. While a complete rethinking of how ability scores work is possible, I think that's highly unlikely and would not "feel like D&D" to many people. Please note that none of this post is sarcastic, I'm honestly curious what your suggestions to these issues are.
Once again, in 2e stats never went up. Periodically, you would hear someone complain that no matter how many push ups they did, their strength wouldn't go up. Though it never caused any real problems.

If stats had less effect on combat, I'd have no problem with increasing stats. Otherwise you convince people to min-max their characters with point buy methods or just commit suicide over and over again until they roll high enough.

Even if stats had less effect on combat, I dislike the idea that you get stat increases every couple of levels just because. To me, it should be an option you choose.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
In the latest packet I see they have an optional point buy system which seems to cap at 15, not the expected 18. I personally find this very interesting, and my initial thoughts are I like it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We still cared about stats, but they weren't nearly the big deal they've become since. I want to reiterate, I HATE that stats are so important to combat now that if you have a 10 strength Fighter, you might as well not bother showing up.

I mostly go the other way -- it goes too much against my intuition to have someone who is only "average" in the most important attribute for a profession be almost as good as someone, all else being equal, who is a paragon. Flyweights should be pounded by heavy weights, people of average dexterity shouldn't almost qualify for the Olympics in gymnastics, and it seems reasonable to me that people of average intellect should reach their limit in math long before they get close to the PhD level classes.

I am open to some tweaking though...
1) Something that allows DEX to sub for STR in some cases, for those cases where all-else isn't equal.
2) Using the 3e 12=+1, 14=+2, 16=+3, 18=+4 for to hit, saves, and skill checks, but cutting the bonuses applied to damage in half so it better matches the scale of weapon damage.

Another solution is to just force all the PCs to be average... which means they're adventurers in a world where about 1/4 of the population is noticeably better suited for adventuring than they are (except in temperament) . That just seems odd... especially if its coupled with no ability increases.

Otherwise you convince people to min-max their characters with point buy methods...
I think a lot of types of gamers will do this anyway. But why shouldn't someone whose character conception is a not-to-bright, socially inept, fighter trying to fit into the world min-max to rock in pure combat? Say they do... if you want your character to be smart, quick, and charismatic, why should you also get to be almost as good at beating people up?

One of my favorite things with character generation has been when the DM has said "make your character idea and pick the stats that fit it". In the current 1e game I'm in, I think only one of the characters has a score above 16 (and so virtually no one thought it was important to have many the large bonuses, even when we were free to take them). In a VtM game that used this system the GM just used other aspects of the game to balance out what we chose.

...or just commit suicide over and over again until they roll high enough.
Like trying to qualify for some of the classes in 1e :)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
But why shouldn't someone whose character conception is a not-to-bright, socially inept, fighter trying to fit into the world min-max to rock in pure combat? Say they do... if you want your character to be smart, quick, and charismatic, why should you also get to be almost as good at beating people up?
The natural answer to your question is because (i) it won't break the game, and (ii) if one of the PCs is a socially inept min-maxed combat rocker, a high proportion of conflicts are likely to turn into combats, at which point any other PC's social and intellectual abilities won't be worth much.

Zustiur

Explorer
I'm in favor of not having stat increases. It causes problems with the math. If you want flatter math, it should be universally flatter. Slowing down the increase to attack bonuses from going up levels does nothing if you can still increase your stats every couple of levels.

Then again, I already don't like the fact that stats matter so much. Ideally, I'd like to see the difference between an Excellent stat modifier and a Terrible stat modifier to be no larger than 3 to discourage people from maxing their prime stats.

Both 3e and 4e annoyed me with their "Every character starts with a 20 in their prime stat or you are an idiot" philosophy. And it looks like it's coming back in D&D Next.
I strongly agree with Majoru Oakheart. I want to de-emphasise ability scores and thus de-emphasise Min-Maxing.

I also agree with Cadence. Adventurers should not be average commoners who happen to have a class. They should be pinnacles of their race. Yet, I don't see them as 1 adventurer in 1,000,000 peasants. If all NPC villains and numerous guards are to be considered classed, then I see adventurers in the top 10%, not the top 1%.

I hope that makes sense.

Taking both arguments into account, how about we *gasp* disconnect skills etc from combat stats. e.g.
Use the +1 per every 2 stat points for skills, but +1 per every 3 stat points for combat things.
so, 10-11 = normal average
12=+1 to skills
13=+1 to combat
14=+2 to skills
15=err, nothing. hmm oops
16=+3 to skills, +2 to combat

Actually, I see a problem there. If we disassociate, it would be better to spread the points across each attribute score. So, attempt #2
so, 10-11 = normal average
12=+1 to skills
13=+1 to combat
14=+2 to skills
15=+3 to skills
16=+2 to combat
17=+4 to skills
18=+5 to skills
19=+3 to combat
20=+6 to skills

That doesn't have to be the final table, but hopefully demonstrates the point I'm trying to make.

Class means more if attributes mean less. If a 10 str fighter is only 15% worse at hitting than a 20 str fighter, but the 20 str fighter is twice as good at lifting heavy weights, I see that as a good thing.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The natural answer to your question is because (i) it won't break the game, and (ii) if one of the PCs is a socially inept min-maxed combat rocker, a high proportion of conflicts are likely to turn into combats, at which point any other PC's social and intellectual abilities won't be worth much.

Overstating things a bit... I guess one solution is to set the system up to allow for flexibility with the default that all characters' ability scores must be between 8 and 13 and the only class options must be chosen to nearly balance social, intellecutal, and combat capabilities.

Another would be to take that effects of scroes from 8 to 13 and renumber them 3 to 18 and to give everyone a high base in each skill to allow the players the illusion that the choices they are making in character creation actually reflect something important about how their character interacts with the world. ;)

But seriously, while I don't think I've every had either (i) or (ii) in my 3/3.5/PF play, I certainly understand why avoiding the situation would be valuable.

Does having an old style Barbarian who loathes anything about magic, or a too-rigid Paladin, or the chaotic-evil trouble making PC disrupt things just as much? Is there some guidance that could be put in the character creation setting in both the PHB and DMG that would help avoid both problems, and maybe make the need for restricting flexibility in the RAW a bit less important?

pemerton

Legend
Does having an old style Barbarian who loathes anything about magic, or a too-rigid Paladin, or the chaotic-evil trouble making PC disrupt things just as much?
The paladin, at least, disrupts things in a different way (I think) - it doesn't seem to favour any particular action resolution pillar.

I lose track of which threads I see people posting on, so I'm not sure if you're following some of the threads that are chock-full of rogue anguish in relation to the current packet. There seems to be a lot of concern that a PC who trades of combat effectiveness for exploration/social effectiveness is, in the end, just ineffective. And this in relation to a rogue who is (until 6th level, at least) "almost as good at beating people up".

In the real world, in many situations there are strong constraints - social (eg external constraints, internalised norms) and emotional (fear, shame, affection, etc) - that limit the escalation of non-violent conflict into violent conflict. In a traditional fantasy RPG basically none of these constraints is in operation. Which means that a player whose PC is one-sidedly weak in social but uber in combat can almost always escalate situations into ones in which the weakness won't matter.

Furthermore, because D&D emphasises party play, and because the consequences of losing combat in D&D are typically PC death, this puts a lot of pressure on the GM. If the GM responds to the escalating PC with lethal force, the other PCs either have to dissociate from him/her (thus wrecking party play) or else have to help take on the lethal force, which is actually more dangerous to them than to the one-sided PC.

It should be noted that other RPGs, which either don't emphasise party play so strongly, or which don't emphasise the lethality of force so strongly, or which have various sorts of mechanicsms to discourage escalation to violence, aren't necessarily vulnerable in the same way. (Which is not to say that they're better RPGs. Just different from traditional D&D.)

Whether the barbarian and the "evil" PC are disruptive in the same way as the one-sided PC would depend on whether they default to violence. If so, then probably they are.

Is there some guidance that could be put in the character creation setting in both the PHB and DMG that would help avoid both problems, and maybe make the need for restricting flexibility in the RAW a bit less important?
As you can see from the above, I think the issue is not just about character creation. It is about action resolution, and the mechanical and fictional context within which the GM frames challenges.

The history of RPGing, and of debates over "munchkins" and "power gamers" suggests that social contract is not enough. If character building is to be balanced across the 3 pillars (ie the flexibility that you mention) then there need to be mechanical features of the game that prevent, or at least strongly disincentivise, escalation of all conflicts to violence. The only version of D&D to come close to having such mechanics has been 4e (because of its skill challenge mechanics and corresponding XP rules for non-combat conflict resolution and goal attainment).

It could be suggested that strong alignment rules (and comparable mechanics like strong honour rules in Oriental Adventures) have played this role in D&D, but in my own view those systems are at least as dysfunctional as the problem they are meant to be solving.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I mostly go the other way -- it goes too much against my intuition to have someone who is only "average" in the most important attribute for a profession be almost as good as someone, all else being equal, who is a paragon. Flyweights should be pounded by heavy weights, people of average dexterity shouldn't almost qualify for the Olympics in gymnastics, and it seems reasonable to me that people of average intellect should reach their limit in math long before they get close to the PhD level classes.
The real problem is that skills and stats can't easily be codified. Is that heavy weight good because he's strong or strong because he boxes all the time? Is that gymnast good at acrobatics because they are dexterous or are they dexterous because they spend all day stretching and practicing acrobatics? And is "being dexterous" in terms of being good at acrobatics really the same as "being dexterous" in terms of manual dexterity such as picking locks? Could it be that the gymnast who appears to be dexterous is simply countering her lack of natural dexterity with an overwhelming amount of skill? If she were put into another environment that required dexterity (such as archery) would she immediately be great at it?

I kind of dislike stats as anything other than a role playing thing because of that. The best fencers in the world don't have Arnold Schwartzenegger sized muscles to be able to hit better. Strength should mostly be a damage thing.

