D&D 5E Forge of Fury endgame...how would you play this out?

Uller

Adventurer
We are playing through Forge of Fury. Five 4th level PCs (they have enough xp for 5th but need to go have some downtime to level up).

They cleared the orcs from the mountain door but unknown to them the survivors have returned. This includes the eye of gruumsh and about 10 orcs.

They cleared the troglodytes but the sorcerer escaped. After they cleared all the duergar they attempted a long rest in the queen's room. But the troglodyte sorcerer, a troop of about 10 trogs and the dragon came looking for them. This lead to a fighting retreat into the haunted portions of the foundry where they fought the ghost and destroyed it while holding the trogs at bay with a flaming sphere. The trog sorcerer and dragon finally persuaded the trogs to push through the flames. The party was able to kill the sorcerer, breaking the morale of the trogs enough to drive them off. The dragon is unwilling to pursue the party into the narrow passages because they already defeated it once in another lair so it knows they are not to be triffled with, even while tired.

During the fight one of the party stumbled into the succubus, she offered to help in exchange for a favor (and attempted to charm him but he made his save) but he noped out, closed the door and announced "there is some creepy lady in there!"

The dragon slew a few trogs and left in a rage but they don't know where. Last time they tangled with it, it outright slew their cleric from massive damage so even though they beat it, they are not all that interested in a direct confrontation either.

I am strongly considering replacing the succubus with a night hag because it fits the campaign better. Three covens operate in the area and are responsible for the terrible things that have brought the party to the area in the first place and I want a monster they will have to negotiate with rather than fight. But they do have a scroll of banishment and magic circle...and she knows it. The paladin in the party is a new addition (a player returned from a long absence in the middle of the duergar lair so I placed him as a prisoner. He and another party came looking to destroy a "fiend" but were defeated. The duergar had him as a prisoner and were interrogating him).

So now the dragon has retreated (temporarily).

The ghost is destroyed (also temporarily...i rule that ghosts and similar undead return to their haunt until whatever is keeping them tied to the world is resolved).

The succubus/hag is aware of them amd they are aware of her.

The orcs are reoccupying the upper level.

The trogs are defeated and scattered permanently.

The party badly needs a long rest.

What happens next?

Uller

Adventurer
I don't know but I am getting popcorns because the first part got me hooked... even if I have run the same adventure myself before :D

At this point I suspect the PCs are just looking for a way out to rest, level up and maybe return...but my players have surprised me in the past. During this fight when it looked like the dragon and troglodytes were starting to break off the ranger wanted to "go put some arrows in the beast rather than let it escape." The EvilDM (TM) in me was secretly hoping they'd try it and a few more PCs would cross over the rainbow bridge...but cooler heads prevailed.

Reynard

Legend
At this point I suspect the PCs are just looking for a way out to rest, level up and maybe return...but my players have surprised me in the past. During this fight when it looked like the dragon and troglodytes were starting to break off the ranger wanted to "go put some arrows in the beast rather than let it escape." The EvilDM (TM) in me was secretly hoping they'd try it and a few more PCs would cross over the rainbow bridge...but cooler heads prevailed.
Do the PCs have anything any of the remaining factions want? The PCs are probably pretty desperate for a long rest so one of the forces offering safety in exchange for a thing or service might be viable.

I ran FoF a few months ago and it almost ended in a TPK when the succubus turned the barbarian against the party (that particular kind of charm is more powerful in my games).

Uller

Adventurer
Do the PCs have anything any of the remaining factions want? The PCs are probably pretty desperate for a long rest so one of the forces offering safety in exchange for a thing or service might be viable.

Souls to be corrupted for starters.

Uller

Adventurer

Shenanigans aside...a little brainstorming I have done so far (but none of this is locked in stone):

The hag (or succubus) wants the scrolls since those are threats. I'm thinking her means of escape is controlled by the dragon, so she might be wanting to convince the party to retrieve it in exchange for something. Four out of five party members were aged by the ghost so maybe she can restore their youth...

The ghost is the spirit of the wizard that imprisoned the hag. She drove him to suicide and keeps his tormented spirit here for revenge. Once he rematerializes he may have some moments lucid enough to realize the party could help him escape his nightmare.

The dragon wants revenge on the party for driving it out of its original lair and stealing its treasure.

The orcs are unaware that the party is still present...they are beginning to realize the troglodytes are gone (they had a detente agreement with them). They will be angered by the party but also probably want the dragon gone as it probably demands tribute from them.

Further away...the party is part of an expedition to restore civilization to the area. There are dwarves among the expedition leadership. They will want to know about the discovery of the forge.

Nebulous

Legend
I am not familiar with this adventure, but your set up sounds great! I love having many different factions at work in the same place, some hostile, some less so.

The coven of hags though. Play 'em smart and you can wreck that 5th level party! What if a hag ethereally touches a wounded PC for an hour during a long rest and uses Nightmare Haunting to prevent any hit point recuperation? I love hag covens, they have a ton of interesting abilities.

Reynard

Legend
Shenanigans aside...a little brainstorming I have done so far (but none of this is locked in stone):

The hag (or succubus) wants the scrolls since those are threats. I'm thinking her means of escape is controlled by the dragon, so she might be wanting to convince the party to retrieve it in exchange for something. Four out of five party members were aged by the ghost so maybe she can restore their youth...

The ghost is the spirit of the wizard that imprisoned the hag. She drove him to suicide and keeps his tormented spirit here for revenge. Once he rematerializes he may have some moments lucid enough to realize the party could help him escape his nightmare.

The dragon wants revenge on the party for driving it out of its original lair and stealing its treasure.

The orcs are unaware that the party is still present...they are beginning to realize the troglodytes are gone (they had a detente agreement with them). They will be angered by the party but also probably want the dragon gone as it probably demands tribute from them.

Further away...the party is part of an expedition to restore civilization to the area. There are dwarves among the expedition leadership. They will want to know about the discovery of the forge.
All these sound like good ideas. Present them in play and see which the players choose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases