• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fleshiver: 5th-level Power Word Stun?

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Fleshiver is a 5th-level Sor/Wiz necromancy spell from Player's Guide to Faerun. The spell has a Range of Close and a Target of one creature. Its effect is to snap the creature's bones, causing it debilitating pain and injuries; consquently I have interpreted the Target line as restricting it to creatures with endoskeletons. The spell has no

The initial game effect of the spell is to stun the subject creature for one round with no save. The target creature is entitled to a Fortitude save in the second round, failure of which results in it suffering 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level with no upper limit, and becoming nauseated (i.e. only able to take a single move action each round) for a further 1d4+2 rounds.

What do people think of a 5th-level spell which automatically stuns one creature of any HD (provided it has an endoskeleton) for one round? How does this compare to the 8th-level power word stun, which automatically stuns any creature of 150hp or less for between 1d4 and 4d4 rounds? Bear in mind that fleshiver also effectively incapacitates low-Fort-save creatures (assuming they haven't died from their injuries) for the next 1d4+2 rounds.

As the player of a wizard, I like this spell!

BTW, has anyone used burning blood (from Complete Arcane)? Is that a crazy 4th-level spell, or what?

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Thanee

First Post
I've learned this spell with my now 15th-level sorceress and it has seen some use, altho I do not really overuse it (Fleshshiver-lock :p or chained Fleshshiver :eek: ).

It's definitely on the powerful side and probably should be 6th level.

The Power Word has the big advantage of multiple round stun... a single round isn't that bad, unless it happens all the time.

Once I fleshshivered myself, thanks to Spell Turning... *grr* ;)

Bye
Thanee

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Once I fleshshivered myself, thanks to Spell Turning... *grr* ;)

Bye
Thanee

Maybe not so at the time, but that's damn funny. Presumably your character either made the Fort save, or had more than 1d6 hit points per level.

Now if I can just convince my DM to permit fleshiver...

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Interesting... Not suprised you like it! :)

In the 2nd round, you save to avoid the damage/nauseation. Is the damage negated or halved on a successful save?

IME, the big disadvantage with PW stun is the HP limit. Quite a few beasties are likely to be outside the upper limit for it.

Remove ads