D&D General Forge of Foes from Mike Shea, Teos Abadia, and Scott F. Gray!

dave2008

Legend
My copy arrived yesterday. Looking through it, I know I will get a lot of use from it.

However, I was disappointed to see how the monster powers were organized. I guess I got a different impression from how Slyflourish described it (which is on me, not him)

Rather than list all the new and interesting powers alphabetically in its own chapter, they are listed under monster types, which means finding an individual power if you don't know what monster type it is associated with (and that you may want to use with a different kind of monster) will be more difficult (esp. without an index). I would have preferred a chapter of just powers and then have the monster types list common powers with a reference to that chapter.

Oh well, I have struggled with how RPG books are organized and laid out since I started with the hobby in 1983, so it is clearly not a dealbreaker, even though that chapter of monster powers was my primary reason for getting this book. Heck, maybe I should consider my own product of monster powers since I am constantly making them up or tweaking them anyway.
I have the PDF, but haven't really dove into yet. However, the organization you describe in the book makes sense to me. Typically I think of a monster or type of monster I want to use, then I think about adding interesting and thematic powers/abilities. It seems like the normal flow of operations to me. So how it is organized in the book would be more useful to me than your suggestion. However, I realize everyone is different and a book can't cater to all perspectives.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I guess for me, while some powers/abilities are clearly associated with a monster type, not all of them are. So for example, if I am interested in paralyzation type powers, rather than just look that up, I have to know if the authors think that is more an undead power (like ghouls) or a monstrous or aberrant power (like carrion crawlers), etc. ..

dave2008

Legend
I guess for me, while some powers/abilities are clearly associated with a monster type, not all of them are. So for example, if I am interested in paralyzation type powers, rather than just look that up, I have to know if the authors think that is more an undead power (like ghouls) or a monstrous or aberrant power (like carrion crawlers), etc. ..
I don't disagree, but I like how they organized them for my process. However, I think you get the best of both if they added an index of powers that would direct you to the page to find the power description. That would be a good add IMO.

How about it @SlyFlourish and @Alphastream ?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rather than list all the new and interesting powers alphabetically in its own chapter, they are listed under monster types, which means finding an individual power if you don't know what monster type it is associated with (and that you may want to use with a different kind of monster) will be more difficult (esp. without an index). I would have preferred a chapter of just powers and then have the monster types list common powers with a reference to that chapter.
I had that same issue. I'd prefer it be organized like spells in the PHB: Alphabetical, with notations about which monster types they're typically associated with.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I don't disagree, but I like how they organized them for my process. However, I think you get the best of both if they added an index of powers that would direct you to the page to find the power description. That would be a good add IMO.

How about it @SlyFlourish and @Alphastream ?
Well... it is something we have discussed. For Forge of Foes, we wanted to have the Monster Powers support the sections of the book, instead of the other way around. We've shared that the Monster Powers in this book are just some of the many I've come up with. So, stay tuned. We may have more Monster Powers, and a different way to organize them, in the future. Bear with us, and especially me, as I have a few other projects I must complete first!

Remove ads