• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS in Philadephia, PA?

Napftor

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
While hardly in my area, Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr is the best game store I've ever been in. Granted its an hour and 45 minutes away, but that's where our editor lives and anytime I get to that area I always stop there. Great selection. Here's a website with the address: http://mysite.verizon.net/mnjclark/showcasecomics/

I was also going to point you towards Showcase in Bryn Mawr. There's very little else in the Philly area that I've been to that has been worthwhile.

WmRAllen67

First Post
There's Fat Jack's Comics on Sansom and 20th Streets or Out of Time Comics on Chestnut by City Hall. For either of these you can get there on the Septa Blue Line Subway or the Green Line Trolley...

For a bigger selection, there's The Compleat Strategist out in King of Prussia, but you'd need transportation, though with a little perserverance you can get there on public transportation (take the Blue Line to 69th Street, change to the Route 100 trolley, then get off at the Gulph Mills Station and walk down to Shoemaker Road, about 1km away).

Aside from Borders, those are the shops I usually go to...

Napftor

Explorer
Templetroll said:
The Days of Knights is the best game store in the Philadelphia area. ;)

Hmm, after perusing the website this does look good. In fact, I just planned a drive for Newark tomorrow to see what they've got. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Glyfair

Explorer
Templetroll said:
The Days of Knights is the best game store in the Philadelphia area. ;)

I'm friends with the owners of both DOKs and Between Books, and they each have their charms. Between Books has that bohemian crowded look. However, if you browse around your sure to find some gems. DOKs is more traditional and more organized. Both have been around since the early 80s (the earlier "Strategy & Fantasy World" didn't last very long at all).

Scribble

First Post
Hah... Small world. I'm from the Upenn (University City) area of Philly myself!

Wish I could add to this with a list of great local game stores but alas... I was buying my stuff from either Borders or a place called All Things Fun, both in Jersey.

Showcase used to be good as mentioned... And there used to be another good game shop just over the bridge in Jersey called Gamer's Realm... But it too closed.

Not sure if this means Philly is just ripe for a game store, or that Philly lacks gamers.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I know there was a fairly sizeable store on South St a few years ago, not too far from some of the best cheesesteak hole-in-the-wall food ever. I forget the name, now.

I'm fairly pleased with Central PA's selection of FLGS - at least in terms of knowing they're here if I need them!

Cheers,
Cam

Scribble

First Post
Cam Banks said:
I know there was a fairly sizeable store on South St a few years ago, not too far from some of the best cheesesteak hole-in-the-wall food ever. I forget the name, now.

Jim's steaks! Excellent source of Cheesesteak, though be prepaired to wait in a LOOOOONG line.

You're thinking of Showcase comics. :(

It used to have a HUGE game section... But they apparently split the store in half with a wall, and sold or leased out one side to another store, and focused mainly on comics, with one little bookshelf of game stuff. (pretty much only the WOTC stuff too...)

iwatt

First Post
Scribble said:
Jim's steaks! Excellent source of Cheesesteak, though be prepaired to wait in a LOOOOONG line.

Hey, now this is interesting as well..... Can't go all the way there and not get some cheesesteaks ;)

Scribble

First Post
iwatt said:
Hey, now this is interesting as well..... Can't go all the way there and not get some cheesesteaks ;)

Make sure you get it with Cheese Wiz. Can't have a real philly cheese steak without wiz! ;)

mmm mmm mmm good ol american fatty food!

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Scribble said:

Nope - Ishkabibble's, which have a much better steak than Jim's (Jim's is a huge tourist trap!)

You're thinking of Showcase comics. :(

That's the one. Oh well - sad state of affairs that's more or less universal with comic/gaming stores. The comics are always a good business, the gaming not so much.

Cheers,
Cam

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads