FLGS- Old Inventory and Organization UPDATE!!

Is shrink wrap a good idea? Do gamers impulse buy?

Belen

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
I refuse to shop in a store that shrink wraps its books. If they trust their customers so little, then I can shop somewhere else. If they really think books are getting damaged, then they can shrink wrap all copies except for one, which can be a sample. Then when they decide not to carry that title any more, they can sell the sample at a discount.

Regarding the old merchandise, I agree that they'll get a better price on E-Bay.

Well, according to them, they just cannot afford to buy any more books in the near future and I do not see them buying extra copies just to have them out. They just cannot afford it. Luckily, their other sales are keeping them afloat.

However, they are more than willing to open books for customers and I thinking that may start printing out reviews on the books for customers to read in store.

Dave

Conaill

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Shrinkwrap: They will keep shrink wrapping the books, but they will place a sign up that says they will open any book that someone wants to see. Apparently, they were really burned before by customers who would come into the store and copy information out of books or just abuse them to the point where they could not be sold again.
Not good enough. That's still a big hurdle against impulse buying.

If they were having that much trouble with damage to books, perhaps they could solve much of it by simply rearranging the racks so there's fewer hidden corners? Not saying they should be constantly supervising their customers. But just knowing they're somewhat visible might deter the worst offenders...

It's also possible that the amount of damaged books didn't even come close to the amount of sales they're currently missing out on! Assuming they make something like a 50% margin (just guessing, it's probably quite a bit lower for a struggling bookstore), then they would *still* make more money if they manage to sell two extra books for every book that gets damaged.

Heck, sell the damaged books at a serious discount, rather than having to sell the *entire stock* on discount because of lack of turnover!

rowport

First Post
Belen-

Thanks for the update! I am curious to see how it goes. I also find the input in the thread really interesting- there is certainly a consensus on most (all?) of the points..! Regarding shrinkwrap, even realizing the compromise (at least a step in the right direction) would she not consider the single open display copy idea? Lots of folks here (including me) thought that was reasonable if not the best option. I do really like the bundle of related books- even better than bundling manufacturers IMO.

I look forward to your follow-ups about the stock, too! Heck, even my dwarven fighter PC is interested in the bundle you mention... :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
BelenUmeriaApparently said:
Other have mentioned this, but I'll reiterate the logic.

Which is worse:
A) Getting burned by having a few books ruined, but selling the rest.
b) Having no books ruined, but not selling any of them.

I suspect they lose more sales to the shrink wrap than to the vandalism. Ask them how much these unsold books are worth. Then ask how much the vandalized books were worth. They'll eventually get the idea :)

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
shrinkwrap and browsing copies

I'm in the "won't buy shrinkwrapped books" crowd. They're no fun to browse through and leave a feeling of mistrust of the customers. Luckily I live near a store that doesn't shrinkwrap. (well..except for the Book of Erotic Fantasy..but I can understand that one)

One thing I would point out tho, is that in the stores that have a "browse" copy and protected backstock is that the browse copy quickly becomes trashed. Having one book being the target of every curious customer grinds away at it pretty fast.

Just my 2 coppers :)

"Hello Mr. Smith as you can see this is a very nice ranch style house."

"Great, can I go inside?"

"Ummm, no. We don't let you actually SEE the inside of the house until you buy it".

Would you buy the house. Or go elsewhere?

"Nice car, Can I take it for a test drive?"

"No, we have a strict policy against letting you drive the car before you buy it because you might get the floor mats dirty."

Would you buy the car?

Most local gaming stores only has ONE advantage over on-line retailers. Shop before you buy. I never buy anything on-line because I like to look through it before I buy it. I have literally driven over 100 miles to go a gaming store I saw in the phonebook. They shrink-wrapped everything. I left, Immediately.

If I ever visit Carolina I never buy anything from your store because of shrink wrap. If you don't want me to look through something before I buy it, I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS go somewhere I can. If that is impossible, I'll buy on-line & save a few bucks.

As for "Ask & we'll take it out for you" No thanks. I can go elsewhere & not have to go to the front of the store (wait if its busy), ask for the clerk to go to the back, take the precious item out off the shrink-wrap, wait, staring at me while I read (Yes read, I've been burned tooo many times by stuff that looked good just skimming through it to only find nasty problems later). Then have to tell the clerk "No thanks, the feats are over-powered & their monster-design is poor and the artwork uninspiring. Can I see this instead?"

Final answer. Shrink wrap makes it impossible (or extremely difficult) for me to evaluate a product before I buy it. I can sit at home in my underwear typing on my computer at midnight and get the same stuff & save a few bucks in the process. Their is NO reason for me to even CONSIDER going to your store because of shrink wrap.

Have you considered the cost of shrink wrap? How much do they actually SAVE when you include the price of shrink wrap? I know close to a hundred gamers well enough to know they will not even consider visiting a shrink-wrap store either.

As for the game room. Shrink wrap makes that useless. Do yourself a favor and turn it into a storage room. You'll probably never get anyone to game their (unless they have no other choice). I run a game at my local gaming store. I began the game at 1st level nearly 2 years ago & my players are now 23-24th level. I now have an apartment large enough to game in, but still go to the game store every week. Why? Because of the resources. I can't drag my entire gaming library with me, but I can look something up real quick from the stuff on the shelf. I can't do this if its all shrink-wrapped. My group has invested close to $5,000 dollars into the store as a direct result of my weekly games (that's usually when we buy our stuff). I wouldn't game in a store where everything is shrink-wrapped because I couldn't make use of the full facilities.

Finally, they need to get new product in. Even if its only 1 copy of the WotC products. If they don't get new stuff in, then they are stagnant, and people won't shop there for D&D. It looks like they are getting rid of product if they don't get ANY new stuff in.

Finally (part 2). As for discounting, The longer it sits on the shelf, the less profit that is realized from the eventual sale. (Weird economics about opportunity cost & overhead & stuff could be inserted here).

Finally (part 3) Drop the shrink wrap. I've patronized dozens of gaming stores. Every shrink wrap gaming store has gone under or (stores board games and such) gotten rid of their gaming because it just didn't "sell" (even though the 2 non-shrink wrap stores down the street had d20 stuff flying off the shelves. Shrink wrap drives off gamers. It simply does. Shrink wrap = no gamers. Got it?

Finally (I mean it this time). The owners have to make a decision. If they want to actually SELL gaming products they need to drop the shrink wrap. They'll never rack up stellar sales if they keep shrink-wrapping everything (unless they sell it at MASSIVE discounts). If they don't want destructive, note-taking, untrustworthy role-players (their GIVEN reasons for the shrink wrap) as customers, I don't want them as merchants.

Drop the shrink wrap. I repeat, DROP THE EVIL SHRINK-WRAP!!!!!!
Vraille Darkfang
Gamer who doesn't tear up books, copy them, & DOES make an effort to buy from my local game stores.

Last edited:

Razz0putin

Explorer
definatly no shrink rap. I generally don't impulse buy but I would qauntify that because I have been known to if there is a good sale. the stacks of books all around my game/computer room attest to that ;).

Belen

Adventurer
I understand what you all feel regarding shrink wrap. I do not like it either. I will advocate a browse copy, but they will not be able to do it right off the bat. It will take some time to get the capital to buy books just for people to abuse.

As for the game room, it gets a lot of use from people who play Warhammer 40k, Magic, and board games. They have a lot of store copies of board games for people to just hang out and play, which is cool!

They do not have a dedicated RPG crowd as yet, but I hope to change that over the coming months.

Dave

Remove ads