Forbidden spells

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
The Burned Man said:
There should be a time limit when you can raise someone from the dead.

Ie you cant use true ressurrection to raise one of the ancient dead in Skaukator...

..make it harder to raise the dead..

..perhaps leaving such feats for fiendlords and patrons (ie you do this for me and I´ll raise X)....
true..i don't think the pale lord wants people coming back from the dead and leaving his stronghold that much protected. I would say about 1 day/lvl of caster? or perhaps the higher level you get the more he would want to keep a hold of the soul? Much more experienced warrior leading troops can always be a bonus..

Lichtenhart

First Post
Let's only say it's very difficult that a soul actually WANTS to come back to life. You cannot raise them if they were destroyed in the furnaces, nor if they are resting in the mausoleums, nor if they are slave of the fiends. And the Pale Lord can always not give his permission (but he should have a good reason, they're coming back after all).

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Lichtenhart said:
Let's only say it's very difficult that a soul actually WANTS to come back to life. You cannot raise them if they were destroyed in the furnaces, nor if they are resting in the mausoleums, nor if they are slave of the fiends. And the Pale Lord can always not give his permission (but he should have a good reason, they're coming back after all).

but HOW can you determine this? Roleplaying? DC checks? I would but a mortitorium on this, perhaps reducing the overall time a body can lay resting..any eta on how long it would take a body to get back to the pale lord?

I would say that if a spirit goes to Skaukator, then anyone wishing to ressurrect that soul must go to Skaukator too, and speak with the Pale Lord or one of his subordinants. All spirits feel the urge to travel to Skaukator after a few days of being dead (with no gods, it often takes a while for the dead to get over the shock), and then it takes a while to actually get there. Until then, you can easily raise dead someone, unless their soul has been trapped, by spell or by fiend (need to figure out how to do this).

Actually, I'd say that we should wholly get rid of the time restraints for raising dead or ressurrecting, as long as the soul and body are both available. It'll just be a matter of providing rules for how far souls travel on their way to Skaukator, and how soon they leave after dying. Those who die particularly violent or dissatisfying deaths can become ghosts, uneasy spirits that linger despite the call of the Pale Lord.

After a soul has reached Skaukator, someone who wants to raise it must probably succeed in a Diplomacy check (DC 20, possibly less if the spirit is very well-known) in order to convince the bureaucracy to actually find the spirit. Then, the soul must agree to come back. This usually will require some familial or friendly relationship existing between the living and the dead. In some cases, the Pale Lord may simply veto a ressurrection, and he'll always know when one is about to take place. After a soul has been to Skaukator, the Pale Lord has full control over whether it can return from the dead. Spirits that have not yet reached the Necropolis can be raised normally.

Hmm. It's a complicated subject, and the one I'm personally most interested in. I was writing my whole story about it, until lack of interest made us cut it to reduce the size of Asgard.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
could you post this story here? What would be a decent time? Say 3-5 days? Would the pale lord give up souls that are higher in level? What would it take for negotiation? Why would it take that? If the PC's negotiating are in higher level would they get bonus' for diplomacy? Any type of table we can create to explain this perhaps having a list of positive and negative modifiers for some situations..

I actually think that the first three chapters are posted on the DF page. I was going to change the title (I always do), but it was called "Keep Going."

Remove ads