D&D 5E Forgotten Realms - Has Skullport Been Retconned?

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm going to start a Skullport campaign soon, and I've been looking at everything from the 2E book released in 1999 through the 5E Dungeon of the Mad Mage. In 4E Skullport was partially destroyed, and the factions changed according to 4E FR Campaign Guide and the Skullport Backdrop in Dungeon Magazine 200 from 2012. So, in DotMM it appears that everything from 4E was retconned with no explanation am I correct?

I'm going to start a Skullport campaign soon, and I've been looking at everything from the 2E book released in 1999 through the 5E Dungeon of the Mad Mage. In 4E Skullport was partially destroyed, and the factions changed according to 4E FR Campaign Guide and the Skullport Backdrop in Dungeon Magazine 200 from 2012. So, in DotMM it appears that everything from 4E was retconned with no explanation am I correct?
The FR changes in 4e proved generally unpopular with players, so they were largely ignored in 5e. There is a vague explanation in SCAG, but remember that current WotC policy is "there is no canon". Use whatever version of Skullport with whatever history you prefer. If it worries you, I would consider setting your campaign in a different time period.

R_J_K75

Legend
The FR changes in 4e proved generally unpopular with players, so they were largely ignored in 5e.
I always use or ignore what I like or don't. I ignored most of the changes in 4E but I liked some of the changes to Waterdeep, Undermoutain and Skullport.
There is a vague explanation in SCAG, but remember that current WotC policy is "there is no canon".
I'm assuming you're referring to the section on the second sundering? If I was aware I forgot about the no canon policy which seems odd for a campaign setting that had tons of lore and history for the majority of the time it's been published, but then again, I stopped keeping track of the RPGs and novels in the mid 2000s.
Use whatever version of Skullport with whatever history you prefer. If it worries you, I would consider setting your campaign in a different time period.
Think I'll use the 4E version from Dungeon 200, and fill in the blanks with the 2E book. Gives me more leeway to just make up what I want and not overwhelm some of the other players if they decide to DM.

Remove ads