I think skill should matter more than stats. A really skilled mountain climber likely has some upper body strength. But it's likely nowhere near that of a championship weight lifter. Though I would suspect the weight lifter would be worse at climbing if he's never been before. I think if a skill is going to give you +3, a stat should never give you more than +2.

Another solution is to just force all the PCs to be average... which means they're adventurers in a world where about 1/4 of the population is noticeably better suited for adventuring than they are (except in temperament) . That just seems odd... especially if its coupled with no ability increases.
I generally assume average stats(ie all 10s) for all NPCs except where there's a notable reason that someone needs more than that. Sure, there is a periodic smart person or strong person, but they are rare. Generally, I assume that the dice don't determine the actual odds of having that stat for NPCs. Instead it should be something like 50% of people are 10 or below in a stat. Then the rest of the numbers are split in half each stat increase(25% have an 11 in that stat, 12.5% have a 12, 6.25% have a 13, and so on). The dice are just for the players.

As for stat increases. I'd much rather a system where becoming good at a skill raised the associated stat slightly. Train in climbing? You are bound to acquire some strength. Train in acrobatics? You get more dexterous. But only up to a limit. And frankly, it should take longer to go up the closer you are to the limit.

I think a lot of types of gamers will do this anyway. But why shouldn't someone whose character conception is a not-to-bright, socially inept, fighter trying to fit into the world min-max to rock in pure combat? Say they do... if you want your character to be smart, quick, and charismatic, why should you also get to be almost as good at beating people up?
Because, in my experience combat is 90% of the game. And even when it doesnt take that much time, combat is more important since it is often life or death. Whereas quick and smart is a role playing choice mostly for flavor. There are quick and smart ways of killing people that are just as effective as brute force ways.

The game gets very frustrating for people when it proceeds like this:
Player 1: I outsmart the guy at the store and charm him to giving us a discount. I'm really good at that.
DM: Alright, you get your supplies and head out on your expedition to the cavern of certain doom. Along the way, you run into an ogre. It swings at Player 1 and does 20 damage.
Player 1: Umm, I'm dead.
Player 2: Really? Cause I have 20 hitpoints from just my Con modifier for 4 levels. Oh well, I swing at the monster doing 25 damage to it. It dies. That was easy.
Player 1: For you, maybe.

One of my favorite things with character generation has been when the DM has said "make your character idea and pick the stats that fit it". In the current 1e game I'm in, I think only one of the characters has a score above 16 (and so virtually no one thought it was important to have many the large bonuses, even when we were free to take them). In a VtM game that used this system the GM just used other aspects of the game to balance out what we chose.
Well, it must be nice to play with those kind of players. I can tell you if I told my players to do that, they'd have at least two 18s each.

Though, my original point was that in 1e stats mattered less. If we were playing 1e, it's likely that almost no one would take 18s, since they didn't give you much. Con modifiers were nearly useless to you if you weren't a fighter, strength didn't become very useful unless you were a fighter, and most of the other stats didn't do much of anything.

As for VtM, if you are referring to using "other aspects" to mean using role playing disadvantages to cancel out combat benefits, I can tell you it rarely works. I ran a game of 2e using skills and powers once(where it let you separate your stats into two substats and choose which stat bonuses you got. Plus you could take disadvantages like "antisocial" in exchange for using d12s for hitpoints instead of d10s). I thought it was great because it let people customize their characters exactly how they wanted them. A friend of mine said it was really dumb and set out to prove it. He took nearly every social and role playing disadvantage in the book and bought nearly every combat benefit he could find. Then he rolled stats over and over again, each time claiming that his character immediately committed suicide if he stats weren't good enough.

The game started when he went into the bar and immediately started pissing off everyone in it with his personality quirks. He eventually started a bar fight, and killed each and every person who attacked him(he didn't know how to hold back, one of the disadvantages that got him the points). Eventually guards showed up to stop him. He beat them soundly and took their stuff, making him even better. So I threw better guards at him. He beat them, took their stuff and went up a level. I told him I'd eventually beat him by using enemies 10 or so levels above him. He agreed but pointed out that his disadvantages hadn't made the game any more fun to run(he wouldn't have started the bar fight, but his disadvantages made him) and he was able to fight enemies designed for entire parties of 5th level characters solo since he had all the extra combat ability. I'd kill him eventually, but then the game would be over and no one would have had any fun.

The same thing happened with the 2e thief kit Swashbuckler that gave you the thac0 of a fighter and some more combat benefits in exchange for "trouble finding you more often". Half the time the DM had a plot planned and didn't have room for adding "extra trouble" just because someone chose the kit. The other half of the time, the player loved it, because the plot revolved around him, he got more "screen time" and often got more xp and treasure for fighting off the trouble.

We eventually agreed that choosing to act like an idiot shouldn't give you combat benefits whether it was due to a disadvantage system or simply because "big, dumb barbarian" was your role playing concept.

Remove ads