D&D 5E Foundation: Older Adventures.

GuyBoy

Hero
I’ve used a variant of Keep on the Borderlands as a home-base in three different campaigns, none of which included Caves of Chaos, plus my original use of it back in the late 1970s.
Both the Steading and the Glacial Rift have also featured at least twice during campaigns.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’ve used a variant of Keep on the Borderlands as a home-base in three different campaigns, none of which included Caves of Chaos, plus my original use of it back in the late 1970s.
Both the Steading and the Glacial Rift have also featured at least twice during campaigns.

Sound familiar I've also used sections of the CoC as a mini dungeon.

I do this all the time. Been doing that with old Ravenloft and old HARN modules over the years (those two have approaches I often like, or at least have material I can turn into something that fits my style).

carmachu

Explorer
Basically you grab an older adventure and use it as a foundation for a campaign. Anyone else do this for older adventures?

Example. Current campaign uses City if the Spider Queen. Mostly for maps. The campaign is completely different though the adventure vis mostly a backdrop.

Next campaign Fallout 4 post apocalyptic inspired. Using Kingmaker from PF1. PCs explore the maps dealing with the blight, dead/wild magic zones and blight storms.
I buy adventures to break apart. Use a town here in one module. An encounter from another. Ruins from a third. And so on.

it’s great to reuse old adventures from 1st to 5th. Or OSR and oD&D. Hell I use one shadowrun book for D&D

Bupp

Adventurer
My current campaign started off using UK4 When a Star Falls. I completely changed the monastery, but used the names for mine. Derwyth the druid is still a major NPC, and the derro have continued to be a thorn in the party's side. I changed up the Kagu dwarves a bit, and turned them into arms dealers that are still lurking in the shadows.

Stormonu

Legend
Does Ghosts of Saltmarsh and the adventures from Tales from the Yawning Portal count?

I haven't done it in 5E, but I've converted old modules to whatever edition I was using at the time, sometimes snagging a map or storyline from somewhere else for my own campaign.

Remove ads