D&D General Forge of Foes from Mike Shea, Teos Abadia, and Scott F. Gray!

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
One of the things this video points out is how useless most of the statblock really is.....
I wouldn't say useless exactly but probably not needed all the time. Much of it you can likely make up as you need it and that's something we talk about in the book and the preview. Things like speed, senses, languages, and the like you can fall to "whatever makes sense given the story of the monster". That's sort of antithetical to the defined mechanics of 5e but it works fine in play. I'm not sure I'd want a book of published monsters to be that sparse but it can certainly work for a home game!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I wouldn't say useless exactly but probably not needed all the time. Much of it you can likely make up as you need it and that's something we talk about in the book and the preview. Things like speed, senses, languages, and the like you can fall to "whatever makes sense given the story of the monster". That's sort of antithetical to the defined mechanics of 5e but it works fine in play. I'm not sure I'd want a book of published monsters to be that sparse but it can certainly work for a home game!
Useless might be over stated.....but do we really need all 6 stats for many battles? Languages, as you say, is make up as you go to make the game fun (why are there still race languages at this point?). I wouldn't want an entire book of limited blocks, but I'd guess if we had AC and HP and attacks, we'd be covered in 60-70% of the combats. For non-combats, all of that is fluff that doesn't need to be in a block, imo.

This book looks great and useful, btw.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As we can see from other discussions here, particularly regarding the new spellcaster stat blocks in Monsters of the Multiverse, there are people who are happy to wing this stuff and other people who are definitely not. I do think the Lazy DM way probably mostly aligns with the first group, though.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Is this really being released in 2024, even in PDF?
Over in another thread ( The Lazy DM's Forge of Foes for 5e: An Interview With Mike Shea, Teos Abadía, and Scott Fitzgerald Gray (Sly Flourish) ) it was implied that the PDF might be released this summer:
Barring wild issues with shipping, all goods should be delivered by March 2024. For the pdf, we are expecting that it will be available by summer. We may even have a feedback version to backers before that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases