• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Describing a setting in 12 bullet points - Spelljammer

Hussar

Legend
Well, that's true StE. I suppose Greyhawk and Krynn could make appearances, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

I can't really see them doing the meta setting thing ever again and try to tie all the settings together. It's an idea whose time has kind of come and gone in my mind. They made a pretty strong point about keeping Eberron off the Great Wheel and I'll bet dollars to donuts that the new Eberron 4e setting does not massively change the Eberron cosmology. They'll likely keep Eberron off the grid in 4e as well.

If they did keep it up with 1 setting per year, and Spell Jammer was one of them, it'll be a pretty long time before they have enough settings to link together in space as it is.

To me, I don't see a huge difference between the Phlogiston and the Astral Sea. It's a bit of potato potahto to me. If they did do SJ, I'd love to see a heavier Steampunk element added in, with a very healthy dash of Science Romance added in. More Jules Verne, Space 1889, steam powered clockwork golems and the like.

Make SJ the "magitech" setting.

Malacoda

First Post
Well, that's true StE. I suppose Greyhawk and Krynn could make appearances, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as I am concerned, the other D&D settings were a lead weight around the neck of Spelljammer. I hope any revival has no connection to the Realms, Krynn, Greyhawk and so on, except perhaps a few pages in the setting guide on how to use them. I want a setting that is all Spelljammer, all the time.

Well, lot of folk LIKE the idea of visiting the various D&D settings as grand adventures :)

I don't liek too much "magi tech" because folk too often go too "tech" not enough magic, ie magic would have profound effects on tech items, they would NOT be "robbie the robots" because advanced tech requires consistant precision machining
so, a 9mm pistol is basiclaly always the same no matter who makes it on which continent, if the design's the same.

but, with magic, a "gnomish autobot" wouldn't be always the exact same, ya know? folk need ot think magic, which is a varying ART, rather than science, which is absolutely limited to hard laws and specifications.
So, magitech is a whole 'nother ball game! Far more "perosnal" and not about vast factories.

I love gnomes with all kinds of mad gadgets, it's fun, long as folk keep it fun rather than game breaking.
Way I do that is by that issue with it being "art", it takes someone, an "artificer" know I'd guess, to build and fix them, Joe Blacksmith CANNOT do that, bar simple stuff.

So, if you have a "gnomish bolt pistol", you need that gnome who built it to fix it, or someone with similar skills who can learn it's ins and outs. An "generic" arcane caster MAY be able to fix it, but it's iffy

A standard in my campaigns is that gnomes are the masters of alchemy, and universally banned form centres of towns because of, ahem, accidents, some of which are very very big! :p

Fallen Seraph

First Post
To me, I don't see a huge difference between the Phlogiston and the Astral Sea. It's a bit of potato potahto to me. If they did do SJ, I'd love to see a heavier Steampunk element added in, with a very healthy dash of Science Romance added in. More Jules Verne, Space 1889, steam powered clockwork golems and the like..
*Drools* Not neccessarily as a new SJ but I would love to see a D&D setting involved with Luminiferous Aether and Steampunk/Victorian ideas of space travel, from Aether Ships to Space Guns. There is tons of fun to be had with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads