• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS in Toronto

Boregar

First Post
Apologies if this in the wrong forum. :eek:

I'm going to be in Toronto for a couple of weeks at the beginning of November, and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a game store worth visiting in the area.

Ry

Explorer
Hairy Tarantula and 401 Games are the big guns IMO

HairyT's my favorite, it's at 354 1/4 Yonge St (REALLY hard to see the sign even on foot but worth it). Just beware of cats.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Unfortunately, even the Tarantula isn't a great store. For the size of the city, there is a distinct lack of good stores.

Gregor

First Post
The Hairy T is a weird, weird place. They also have some strange sci-fi fear of cellular devices, so make sure you do not whip out a cell phone while you are in there. The only good thing going for them, on the RPG side anyway, is the fact that they commonly sell their WOTC stuff at a discounted rate.

I would recommend you check out the Silver Snail down on Queen Street, not only do they have a really great d&d section, but the place is full of really great stuff and is really clean and professional.

Raven Crowking

First Post
In Toronto, Hairy Tarantula has a pretty good selection, and is worth a look. 401 Games is really close to HT, so is also worth a look. If you could say what you were looking for/hoping to find, it would be much easier to direct you.

RC

gunderval

First Post
stores

Hairy T does freak some people out apparently (staff are often alternative lifestylers) but it is the only store I've seen stock Burning Wheel in Toronto (re the indie front) and it does sell a wack of old stuff discounted etc.

Yes the absence of good 'uber game stores' is sad, over 20 years since Mr. Gameways Arc went bust and no similar presence since.

Raven Crowking

First Post
gunderval said:
Yes the absence of good 'uber game stores' is sad, over 20 years since Mr. Gameways Arc went bust and no similar presence since.

It isn't worthwhile, IME.

When we opened Golden City Comics, we started by stocking a lot of gaming material. This was back in the first days of 3.0. After a large number of people who prerused in-store, then bought online, we decided that this wasn't a money-making line to continue. We now have very little in terms of RPG materials.

Large selection that you can browse through and look at comes, by the necessity of the costs of running such an establishment, with a higher pricetag than Amazon.com.

RC

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I believe a game store on the model of the very successful Drexoll Games in Vancouver would do well in TO.

Every time I walk down Queen West I note locations it might work at.

And once my current short-term debt is paid off...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads