• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fly vs Polymorph Self

galaga88

Explorer
Is there any particular reason to use Fly over polymorphing yourself into a humanoid creature that can fly and use somatic/material components? (Succubus/Incubus) The only downside I can notice is that your stats become the averages for a creature of that sort, which could hurt mages with high dex, and those occasional ones with a good constitution bonus for their fort saves (HP are unaffected). Polymorph Self's duration is hours, whereas Fly is minutes or rounds..

On a side note, reading the description of Polymorph Self mentions that you gain no supernatural or magical type abilities of the creature you turn into. Does this mean polymorphing into a beholder makes you instantly go *thump* and roll about on the ground since you won't have its levitation ability? :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Is there any particular reason to use Fly over polymorphing yourself into a humanoid creature that can fly and use somatic/material components? (Succubus/Incubus)

Can't do Succubus or Incubus by the Errata'd Polymorph Self - they're Outsiders and therefore excluded...

-Hyp.

galaga88

Explorer
Re: Re: Fly vs Polymorph Self

Hypersmurf said:

Can't do Succubus or Incubus by the Errata'd Polymorph Self - they're Outsiders and therefore excluded...

-Hyp.

Well damn. I'd not be trying to stretch the spell so far, if my PC had the cash to copy any of the new spells he finds on scrolls to his spellbook. I suppose this leaves Pixie and Harpy as my choices for taking flight, with Pixie being much preferred for the size bonus to AC, 18 dex, and not being butt-ugly of course.

Darklone

Re: Re: Re: Fly vs Polymorph Self

galaga88 said:

Well damn. I'd not be trying to stretch the spell so far, if my PC had the cash to copy any of the new spells he finds on scrolls to his spellbook. I suppose this leaves Pixie and Harpy as my choices for taking flight, with Pixie being much preferred for the size bonus to AC, 18 dex, and not being butt-ugly of course.

Right. There are a lot of polymorphed pixies around. We even considered if that race originally came from two mating polymorphed wizards.

Madfox

First Post
Well, when polymorph self is dispelled it is instantly removed. This would mean a nasty fall. When fly is dispelled, you are at least protected for 1d6 rounds with feather fall. Further then that fly is a 3rd lvl spell for a reason. Of course, in my campaigns I did reduce the duration of polymorph self to 10 minutes/lvl. Somehow a duration of 1 hr/lvl seems a bit too high for such a versatile spell.

Tiberius

Explorer
galaga88 said:
On a side note, reading the description of Polymorph Self mentions that you gain no supernatural or magical type abilities of the creature you turn into. Does this mean polymorphing into a beholder makes you instantly go *thump* and roll about on the ground since you won't have its levitation ability? :)

Actually, you wouldn't fall and roll, as the beholder's flight is an extraordinary rather than supernatural or spell-like ability. Good for the beholder, bad for the humor value. :)

-Tiberius

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Fly vs Polymorph Self

Actually, you wouldn't fall and roll, as the beholder's flight is an extraordinary rather than supernatural or spell-like ability. Good for the beholder, bad for the humor value. :)

Well, you don't get extraordinary abilities with a polymorph self, except for a few weird ones like Pounce and Rake.

So you probably would fall...

-Hyp.

The beholder's flight ability isn't extraordinary. They fly because they are (literally) full of hot air. If you turn into a beholder, you also become full of hot air. I'm not sure why featherfall is mentioned in the beholder's description. Of course, there's little point of becoming a beholder. Other than the natural armor, you get terrible physical stats, slow fly speed, people try to kill you on sight, and those nifty eye rays just look nifty. Do nothing useful. Oh well.

See, humor is rescued.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads