Fort saves on HP loss?

S

Sunseeker

I know this is in the rules somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where. Basically, my DM is running is as: when you lose 1/4th or more of your health in a single hit, you must make a Fort Save to avoid dropping to 0 from system shock. Now, I've heard this rule before, but I'm not sure where it is in the books and can't seem to find it via google. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this just some common houserule I've been around long enough to think is legit?

Thanks for the help.

Nagol

Unimportant
Which edition?

In 3.X, there is the massive damage optional rule (3.5 DMG pg. 27) which has a fixed hp threshold requiring a Fort Save-or-die. The basic threshold for Medium creatures is 50 hp going up or down by +/- 10 per size category difference.

*edit* and there is the Clobbered optional rule on the same page. That inflicts a partial stun if a character takes 1/2 hp in a single hit.

S

Sunseeker

Which edition?

In 3.X, there is the massive damage optional rule (3.5 DMG pg. 27) which has a fixed hp threshold requiring a Fort Save-or-die. The basic threshold for Medium creatures is 50 hp going up or down by +/- 10 per size category difference.

*edit* and there is the Clobbered optional rule on the same page. That inflicts a partial stun if a character takes 1/2 hp in a single hit.

Ah that figures right in the beginning is where I usually miss things. But yeah I tagged the thread and forgot to mention the edition ix 3.X. Heh. Thanks!

Bkeats

First Post
Sounds like a variant houserule.

Here are some samples from Unearthed Arcana:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/massaveDamageThresholdsAndResults.htm

I like that you're DM is having the wounded character drop to zero hp rather than dying outright. I like the disabled state and dropping to zero should allow it to happen more often.

Actually, Shidaku's DM is MORE bloodthirsty, not less. Consider, under his example. You have 40HP, and take 10 points of damage from a blow. You now have to make a Fort save (since you took 1/4 of your health from one attack) or drop down to 0HP, instead of being nice and cozy at 30.

This homebrew rule (I can find it nowhere it any book) is ridiculously violent. It turns any combat very quickly into a bloodbath, and since you have an infinite supply of bad guys vs a few PCs, it always turns into a TPK. Sooner rather than later, I'd expect.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As a suggestion: If you want a "traumatic injury" rule that can disable someone, have the penalty for the failed Fort save be that the PC takes non-lethal damage equal to the damage done, as a way of recognizing shock and/or getting the wind knocked out of you.

Any healing done applies to both lethal and non-lethal, the impact isn't as severe regarding available healing, and it isn't "Save or Die", which being dropped to zero in combat can easily be.

Think of it as a kinder, gentler bloodbath.

Dandu

First Post
Yes, that's a much better way of handling things. Doing 50 points or more of damage per attack is common enough at medium to high levels to present a serious problem for PCs. Especially the ones fighting largeer creatures.

I'm personally in favor of inflicting a minor status ailment or penalty.

Remove ads