D&D 5E [FR] Mount Hotenow, Thundertree, and Neverwinter

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
How do you pronounce "Hotenow," anyway? During LMoP, my players kept pronouncing it "hot now," leading to many jokes: "What about that volcano, Mount Hotenow? Is it hot now?"

It's even worse when you consider "enow" is another way of saying "enough": "Hot enough?" I wonder if this is a name by Ed or a pun added by Paul Jaquays when he wrote FR5 The Savage North?

In the Neverwinter MMORPG videos, it is pronounced "hote" (rhymes with "goat") "e" "now" (rhymes with "snow"). I think you really need to emphasise the first syllable in that way to avoid the sniggering.... ;)

Last edited:

LapBandit

First Post
Scrivener,

I just want to say that your blog has been an INVALUABLE resource for the 5e campaign I'm running that started with the Start Set / Phandalin campaign. I'm using your Phandalin & Crags sandbox post as well as your Sword Mountains post to great extent. Thanks to you I've read and now have adapted Sons of Gruumsh as the followup campaign with the hook being the orcs at Wyvern Tor. I changed the orc champion that rides a wyvern near Xul'Jarak into a orog riding a young black dragon, and the wastes of Thar into the wilds north of Triboar, and the nobles will be coming from/based in Triboar. Thanks again for your extrapolation in blog form. It is awesome and anyone running a Phandalin campaign owes it to themselves to read your blog. Keep up the great work!

P.S. The orcs are the tribes not affiliated/dissatisfied with the Many-Arrows kingdom and spoiling for conquest which the orogs promise / organize them for. The black dragon sees an opportunity to make a name for itself while gathering treasure promised by the orogs.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Wow, thanks for the kind words, [MENTION=6778098]Us[/MENTION]. That is very much the campaign I would run. I should be starting my own 5E campaign next week centred on Phandalin but I've been requested to run a conversion of Keep on the Borderlands purely for reasons of nostalgia.

But I would love to run the whole Sons of Gruumsh idea.... :)

Remove ads