• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FR Preview-Sword Mage and Genasi

Stalker0

Legend
My take on the swordmage.

Overall, the flavor is very cool, but ultimately, I still worry that this is going to be a better defender than the fighter and paladin.

Since he's int based, he's likely going to have a +4 int mod starting off. With his warding ability that's 10 + 4 int + 2 leather armor + 3 warding = 19 AC, and a +4 bonus to reflex saves. A scale mail, heavy shield fighter also has a 19 AC, but only has a +2 reflex (unless he's a light blade fighter and is using dex for his secondary stat), and also has a -1 speed and a -1 armor check penalty.

On the other hand, the swordmage gets 1 less healing surge per day than the fighter, and 2 less than the paladin, so that could make up for it.

The aegis of assault is actually pretty weak, because its a melee basic attack, and strength won't be their primary stat. On the other hand, you can often flank with the teleport so that might make up for it.

The aegis of shielding is overpowered at higher levels imo. The 5 + con mod isn't too bad, especially since it is not a primary stat for the swordmage like charisma is to a paladin. However, it should not become 10 + con at 11th and 15 + con at 21st. Monster hitpoints scale a lot faster than their damage, so its okay that the paladin gets more damage at higher levels. But the aegis should not scale, or at least no where as fast.

Greenflame blade is a much better cleave. It doesn't do as much damage as cleave because strength is a secondary stat, but in general cleave is a minion killer, and this one lets you kill more minions with a single swing.

I will say I like Blastback Swipe, just because the mechanics are new and unique. This is always the big worry with teh powers system...will new powers just look slightly altered copies of the original powers? This one is a power you can use on a charge or when using your swordmage ability, which is cool and unique. Hope to see more flavorful powers like this one.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think it's now possible to run a full, balanced party with all the various roles, using just spellcasters. Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, and SwordMage. That could be cool for Magic College campaigns.

Jack99

Adventurer
It looks a bit more powerful than the other defenders. However this is only based on a quick read-through, not thorough analysis.

But damn I want to play one, they look sweet. Can't wait to try out a Swordmage multiclass wizard too.

Kordeth

First Post
I think it's now possible to run a full, balanced party with all the various roles, using just spellcasters. Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, and SwordMage. That could be cool for Magic College campaigns.

Don't forget you can swap the cleric for an artificer if you want an all-arcane group.

Now if we can just get a martial controller, we can get an all-martial party too.

AllisterH

First Post
Er, did I miss something...

Was the warding ability culled? I thought it was supposedly double your INT modifier

Last edited:

Dolfan

First Post
windsoul, watersoul, and stormsoul look decent, and I bet you'll see a lot of characters from the Akanul region.

I'm actually from the Akanul region, and I've wanted to play a Genasi Swordmage since before the rules were released... I really hope that I don't get labelled as the new cheesy build.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads