Forked Thread: Do nonmagical 1/day abilities damage suspension of disbelief?

hong

WotC's bitch
That is because you continue presenting the same tired, cryptic argument.

Those who listened to you have stopped "thinking too hard about fantasy."

Those who didn't are still trying to find a way to resolve the inconsistency in a way that satisfies them. Your solution does not, thus you are ignored.
I think of it as character building.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
... or you could just not think too hard about it.

Sorry, I'm not the kind of person who accepts that kind of advice.

I see no reason to settle for second-rate mechanics that evolved because someone just had to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sorry, I'm not the kind of person who accepts that kind of advice.

Then it becomes your problem, not anyone else's.

I see no reason to settle for second-rate mechanics that evolved because someone just had to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

It takes a certain kind of moral integrity to retain a grievance in the face of a reasonable solution.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Then it becomes your problem, not anyone else's.

Suggesting that someone try "Thinking less" about anything is usually creating a problem, and is being fairly insulting.

IOW, that makes you the problem.

It takes a certain kind of moral integrity to retain a grievance in the face of a reasonable solution.

When you provide a reasonable solution, I'll consider it.

hong

WotC's bitch
Suggesting that someone try "Thinking less" about anything is usually creating a problem, and is being fairly insulting.

IOW, that makes you the problem.

No, I am the one playing the game. You are the one complaining about not being able to play the game.

When you provide a reasonable solution, I'll consider it.

It is perfectly reasonable not to think too hard about fantasy. Just look at all the ppl playing WoW.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No, I am the one playing the game. You are the one complaining about not being able to play the game.

I'm the one choosing not to play the game for a variety of reasons, among which is the way the game handles 1/day non-magical exploits.

By telling me to think less about it, you're devaluing my complaints. That's insulting.
It is perfectly reasonable not to think too hard about fantasy.

I'll disagree with that assertion.
Just look at all the ppl playing WoW.

Never played it, don't intend to...but I'm pretty sure that wasn't too nice either.

hong

WotC's bitch
I'm the one choosing not to play the game for a variety of reasons, among which is the way the game handles 1/day non-magical exploits.

By telling me to think less about it, you're devaluing my complaints. That's insulting.

I am telling you there is a simple way to fix your complaints.

I'll disagree with that assertion.

And you'll note that I'm the one who is playing the game, while you are the one who is not playing the game.

Never played it, don't intend to...but I'm pretty sure that wasn't too nice either.

Are you insulting the millions of people who play WoW?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am telling you there is a simple way to fix your complaints.

No, you're insulting me.

And you'll note that I'm the one who is playing the game, while you are the one who is not playing the game.

I'm glad your simple mind can find simple pleasures in 4Ed. Personally, my brain is too active and there isn't enough handwavium currently available for me to do likewise.
Are you insulting the millions of people who play WoW?

No, it was your words that basically said that WoW players don't need to use their brains to play their game of choice.

Doomhawk

First Post
You can slash and cut into nearby enemies, or beat them back with skill and resolve, as many times as you want. But to do it effectively enough to instagib every minion that comes within arm's reach, or knock back every adjacent enemy with a single action, requires a certain amount of effort and circumstances that doesn't frequently happen. Because D&D is a game of joint storytelling, the player has some degree of narrative control over exactly when the right situation happens.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But to do it effectively enough to instagib every minion that comes within arm's reach, or knock back every adjacent enemy with a single action, requires a certain amount of effort and circumstances that doesn't frequently happen.

True, but it probably happens more than 1/day.

Remove ads