D&D 5E Flawless Concentration Feat

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The video game Solasta: Crown of the Magister (Solasta: Crown of the Magister) is built off the 5e SRD so they have made up a number of their own feats. One of them seems pretty powerful to me (it seems so in the game), though I like the core idea of it. I also think it overlaps with War Caster too much.

Flawless Concentration
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells
You are trained to maintain your concentration in the most extreme conditions.
If you sustain up to 10 points of damage, you don't need to roll a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration.
Above that value, you have advantage when rolling the saving throw.

I was thinking knocking it down to 5 points of damage, but it still feels powerful to me. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Looks like trash. Its only slightly better than Warcaster at low levels, at higher levels its never going to come up. But Warcaster also have 2 more benefits, the Opportunity attack one and the casting with both hands occupied.

5 damage threshold? If your enemies only use slaps with their bare hands, its decent i guess.

Rabulias

For a 1st-level character, this feat means you are basically excused from ever making Concentration saves. But for a 15th-level character, it's a worse version of War Caster. I'd make the threshold scale by level in some way.
Good points. The video game only goes up to 10th level, so that explains why it feels powerful in the game. Scaling by level may be too fiddly to worry about. I will ponder.... :unsure:
Looks like trash. Its only slightly better than Warcaster at low levels, at higher levels its never going to come up. But Warcaster also have 2 more benefits, the Opportunity attack one and the casting with both hands occupied.

5 damage threshold? If your enemies only use slaps with their bare hands, its decent i guess.
I think I was subconsciously trying to adjust it for low levels. As you both point out, it is strong early on, but is weaker in later levels.

Thanks for clarifying what I could sorta "feel" but not see!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Okay... how about...
Flawless Concentration
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells
You are trained to maintain your concentration in the most extreme conditions.
You automatically succeed any Concentration Check with a DC less than or equal to 8 plus your Proficiency Bonus. In addition, you gain the ability to concentrate on two effects at once. When you do so, the first concentration effect is moved into your subconscious mind until you either end the second effect or lose it through a failed concentration check. At that time the second effect rises from your subconscious mind and becomes the focus of your concentration.
So at level 1 you automatically succeed on any attack that deals 20 damage or less. And by the time you're 20th level with your +6 Proficiency mod, anything under 28 damage you just don't bother rolling. You can also use a second concentration effect, which could be incredibly useful, particularly at high levels. I feel like that sweetens the feat significantly.

For comparison, a CR 20 Pit Fiend throws 21 damage with it's Bite, 17 with a claw, and 24 with a tail strike. But with it's flaming mace, that Pit Fiend will hit you for 36, total, forcing a roll.

It's only against potent spell effects or creatures with only a few attacks that are particularly strong that you'll really risk losing Concentration... and you could also go for Warcaster to double up on the protectiveness.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I think using a flat threshold is the wrong way to go. Just make it like Lucky, give it 3 charges per day to auto succeed on the Concentration save, but you have to call it before rolling.

Then give it another minor passive, like "The DC will always be 10, or "you only need to make 1 check per enemy regardless of the number of damage sources".

As you can only concentrate on ONE spell, and this presented as full feat, might as well say:

your concentration cannot be broken unless you are knocked out or willingly stop concentrating.
Honestly for players concentration break on damage is a unfun mechanic.
I wonder why we don’t seen more class feature, or feat, or items, or spells that would allow to maintain concentration despite damage.

Rabulias

Then give it another minor passive, like "The DC will always be 10"
I like this idea particularly. Instead of trying to adjust the damage threshold, we go directly to the DC. Thanks!
I wonder why we don’t seen more class feature, or feat, or items, or spells that would allow to maintain concentration despite damage.
I know, right? I think this is why the feat's core idea appeals to me - it's a fresh type of mechanic (at least as far as I have encountered). Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases