Flat World design

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's cool info to know! I wonder, since I'm planning to use dragons a LOT in this world, what a creature a mile high in the air could see? How far? Maths is my absolute weak point, so I can't even try to work it out...
Well...
“An eagle can see something the size of a rabbit at more than three miles away.”

]

I’d use that as a benchmark for dragons.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
That's cool info to know! I wonder, since I'm planning to use dragons a LOT in this world, what a creature a mile high in the air could see? How far? Maths is my absolute weak point, so I can't even try to work it out...

That's really going to be dependent more on the visual acuity of dragons...and intervening weather, etc. Hawks are believed to have an acuity about 10x that of humans, so maybe 50km for an aerial predator like a dragon?

Another thing to keep in mind is that signal towers, especially with even crude telescopes, will be very effective. (see the Clacks in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.)

EDIT: Another limiting factor will be moisture in the air. Even if we wouldn't call it a "fog", it tends to "grey out" the stuff behind it, if you're looking through enough moist air.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Given that 250 mi/400km is considered maximum clear air visibility... past that, the inherent haziness of air (as opposed to pure air-content gas mix), everything past is progressively blurrier. Mountains like McKinley can be seen for several hundred miles on earth, but it's blurry towards the ends...

And, while the eagle's eye is human-eye sized, it's angular resolution appears to be about 6× that of humans at the fovea... so instead of 0.5" of arc, about 0.08333" of arc... so that 14cm per km becomes 2.3 cm per km.
So, looking for a 2m cow, that dragon can probably, if looking, be (using same units, thus meters, and the 1:1000 for range) length/resolution:range:: 2/0.023:: around 85 units, thus 85km as a single pixel. ABout 40km to note it as a life form (being 2 wide and 1-2 tall).... and about 30 km to note it as a bovid...

Note also, the angular resolution is for the peak visual acuity... peripheral is more than 5x worse...

Ratskinner

Adventurer
One more thing I am now contemplating. A moon or moons....I have noidea how they could work.

Well, you have this dome...maybe the inner surface, or some other layer, isn't solid. The moons, and even aurora or planets, could float along in that liquid layer. If you're having gods and the like, maybe they are disruptions caused by some past event.

Edit: Heck, what if the moon is just the sun on power-saving mode. During the day, the whole dome is lit by it, but at night it powers down to the white-ish disc we all know.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Well, you have this dome...maybe the inner surface, or some other layer, isn't solid. The moons, and even aurora or planets, could float along in that liquid layer. If you're having gods and the like, maybe they are disruptions caused by some past event.

Edit: Heck, what if the moon is just the sun on power-saving mode. During the day, the whole dome is lit by it, but at night it powers down to the white-ish disc we all know.

oooh...depending on your cosmo-theology:
The moon/sun is a giant wheel, stuck in a sandwich layer of the dome. A Titan is imprisoned in the wheel and doomed to push it forever, but a goddess took pity on him and he only has to push it half the time. When he pushes it, the massive friction lights up the whole sky and creates tremendous heat that we call the day. When he rests, the wheel cools and shines much more dimly, which we call the night.

This could give you a really weird astronomy, plus seasons! The sun moves during the day, some fraction of the way around its track in the sky (this would be 1/365 for Earth). Then it stops at night, the moon remaining stationary, but in a different position, each night. One loop around the wheel-track takes a year, and summer (for your part of the disc) is when the wheel is closest to your portion of the disc, winter is when its farthest. Over the course of the year, the wheel would trace an ellipse-y shape in the sky. Near the center of the disc, the ellipse would be more circular.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hmmm.... I already have a pulsing volcanic eruption creating day and night... it both creates the "force" sky and the energy that makes it glow during the day. I have small "star crystals" that slowly get pushed further "out" over time as the daily eruption cycle happens. I suppose the moon could simply be a much larger chunk of crystal-stuff (maybe different material). It glows more and more brightly each day until it reaches peak brightness, and then suddenly darkens after giving off a single brilliant flash of light. This could happen every thirty days or so. There would, of course, be myths involving various gods that explains why it happens.

But that would mean the moon is essentially fixed in one slowly shifting spot in the sky, and, like the stars, would eventually reach the mountains at the edge of the world. It would then either be pushed down behind them, or get stuck, or something...

I guess there could be more than one Moon, thus providing moonlight fairly evenly across much of the world. Some areas might even be double-lit by two moons and be extra bright all night.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Hmmm.... I already have a pulsing volcanic eruption creating day and night... it both creates the "force" sky and the energy that makes it glow during the day. I have small "star crystals" that slowly get pushed further "out" over time as the daily eruption cycle happens. I suppose the moon could simply be a much larger chunk of crystal-stuff (maybe different material). It glows more and more brightly each day until it reaches peak brightness, and then suddenly darkens after giving off a single brilliant flash of light. This could happen every thirty days or so. There would, of course, be myths involving various gods that explains why it happens.

But that would mean the moon is essentially fixed in one slowly shifting spot in the sky, and, like the stars, would eventually reach the mountains at the edge of the world. It would then either be pushed down behind them, or get stuck, or something...

I guess there could be more than one Moon, thus providing moonlight fairly evenly across much of the world. Some areas might even be double-lit by two moons and be extra bright all night.

Well...You've already got the daily eruptions. Maybe the moon is even more inconstant than on earth. Like every 30 days or so the volcano belches out <something> that sticks to the sky and slides down to the edge of the dome over the next few weeks, getting dimmer/smaller as it goes. Sometimes it takes too long in between and you have moonless nights, sometimes it happens too rapidly and you have two moons at once. "In the time of my Great Grandfather, they once had three moons for two nights. Old folks said you could almost read outside at night." or "Sometime the moon is big, sometimes small. Grandpa says once when he was a kid, the moon was so big and bright that nobody could sleep for a week."

It would be a benchmark that people would use to mark time in the absence of our regular astronomical means. "Before the double moons of Hannon's reign." or "Born under two moons."

Also, just thinking out loud. It might be visually neat if "sky-stuff" trickled up from the volcano all night.

I once did a flat world a long time ago. But it was infinite, archipelagos of islands on an infinite sea. We had "Weather Towers" that generated the local weather for a couple hundred miles. Legend was that ancient druids had built them and raised the Islands. But if they still existed, they were far off on the "edge" of the archipelagos. Some of the weather towers had gone haywire, and when they did, they attracted appropriate dragons. Day and night just happened, but some folks said that there was a great island in the "center" that had a huge tower that made day and night like the weather towers made weather.

aramis erak

Legend
The Moon could also be an eternally bouncing ball moving in the opposite direction to the star rotations...
or a plate on a wheel that turns the world at the rim.... half the time below the mountain.Or be two such plates...

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
This video describes a potentially interesting gravitational effect on a flat earth. See 0:30 - 2:00. Seems closer you get to the edge, the "steeper" it seems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases