Forsaker... worst PrC ever??

Tzarevitch

First Post
Xarlen said:
Some things to remember:

Forsakers give up ALL magic. Arcane, Divine, Psionics (Yes, spell like or psionic abilities), Spell-Like Abilities, whatnot.

Given this, a Forsaker could have been a cleric. A druid. A wizard (Why he would, I do not know), a psychic warrior. Thus, the divine faith thing may not work as good (What is a god who disdains magic, that has clerics who he grants magic to?).

However, it is a possibility.

Another thing: It has been propsed to Houserule the Forsaker to 'Store up' his DR. So, he just breaks magical items, and when he NEEDS DR, he dips into a pool. Sort've like the Barbarian's rage, but more deeply rooted. Sort've a reserve of his power. But, perhaps that's a little too much, too magical, for some?

You are assuming that belief equates to faith in a deity. Check the Athar prestige class in whatever Dragon magazine contained the PLanescape faction prestige classes. As I recall, the Athar had SR or some other bonuses to save vs. divine spells specifically because they refused to believe in divine magic. The forsaker does the same thing but with all magic. He counters the supernatural by his unshaking belief that he will not be harmed with it.

My only problem with the Forsaker class is the mechanics of it. That but about having to break magic items constantly to keep his DR is stupid in my book. Having to track what item was broken and when is a pain both for me and for the PC. I house ruled that to he always has the DR so long as he continues to forsake magic.

Incidentally, this class fits perfectly in my Dark Sun campaign (especially since SR stacks with the SR the creature already has). My giants with Forsaker levels should come as a rude surprise to the PCs next time they encounter them. Since the discription for the class only refers to forsaking arcane magic, I ruled that forsakers do not have to forsake divine magic or psionics but they get NO benefits against either if they don't. (Magic or psionic items are always considered to be sorcerous in nature and must be forsaken and the Forsaker must still role saves even against beneficial psionic powers or divine spells. Basically fosakers can choose to tolerate priests and psions around them.)

Tzarevitch

Remove ads