• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Flavourful Tweaks (3e/4e/PF especially)

Kannik

Hero
Interesting! I'm not sure I'd run a campaign with that mechanic, but I'd definitely be willing to play in one. Lots of interesting moving parts to fiddle with.

Propose it to your DM during your next campaign start-up. ;) It, along with the magic item tweaking, has let some very interesting "new" abilities be created and boosted the memorability of the characters. One character in our campaign include a mini-dragonborn who was raised by and thinks he's a kobold... using halfling as the mechanics race. Definitively fun to have in the group and created a lot of amusing moments, and it was seamless to include by using the halfling mechanics.

Am I understanding correctly that you are mechanically creating the particular race you want using the mechanical trappings of any race you want?

So I can create a elf that has an attack as a dragon breath mechanically instead of his normal attribute of elven accuracy, and I can flavor it as a fire attack from, for example, a circus act.

Interesting premise. It sure would make the races be more personal.

Pretty much, yes. In your example, your elf would gain the stat bonuses, skill trainings, special abilities, and etc of a dragonborn. So you'd have a strong and elf with strong personality projection (from all those years in the circus -- imagine one of the hand balancers from Cirque Du Soleil!), who learned fire juggling and other fire tricks, and knows the show must go on (surge value bonus and bloodied attack bonus). Et voila, a whole new character concept and background from the get go full of flavour and panache... and as you say, it's now very personal to the player, which has a tendency to show up beautifully at the RP table. :)

gamingly,

Kannik

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did something- err...INTENDED to do something- like that in a homebrew post-apocalyptic 3.X campaign I wanted to run.

Instead of having people poach stuff from other races, I would have had them use the mechanic from Midnight 2Ed which superimposed a set of benefits upon their PCs based on their "background".

MoutonRustique

Explorer
In essence, races have no special benefits and every one gets an extra "theme" chosen from the race list (the "theme" is the racial powers and traits.)

Most impressive and excellent use of re-fluff!

Endur

First Post
You can also do something similar with magic items by calling them mutations or magical abilitites instead of gear.

Instead of having a +2 giant strength belt, your character has been magically mutated to have the strength of an ogre.

From a mechanics perspective, you still have the equivalent of a +2 belt of strength. But from a flavor perspective, you have ogre strength as a magical ability, not dependent on gear.

Kannik

Hero
I did something- err...INTENDED to do something- like that in a homebrew post-apocalyptic 3.X campaign I wanted to run. Instead of having people poach stuff from other races, I would have had them use the mechanic from Midnight 2Ed which superimposed a set of benefits upon their PCs based on their "background".

Ahh, very nice. I've recently been blog-musing (blusing? musloging?) on an RPG system design, and for character species and background I've been considering something similar with a number of "layers" that would define certain abilities and traits: physiological aspects of the species (which does not include any stat bonuses, though that's a longer post), society upbringing (to account for the elf raised in dwarven lands kinda thing), formative years/background, & "profession". I could see removing the strict species physiological layer and have it be more of some benefits with a story you want to craft to "explain" them as you want...

MoutonRustique said:
In essence, races have no special benefits and every one gets an extra "theme" chosen from the race list (the "theme" is the racial powers and traits.)

That's a really good way of describing it. :D

You can also do something similar with magic items by calling them mutations or magical abilitites instead of gear. Instead of having a +2 giant strength belt, your character has been magically mutated to have the strength of an ogre. From a mechanics perspective, you still have the equivalent of a +2 belt of strength. But from a flavor perspective, you have ogre strength as a magical ability, not dependent on gear.

Ayup, that's basically what the DM did in the second part of my post; however you wanted to acquire the magic item benefit, you got to describe it: a new ability or training you gained, infusion with magical energy, special runes carved on your body, another of your magical spells, a higher attribute/development, or an actual magic item if you so desire. The flavour's great, and the mechanics stay the same, including slot limitations (so if you "swap out" your ability, you'd change your story too) and potential item downsides.

gamingly,

Kannik

fjw70

Adventurer
Interesting ideas. I have considered doing similar things, especially with the races. I like restricting races in the world but I also understand that some players like the mechanical bits of the unusual races. I also don't like race being a mechanical choice and prefer it being background/story decision. I will have to try this.

The magic item idea is good to keep from having the magic item Christmas tree effect. I usually just make magic items rare and use inherent bonuses.

I have been mulling over some ideas for my next 4e campaign and I will trough these on the list.

In a recent campaign our DM made a couple of tweaks to character building and progression that I found to really enhance the flavour of our game, and I thought I’d share them here. They might not work in all campaign styles, but they may be of use and open up some possibilities for what you’re up to. While these tweaks were done in a 4e game, I’d say they’d work fine in most editions or PF.

The first change was that our DM directed us to choose both an RP race and a mechanics race. It is pretty much as it sounds: your character was your RP race (elf, human, etc), but you built them as though they were the mechanics race. Any special mechanics, such as a dragonborn’s breath weapon, had to be explained in an RP sense. Continuing that dragonborn example, as an elven mage your "breath weapon" could be another one of your spells, or as a human paladin the "breath weapon" could be one of your special holy smites.

It was a bit of an adjustment to me at first, so different from the usual strict racial construction, but once we got into it I found it very nifty. The “feel” of the races were not diminished in any way, with the majority of the feel being provided by RP and personality – an elf still felt like an elf. And when that extra layer of special ability from the mechanics race was tied into a character’s class or upbringing or background, it made for a richer character concept. Even if two PCs had the same special abilities from the same mechanics race, but with different RP races, that each of these similar effects were being produced by different story reasons actually worked to differentiate the characters even more rather than make them seem similar.

The second thing the DM instituted was in regards to magic items. 3e/PF/4e campaigns can be awash in magic items, and that’s cool but we found it could lead to a Christmas tree ornament effect where a good amount of the character’s utility or oomph came from accessorizing rather than from some developed ability. Similar to races, what the DM did here was use the mechanics of magic items without them actually having to be (RP wise it was our choice) magic items. In effect it was turning many of the magic items into the same idea as “boons”, albeit still using up item slots and etc for mechanics/balance purposes. The DM still provided explicit magic items as well, though these were considered rare and special and usually had specific, story, or extraordinary power to them, and thus kept the air of something special and unique.

Allowing the effects of magic items to be tied to the character as an ability they’ve developed, rather than just because they’re wearing some boots, worked wonders to boost the investment of the player in their character and to having the character feel more complete. For example, our runecaster (itself using the mechanics of the artificer with the flavour of dwarven rune magic) carved himself certain runic stone tablets that he wore as part of his kit (he was covered head to toe in small stone tablets) that gained him protection from elemental effects; mechanically it was a cloak that provided bonuses to defenses from elemental attacks. For the runecaster to develop this ability as a protection to themselves fit the flavour of the class/character very well, a grand development of their growing skill, and we liked that feel more than the more mundane luck of finding and relying on item X.

All together for us in our group, the flavour and interestingness of each character grew from these tweaks, and the flavour of the world (especially vis-a-vis magic items) also hewed closer to the style we wanted to play, all while keeping it easy by sticking to the established rules and expectations (in modules, monsters, and etc) therein. We have lots of fun with it. :D

gamingly,

Kannik

Hmmmm, yeah, all of this is rather in keeping with my own trajectory. I've thoroughly hacked my game for the next campaign I run to the extent that it really isn't even 4e anymore. I have reworked EVERYTHING into boons, so there's no need for 'mechanics race', you simply take the boon 'Draconic Heritage' instead of 'Highly Adaptable' and your 'human' is now mechanically a 'Dragonborn' except of course narratively they're still human and we'd perhaps consider the implications for any other game mechanic when it came up, though in general they would be tied to the heritage boon, not your narrative race. This is essentially the same thing your GM is doing, just taken to its logical endpoint.

As far as items go, I think you can play games whichever way, but I've filed away all the simple expected mechanical effects of items, such as enhancement bonus. I think most of us have already either done that or certainly come to an understanding that it would be for the best in general.

I've reduced all benefits of all sorts to boons, so at this point gaining a new power could mean you picked up an item that grants it, or you might have learned a spell, or you might have been infused with necrotic energy during that romp in the shaded lands. Classes and archetypes have some basic mechanics that characters can always access, class features if you will, but everything else is some level of consequence of a boon, and ALL boons are narrative.

I also hit on a good solution to build issues. All boons are narrative, and all 'XP' are granted based on acquisition of boons. In fact I made it simple, you get one level every time you acquire a major boon. This way instead of experience driving acquisition of new character elements the acquisition of the elements now drives level, which of course still determines your hit points and other scaling character attributes.

What this does is annihilate the concept of methodological character building as its own separate activity. You can of course have your character, as a matter of his goals and ambitions, attempt to acquire specific boons and thus 'build your character' in a certain way. That's fine because there will automatically be a narrative coherence to that, and it will represent a process of RPing. Players can still fiddle around with which powers they decide to learn, and often they'll have a pretty clear choice of whatever boons they want, but it all becomes a much more organic process. Plus when a character finally achieves that really awesome capability its earned, presumably. You actually had to go kill the big bad dragon to get the awesome vorpal sword that lets you lop of people's heads on a crit, and you are guaranteed that achieving it will make your character just that much badder and tougher. I'm honestly a bit shocked no RPG has previously enacted this sort of mechanic AFAIK.

Hmmm...how do you reflavor something clearly supernatural when your actual class is pretty mundane?

I personally think that this needs to be something where a system caters to different needs. If you want to have a very non-magical-seeming fighter then you wouldn't pick "swing weapon so fast it creates a blast effect", instead you might select "kick 'em in the head until dead to stun enemies." I thought if you were careful with your power, feat, etc selections in 4e you could pretty well tweak that, but I don't think the designers really aimed for it consciously.

Kannik

Hero
Interesting ideas. I have considered doing similar things, especially with the races. I like restricting races in the world but I also understand that some players like the mechanical bits of the unusual races. I also don't like race being a mechanical choice and prefer it being background/story decision. I will have to try this. The magic item idea is good to keep from having the magic item Christmas tree effect. I usually just make magic items rare and use inherent bonuses.

Nice, keeping the RP races limited without limiting player's access to mechanical bits is another great use!

Hmmmm, yeah, all of this is rather in keeping with my own trajectory. I've thoroughly hacked my game for the next campaign I run to the extent that it really isn't even 4e anymore. I have reworked EVERYTHING into boons...

Wow, you've taken it all the way. Tying the boon to narratives as well as advancement is an interesting concept... do you do it as the players telling the DM what' they're going for, and work to create the narrative together to get there? Or with an implicit agreement that the DM will provide, one way or another, the boon you're interested in? With some boons also being provided by the DM's instigation?

gamingly,

Kannik

Wow, you've taken it all the way. Tying the boon to narratives as well as advancement is an interesting concept... do you do it as the players telling the DM what' they're going for, and work to create the narrative together to get there? Or with an implicit agreement that the DM will provide, one way or another, the boon you're interested in? With some boons also being provided by the DM's instigation?

gamingly,

Kannik

Well, we're still just getting going with it. Knowing me and my proclivities as a GM I'll talk to my players and they can tell me what they want. A lot of things they can basically get for themselves (for example the wizard could pay some gold and do a service for the local town wizard in order to get a boon that lets him choose some fire spells). Other things I'm sure I'll spring on them, but keeping in mind what may be interesting to each player. Only a small minority of the possible boons have really been written up yet either, so chances are we'll invent a lot of them on the fly. I mean we can reuse a lot of 4e material with minor tweaks, or pilfer from other editions/games too, so I'm sure we'll end up with an eclectic group of characters...

Remove ads