Formatting Weirdness

Richards

Legend
I've discovered something weird in going over some of my Story Hour posts. Every once in a while, whenever I use the italicize option it adds some sort of invisible "carriage return" at the end of it, such that anything following the italicized section drops down to the next line. It doesn't happen every time but enough that it's puzzling me. I've tried going in and changing it, but the only thing that seems to work is to un-italicize the word(s) in question. When I do so, the rest of the sentence continues on the rest of the same line. When I go back and italicize the word(s) again (either by hitting the italicize key or by using the "square bracket-i-square bracket" and "square bracket-/i-square bracket" formatting) it goes back to dropping the rest of the sentence down to the next line.

If it matters, I generally type up my Story Hour posts ahead of time in Notepad (using the square brackets for my italicizations and bolded text and whatnot) and then drop them into my next post.

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm assuming it's something that changed recently with the software, because I've found instances of much older posts in my previous Story Hours that didn't used to be that way. And I'm not sure why it affects some instances of italicized text but not others.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
The unit leader, a female drow cleric in ironsilk full plate armor, cast a bless spell over her own troops, right as Utred plucked a bead from his necklace of fireballs and hurled it into a cluster of drow warriors. One drow was burned to death almost immediately, while the exploding flames caused pain to another warrior, the cleric, and both of her bodyguards.

The above is a short paragraph from one of my Story Hours. For some reason, the third use of italicized text results in a carriage return of some type. I'm trying to figure out why.

Johnathan

Drazen

Demon Prince
The unit leader, a female drow cleric in ironsilk full plate armor, cast a bless spell over her own troops, right as Utred plucked a bead from his necklace of fireballs and hurled it into a cluster of drow warriors. One drow was burned to death almost immediately, while the exploding flames caused pain to another warrior, the cleric, and both of her bodyguards.

The above is a short paragraph from one of my Story Hours. For some reason, the third use of italicized text results in a carriage return of some type. I'm trying to figure out why.

Johnathan
Now THAT.....
I understand,

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I'm not seeing any unusual line breaks in your sample text. Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

Are your fonts set particularly small or large?

My initial guess/theory is that the text editor here on ENWorld is adding line breaks based on number of characters before parsing for formatting.

Richards

Legend
In post #3 above, the second line consists of the words "of fireballs" (in italics) and then goes to the next line. And yet, when Drazen quoted that passage (in post #4 above) it all lined back up normally. Are you not seeing the break in post #3? Maybe it's a browser thing?

Oddly enough, I tried putting "of fireballs" in italics in my example above in this very post and when I did a preview it did the exact same thing: drop the rest of the sentence (after "of fireballs") to the next line. Weird!

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
1606275918776.png

Here's what I'm seeing of my post #3, above, in case you're all seeing something different. And the font size is the normal default for EN World.

Johnathan

Remove ads