Foundation Series (Apple+)

The is along with the last robot whiose name I forget.
Demerzel, I think.

The last episode had another great arc for the Empire.
Not sure what's up with Gaal and Hari, seems like they will have a long voyage ahead.

Sure, that works in terms of establishing events, but it's not emotionally effective if you're not already invested in the setting's established premise.

It's possible they decide to derail even the first crisis, but it could also be the first crisis is still going exactly according to Psychohistory's predictions. Maybe not Hari Seldon's personal plan, but there is a distinction here. Psychohistory - in my understanding - does not predict persons and mandate them to be in particular positions, but roles that will a particular purpose or effect. Seldon might have deemed particular persons particularly suited for these roles - but psychohistory doesn't predict it to be these persons.
The real changes he can bring along with his knowledge of psychohistory cannot hinge on these persons, but on larger groups of people - like the Foundation. But that doesn't mean he won't pick favorites.

I'm starting to think that Gaal is the Mule.
I think you might be dead on there. Especially since
she has put herself on ice for a hundred and some years, after already buggering up Hari's plan for a Second Foundation at Stars End. The title of the episode seems to support that: Gaal and the Mule are both "missing pieces".

MarkB

Legend
At this point I just don't feel like I know what the show's actually about, and that's having read the novels.

Supposedly there's this great plan based upon predictable statistical analysis that charts the way forward, but in detail the plan seems to rely upon some very unpredictable factors. In particular, the current arc hinges upon control of a warship that has been jumping randomly through the galaxy and might never have appeared anywhere near Anacreon.

To be fair, even the novel series comes to acknowledge that the concept of psychohistory is flawed and needs some modification, but the TV series seems to be treating it almost as a form of magic.

Well, I expect Hari the Hologram will explain it all in the next episode. Although it might be interesting if there is a discrepancy between what the recording says just happened, and what actually happened.

Remove ads