D&D 5E Forgotten Realms is being BETRAYED by Wizards

Corpsetaker

First Post
Which, it hardly needs pointing out (tho obvs I'm gonna do it anyway) that that's a very strange hill to die on, considering that 1) in-jokes and puckish fourth-wall-breaking have been part of this game's traditions from the get-go; and 2) you can go on the YouTubes and watch hours and hours of Perkins actually running a game, quickly revealing that in comparison to an awful lot of tables he's kind of a model of sobriety and restraint.

But, yanno, OotA had the temerity to include a character named "Yuk-Yuk," so clearly my argument is invalid.

There is a big difference between humour that happens outside the game and one that is created with in the game. My group and I like serious games. Do we have a laugh and joke about something that might of happened in the game outside of it? We sure do, but goofy humour that is embedded with in the game is a big turn off for us.

ProgBard

First Post
There is a big difference between humour that happens outside the game and one that is created with in the game. My group and I like serious games. Do we have a laugh and joke about something that might of happened in the game outside of it? We sure do, but goofy humour that is embedded with in the game is a big turn off for us.

DontLikeThing_lastpanels.JPG

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which, it hardly needs pointing out (tho obvs I'm gonna do it anyway) that that's a very strange hill to die on, considering that 1) in-jokes and puckish fourth-wall-breaking have been part of this game's traditions from the get-go; and 2) you can go on the YouTubes and watch hours and hours of Perkins actually running a game, quickly revealing that in comparison to an awful lot of tables he's kind of a model of sobriety and restraint.

But, yanno, OotA had the temerity to include a character named "Yuk-Yuk," so clearly my argument is invalid.

Certainly way more serious than any game I've ever participated in...

ProgBard

First Post
Certainly way more serious than any game I've ever participated in...

Nor I, and my material at least is slanted pretty heavily toward the "serious" end.

As is the official adventure content we've seen thus far, save for maybe the occasional callback to the funhouse dungeons of yore. And yet, someone who had not actually viewed it would be forgiven for concluding that Out of the Abyss was chock-a-block with zany laffs, rather than a fairly dark and perilous struggle against mind-bending insanity dusted with occasional touches of gothic whimsy.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't own OoTA, but if it is just a character name, seems pretty easy to change it.

I do own Curse of Straud and there are a few puns in it that are real groaners, but, again, they are very minor (names on tombs mostly, iirc) and easily changed or ignored.

Remove ads