• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fly vs Polymorph Self

G.A. Donis

First Post
If you polymorph into something with wings, does that mean that you know how to use them properly? Would you get the same manueverability as the critter you look like? Or is there some disorientation for having a body completely different from the one you "grew up" with? Just a couple of questions.

galaga88

Explorer
G.A. Donis said:
If you polymorph into something with wings, does that mean that you know how to use them properly? Would you get the same manueverability as the critter you look like? Or is there some disorientation for having a body completely different from the one you "grew up" with? Just a couple of questions.

The spell description mentions that you gain any natural abilities the form would have, and specifically mentions flight due to having wings. Previous to the errata, there was a disorientation factor (to attacks?), but it was removed in the new version, presumably to make up for the restrictions added to it.

galaga88

Explorer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
The beholder's flight ability isn't extraordinary. They fly because they are (literally) full of hot air. If you turn into a beholder, you also become full of hot air. I'm not sure why featherfall is mentioned in the beholder's description. Of course, there's little point of becoming a beholder. Other than the natural armor, you get terrible physical stats, slow fly speed, people try to kill you on sight, and those nifty eye rays just look nifty. Do nothing useful. Oh well.

See, humor is rescued.

The Monster Manual is hazy on this. Flight is listed specifically as being an Extraordinary ability, but then in the description says it's due to natural bouyancy. I suppose it could go whichever way the DM wanted to say, leaning towards getting the flight. Damn. No beholders dropping like rocks for me.

Tiberius

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Fly vs Polymorph Self

Hypersmurf said:

Well, you don't get extraordinary abilities with a polymorph self, except for a few weird ones like Pounce and Rake.

So you probably would fall...

-Hyp.

Really? I thought the polymorphs gave you the extraordinaries and Shapechange got you the supernatural ones as well. Hmph.

Well, I checked the SRD, and it doesn't say anything either way with respect to extaordinaries. Could someone post the relevant part of the polymorph errata?

-Tiberius

RigaMortus

Explorer
I remember reading somewhere that if you polymorph into a beholder you will float. I forget the exact reason behind it and I forget where I read it (perhaps it was on the WotC website when they put the erratted version of Wildshaping that is in MotW, but I can't remember for sure).

rhammer2

First Post
I penalize the character two manueverability classes if he hasn't prcticed flying in the new form.

G.A. Donis said:

I penalize the character two manueverability classes if he hasn't prcticed flying in the new form.

If you use polymorph self, there are no penalties to attack rolls, maneuverability, or anything like that. Maybe because you cast the spell on yourself, it "fits" you perfectly. If you use polymorph other, only then do you suffer the penalty.

Here's my two pence...

Fly is superior in many ways because it can be targeted on yourself or an ally, and it allows you to keep your original shape, for spellcasting and the like. It would really be up to the dm if you could change yourself into a Succubus... if the character had never seen one, how would he change himself into one? Polymorph spells are somewhat limited by the character's experiences.

Also keep in mind that Polymorph other must be magically dispelled... a wiz/sorc cannot dispel this spell at will, like he can Polymorph Self.

rhammer2

First Post
Where do you get the idea that there aren't penalties for Polymorph Self? The revision in T&B refers you to Polymorph Other for the effect of the spell.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:

If you use polymorph self, there are no penalties to attack rolls, maneuverability, or anything like that. Maybe because you cast the spell on yourself, it "fits" you perfectly. If you use polymorph other, only then do you suffer the penalty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads