D&D 5E Forgotten Realms: No mountain dwarves?

jimmyjimjam

First Post
There are no mountain dwarves in the Forgotten Realms, correct?
Shield dwarves are hill dwarves.
If there are mountain dwarves, what are they called in "Realmsspeak" and where do they live in Faerun?

fba827

Adventurer
I do not know the realms well.
That said I always heard of two dwarf subtypes in the realms, shield dwarves and gold dwarves. So if shield dwarves don't match to mountain dwarves, do gold dwarves?

TheBlueKnight

Explorer
There are no mountain dwarves in the Forgotten Realms, correct?
Shield dwarves are hill dwarves.
If there are mountain dwarves, what are they called in "Realmsspeak" and where do they live in Faerun?

According to the free basic D&D rules, page 13:

The gold dwarves of Faerûn in their mighty southern kingdom are hill dwarves, as are the exiled Neidar and the debased Klar of Krynn in the Dragonlance setting.

and

The shield dwarves of northern Faerûn, as well as the ruling Hylar clan and the noble Daewar clan of Dragonlance, are mountain dwarves.

So dwarves are hill dwarves, and shield dwarves are mountain dwarves.

Faraer

Explorer
Which is right, e.g. A Grand Tour of the Realms p. 7: 'Among the dwarves, these northern dwarves are known as mountain dwarves to show their home terrain, or shield dwarves to reflect their battle prowess and history.'

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Which is right, e.g. A Grand Tour of the Realms p. 7: 'Among the dwarves, these northern dwarves are known as mountain dwarves to show their home terrain, or shield dwarves to reflect their battle prowess and history.'

Both.

They're known as mountain dwarves and shield dwarves. Shield dwarves became the more common appellation after 3E.

jimmyjimjam

First Post
Okay thanks for clearing this up gentlemen. I guess I was a bit confused since I had been reading the old grey box description of dwarves.

Remove ads