D&D General For those that find Alignment useful, what does "Lawful" mean to you

If you find alignment useful, which definition of "Lawful" do you use?

• I usually think of "Lawful" as adhering to a code (or similar concept) more than a C or N NPC would

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I usually think of "Lawful" as following the laws of the land more strictly than a C or N NPC would

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I use both definitions about equally

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • I don't find alignment useful but I still want to vote in this poll

Votes: 18 16.2%

happyhermit

Adventurer
There are two obvious interpretations for "Lawful" and I have often wondered which is more common. I usually think of it in terms of sticking to a code, that may or may not conform to the laws of any particular land, let alone the one a person is in. Almost akin to a spectrum of ideological-pragmatist. I can certainly see the benefits of looking at it as "Obeys the law" when informing RP decisions though, even if for me that is more a personality trait or quirk than an overall quality. Obviously there is some overlap as well, but anyways, thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I view it in more Platonic terms: more of a personality type that can be predictable and expected to fit a certain mode of behavior, whereas a Chaotic person might do just about anything on a whim including obey the laws of the land.

Like, I can see a Robin hood type who is Lawful, who simply sees the reigning regime as unjust and in need of opposition based on preexisting principles.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
A lawful character can adhere to any set of rules, be they local law, a personal code or the tenants of a god or some such, what really matters is that there are consistent rules and that they do follow them, even if no one else knows what they are or if they’re written down anywhere or not, or even if they ignore an entirely different set of rules

Last edited:

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
A lawful character can adhere to any set of rules, be they local law, a personal code or the tenants of a god or some such, what really matters is that there are consistent rules that they follow, even if no one else knows what they are or if they’re written down anywhere or not, or even if they ignore an entirely different set of rules
oh I do LOVE your avatar !!

Oofta

Legend
I think too often people put the cart before the horse. Alignment is not what you do, it's who you are and how you view the world. A lawful person views the world around them as a clockwork mechanism, orderly and following rules even if they don't understand them. That worldview and moral compass is reflected in their reactions and how they interact with the world around them.

That, and people rarely adhere to their alignment 100%.

I feel there is an option missing. I don't think "lawful" follows or adheres to the moral codes and mores of society any more than someone who is neutral or chaotic. The difference is, they will feel more guilt by not following the normal morality of their society. Here are some examples:
  • The classic priest that always wants to do the right thing, and most of the time does, but finds himself sneaking to the brothel every now and then.
  • The poet that always sympathizes and has deep empathy for those hurt around him, but he often can't see his own actions harm the ones closest to him. He gives coin away to his friends, so they have something to pay with, but also forgets that his wife needs the coin to fix the house.
  • The empathetic judge who follows all the rules of his court and king, but then always seems to break them when the person before him is a teen.

If you need an evil example: a city-gate guard who is a strict rule follower, but still takes bribes from his two friends even though it is illegal. Because, you know, there his, bros. ;)

So lawful follows the codes of the land, rules of the kingdom, norms of the community, morals of the church, and mores of the culture, but breaks them just as often as the others. They just pay a heavier price emotionally because of it. This might make them swing harder on the lawful spectrum for the next few days, or weeks, or months. Until, of course, they break it again.

Remove ads