• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General For those that find Alignment useful, what does "Lawful" mean to you

If you find alignment useful, which definition of "Lawful" do you use?

• I usually think of "Lawful" as adhering to a code (or similar concept) more than a C or N NPC would

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I usually think of "Lawful" as following the laws of the land more strictly than a C or N NPC would

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I use both definitions about equally

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • I don't find alignment useful but I still want to vote in this poll

Votes: 18 16.2%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Lawful to me means someone who prefers to follow externally-generated rules and directions rather than self-generated ones or none at all.

A less-charitable interpretation is that Lawful prefers to follow externally-generated rules and directions rather than think for itself.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Lawful to me means someone who prefers to follow externally-generated rules and directions rather than self-generated ones or none at all.

A less-charitable interpretation is that Lawful prefers to follow externally-generated rules and directions rather than think for itself.
... like in Mind Control ?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
While I (mostly) don't find alignment useful and therefore didn't vote in the poll, I wouldn't use either of the OP's definitions. They rely too much on character behavior or beliefs. Alignment is cosmic—it's either allegiance to a big, universal "side", or some inherent quality in a being's spiritual nature.

Lawful is either personal allegiance (whether consciously given or not) to the cosmic concept of Order (Moorcockian Lawfulness); or it's an inherent tie to the mundane world of human beings (and their societies and religions), as opposed to the Chaotic world of eldritch, fae, or monstrous things and Powers (Andersonian Lawfulness).

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Less "prefers" and more "accepts" and I agree.

If the code,law, or religion says "No Cheese" the Lawful person will simply accept whatever excuse given as long as it isn't a major burden.

The Chaotic person if they like cheese is singing the last half minute of Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name"

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
yes, the Monk being Lawful and living in a monastery must abide by the doctrine present there ...
There's also another level to it.

The strict mental and spiritual focus to be a Monk requires the person to adhere to a lot of restrictive concepts and rules. A Chaotic or Neutral person is more likely to break or change the codes and rules needed to reach spiritual enlightenment.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
so is essential the role of the teachers ( look at my face )
while the english version of Kung Fu relates the adventures of a Shaolin Priest
in France it was translated to a Shaolin Monk
( lol )

Remove ads