• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Healing Potions, from First Aid Skill

Starglim

Explorer
Even though it takes just a minor to drink the potion, shouldn't it at least take a minor to pull it out, and that's if the character has a free hand?

This would allow a player to pull it out one round and drink it the next, but by my understanding of the rules its not hugely faster than using ones second wind.

Dr. Ruminahui, shrink with a spear

Correct, but it's not quite as bad as that, since the PC can use his move action to take a minor action, so will generally be able to shift and use a healing potion, or attack and drink a potion. Quick Draw also works as mentioned.

Wizards, warlocks, archers and two-handed weapon fighters will often have a free hand. Some other characters can free a hand by dropping an off-hand item as a free action.

ChristopherA

First Post
Even though it takes just a minor to drink the potion, shouldn't it at least take a minor to pull it out, and that's if the character has a free hand?

This would allow a player to pull it out one round and drink it the next, but by my understanding of the rules its not hugely faster than using ones second wind.

Dr. Ruminahui, shrink with a spear

It isn't so much that spending two minor actions to drink a potion is faster than a standard action to take a second wind, but that it is much less costly. Spending a standard action to take a second wind means not attacking for a whole round. That is a big deal! If you aren't hurting the monsters, the fight will last longer and they will dish out more total damage.

Spending a couple minor actions is usually no big deal. Even if you have to spread it out over two rounds, you are still fighting at full effectiveness for those two rounds.

And, of course, you only get one second wind per combat, and you may need it later for someone to bring you back from unconsciousness with thE Heal skill. Potions can be used as often as you want.

Starglim

Explorer
Spending a couple minor actions is usually no big deal. Even if you have to spread it out over two rounds, you are still fighting at full effectiveness for those two rounds.

It depends on your class to some extent. A wizard, warlock or cleric with daily spells running, or a fighter who needs his off hand for a shield will find this difficult.

CapnZapp

Legend
Keeping one hand free is actually very useful.

You can hold a lantern in it, or you can use it to draw and quaff potions. Create a character who uses up both his hands for offense at your peril.

(And no, the PHB is not great at pointing out this fact. This is a mistake, I think, because it fosters the mentality that whether your hands are free or not is of no consequence in the game. That creating a sword + heavy shield fighter or two-rod warlock doesn't come with a drawback; that it is somehow "unfair" you can't do certain useful things if you lack a free hand; that it is a "bug in the system" if potion-drinking gets inconvenient if you lack a free hand)

Starglim

Explorer
That creating a sword + heavy shield fighter or two-rod warlock doesn't come with a drawback; that it is somehow "unfair" you can't do certain useful things if you lack a free hand; that it is a "bug in the system" if potion-drinking gets inconvenient if you lack a free hand

I certainly wouldn't argue any of those (except to dispute that the two-rod warlock works, but that's another thread). Choices and consequences are good and intended parts of the game.

ChristopherA

First Post
It depends on your class to some extent. A wizard, warlock or cleric with daily spells running, or a fighter who needs his off hand for a shield will find this difficult.

Yes, it makes a huge difference exactly what character you have and what situation you are in. A character with a heavy shield, or with a weapon in each hand, and without quick draw, is just not well equipped at all to use potions; it can take 4 minor actions to sheath weapon, draw potion, drink potion, and draw weapon. While a character with a light shield can just hold a potion in that hand all the time if he wants. And some classes have lots of other uses for minor actions, while some have no other uses.

I agree that the PHB does not do a good job at all of making this clear. When it says it takes a minor action to drink a potion, you could read this as meaning that the game handles holding items abstractly, and that you don't need to have a "free hand".

LostSoul

Adventurer
The PCs in my game go through potions of healing like they were candy - I think they were the difference between losing a PC and reatreating vs. winning in a few fights.

edit: There's one leader in the 5-man party; many times potions have been used on downed PCs, or PCs in a bad spot have pulled one out.

Remove ads