• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For the first time... apprehension

Belphanior

First Post
Voss said:
Of course, when you hit the high levels, a rogue is perfectly capable of contributing to the 6 second save or die affairs by UMDing a Staff of SoD Spells.

Are you seriously suggesting that rogues should aspire to be third rate wizards? :confused:

A rogue should be able to contribute to combat by being a rogue. That means high mobility and dirty blows. It seems like 4e will give that, but we'll wait and see before passing final judgment on that. But "I fire off a wand" is definitely something that's not very much in the spirit of things.

(Fine, sure, the failed renegade apprentice who can't do magic but still remembers the right way to make the arcane toys do their thing. Most regular rogues I'm talking about here.)

edit:
No, wait, I probably just misread it. God I hope I did...

VirgilCaine

First Post
Belphanior said:
Are you seriously suggesting that rogues should aspire to be third rate wizards? :confused:

IMO, they should certainly pick up UMD and if you want to throw lots of SoD effects at something (for some reason) they won't be left out.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
IMO, they should certainly pick up UMD and if you want to throw lots of SoD effects at something (for some reason) they won't be left out.
The rogue/swashbuckler in our party carries a couple of Invisibility scrolls, a CLW wand and a Dimension Door scroll, for quick getaways if caught scouting / snooping. UMD is a very useful thing for a rogue to have, but it certainly isn't (and shouldn't be) a necessity.

Remathilis

Legend
VirgilCaine said:

Because I soooo want to play a rogue who is nothing more than a wizard-in-a-stick...

All hail the 4e rogue. A class that does something beyond be a skill-replacement for a wizard's spells...

Remove ads