D&D 5E Forgotten realms recent history

twofalls

DM Beadle
I'm not at all certain why we are having this conversation at this point. I'm fine with you having it your way. Have a good evening.

Weiley31

Legend
I'll admit, despite my liking of 2E and 3.0/3.5 lore info dumps in the various books, I'm pretty much not familiar with WHICH Apocalypse/Transition happened with each edition that led into the next. The Times of Troubles could be the 1E to 2E transition and I'm accidently associating it as the 3E to 4E transition, etc, etc. The only one I know is the lead in to 5E was the Sundering and that the 2E to 3E transition happened as a result of "Die Vecna, Die" and Vecna being Vecna.

At least they "tried" to explain a reasoning why edition changes happened. So there "somewhat" points for that. Whether it was the best method or if it was the best of ideas, well YMMV.

I'll admit, despite my liking of 2E and 3.0/3.5 lore info dumps in the various books, I'm pretty much not familiar with WHICH Apocalypse/Transition happened with each edition that led into the next. The Times of Troubles could be the 1E to 2E transition and I'm accidently associating it as the 3E to 4E transition, etc, etc. The only one I know is the lead in to 5E was the Sundering and that the 2E to 3E transition happened as a result of "Die Vecna, Die" and Vecna being Vecna.

Time of troubles was definitely 1e to 2e. The Spellplague was the major setting-breaking feature of the hundred years between 3e FR and 4e FR. The Second Sundering rewound most of the least-well-received bits of the 4e post-Spellplague realms as part of the 5e transition.

As far as the Realms go, there wasn't really a single big in-world event that covered the 2e to 3e transition. "Die Vecna Die" didn't really register an impact on the FR line. There were a few major in-world happenings that occurred roughly at the same time as the 3e realms appeared - the return of the Shades was the big one, and the death of Azoun, but these were predominately in-world events of the sort that happen in the Realms every second Tuesday, and there wasn't really any attempt to link them to the mechanical 2e->3e changes in the way that, for instance, the Time of Troubles killed off all the assassins in Faerun because assassin was no longer a PC class in 2e, or a huge nation of dragonborn got teleported into FR where Mulhorand used to be because 4e made dragonborn a core PC race. Maaaaybe the one exception was the rise of the Shadow weave, which was something that WotC was pushing as a heavy setting element (with lots of mechanical support) early in 3e, but it didn't really seem to get much traction and it's largely an afterthought now.

twofalls

DM Beadle
Yes, I wasn't ever impressed with the shadow weave concept. FR is a very rich campaign setting with huge amounts of lore and background, which is one of the reasons I love it. Pleasantly, I haven't any cannon FR background lawyers in my group.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Yes, I wasn't ever impressed with the shadow weave concept. FR is a very rich campaign setting with huge amounts of lore and background, which is one of the reasons I love it. Pleasantly, I haven't any cannon FR background lawyers in my group.
I wish it was true second weave with different mechanics... but way it worked never did anything to me.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
When I was DM'ing Tiamat I had set up the dracolich-owning cells from the Cult of the Dragon as another ally against Tiamat, which would only expose itself when the time came to reclaim The Well of Dragons as their home base.

I was one of those who liked the 3e Cult as a pseudo-Mafia with some really powerful muscle if you wanted to argue with them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases