• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flavors of Sorcery

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The back story of Tomas Alban whom I based on Solomon Kane and started as a rogue/fighter scorcerer went like this

long ago during the Spring Festival his young mother got to be 'May Queen' which is an honoured position in the old pagan fertility rites. As a result she was pursued by the 'Greenman' (also an honoured position) and bumped ugly with him. Well it turns out that that particular greenman was old Farmer Plods' son Jack in a funny suit it was the REAL Green Man, the Leshye, the Erl-King, Llecholan his very self!

ergo Tomas develops Plant powers as he takes on aspects of the Green

Also Orbril the gnome is an alchemist who I have cast as scorcerer a few times inorder to get him the ability to blow things up (which unfortunately DnD Alchemy rules don't much help with) - so I suppose he's a Techno-Scorcerer

Li Shenron

Legend
The Traveler said:
Are there any I didn't cover that you find particularly good?

You forgot the least supernatural one: a Sorcerer who has normally learned sorceries from simple trial and error, eventually from a master or a witch. The idea of Sorcerer = gifted from birth is suggested by the PHB (and has spawned some largely accepted ideas such as "Sorcerers should NOT be required to use materials"), but it is not the only one.

For example, in Rokugan IIRC there are a few Sorcerers (as the PHB ones), and they don't have any bloodline or divine blessing. They are mostly solitary people who have learned "tricks" with weird herbs and ingredients, quite like witchcraft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads