• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR]The Return of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach (updated 8/20!)

My favorite Hero is....

• Benito

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Aris

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Grim

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ellysidell

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ivan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosr

Votes: 3 17.6%

LuYangShih

First Post
Once again, it is not Benito, nor Aris, who saves the party in their time of need. It is Grim. I say that he should get bonus experience for showing such great restraint in regards to the ignorance of the supposed party leaders. ;)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
LuYangShih said:
Once again, it is not Benito, nor Aris, who saves the party in their time of need. It is Grim. I say that he should get bonus experience for showing such great restraint in regards to the ignorance of the supposed party leaders. ;)

Grim appreciates your comments, but like his character, the player is generally taciturn.

Well, we stopped here early summer and picked up Champions. However, with the release of Skip Williams' Cry Havoc! to help with the impending battles to come, we will soon pick it back up.

Hopefully, this adventure will be wrapped up in one session :),

but you know how players are.

honorwolf

First Post
:D Well my friends, associates, and Lu. I have Two sentences to utter. "That was cool. That battle was cool!"
P.S. Lu you are welcome to play and let your hero Grim lead you to victory. :p
The heroes are a well oiled machine, all egos aside, in a fight, in a war, against evil, we work like a hand. Together, despite our shortcomings and weakness we excel. I thank you for your comments, I will tell the group that Grim shall lead now. ROFL! :D

Broccli_Head

Explorer
earlier than expected!

Inside the Colossus, near Deadsnows, Early Fall, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

Through wind and the trees had come whispers of the metal monstrosity terrorizing the countryside near Deadsnows. When the word had reached Ariod the Everchanging, a member of the Great Druid Circle of Turlang’s Wood, he had asked Treeroot permission to combat the menace that threatened the town of his birth. Running to the edge of a cliff, the human form of Ariod leaped into the air and then changed in a matter of heartbeats to the eagle. Hours later an eagle banked as it neared the Colossus, surprised at its enormity. It flew around the massive head of the giant golem, and then darted quickly down as he felt the eyes of the creature stare at him. Around the hip area he saw several arrow slits and decided to change to a form more suitable for entry. He became incorporeal…a ghost.

As he shifted to the ethereal, something caught his attention. Looking above he saw an amorphous mass of flesh descending towards him. The phantasm was horrifying, but Ariod steeled his will and the thing vanished. There were mages about, he surmised, and slipped into the crack.

“We go up,” replied Aris stating the obvious.

The prisoners were useless and even though Benito had healed one, he was not forthcoming with any new information. Ellysidell made sure that they would be out for hours with a couple of sturdy taps to the head, and the party decided to continue through a set of brass doors. Grim, after assuring himself that the doors were not trapped, unlocked the door and surveyed the room. To his left a translucent figure floated at the end of a large table.

Ghost! he mentally screamed to Benito and tumbled towards it.

Uncharacteristically, the halfling misjudged the chairs, slowing down his maneuver. And while he ended up next to the ghost, he could not drive Cruelty's Nemesis into the foul beast before it floated through the table towards a set of stair leading up. Benito stood forward and called upon Ilmater, sending a beam of searing light at the ghost. It passed through the incorporeal creature and turned the iron wall behind it red hot. Ivan and Kyros were next to attack, but before they could cleave the ghost with scimitar or greatsword, Aris called out.

“Hail and well met, shapeshifter.”

Benito looked at him, puzzled at the genasi’s insight. Aris smiled and tapped Tymora’s Eyepatch of Truth that covered his right eye.

The ghost turned to face the heroes and extended his arms, palms upward. Then he morphed into an angel. It was not as impressive as the mighty deva, Suldolphin, but still inspired the party enough towards restraint instead of slicing and dicing the newcomer. Benito introduced himself and in short order the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach and Stormwolf Legion had learned of Ariod, the follower of one of their latest allies, the Mighty Turlang of the High Forest.

The pleasantries were interrupted by a yelp of surprise and pain. They turned to the source and saw Ellysidell slide down a ramp that had formerly been a set of stairs and into a fiery pit. He “ooched” and “ouched” for a few heartbeats, but then found a ladder out of the furnace. Grim gave him a stern look.

Can you just wait the next time? You know that I go first and find the traps!

After the stairs reset, Grim climbed up, found the trap and marked it for his friends. Benito reluctantly healed the impatient wild elf and the heroes continued with their new companion Ariod.

Grim listened at the door as the rest of the group stood in what looked like a hastily emptied mess hall. A ladder at the far end of the room, opposite the stairs they had entered, led further up, but much to the chagrin of the more blade-happy members of the party, the halfling had heard a noise that he wanted to investigate. A grinding and humming sound greeted the rogue as he pressed his ear against the listening cup from his handy toolkit. He stealthily opened the door and saw three gnomes covered in grime and sweat attempting to repair a leak amidst a room full of pipes and gears and boilers. He took two quick strides and smacked one across the face with his kama sending the poor engineer crumpling to the ground. A female gnome squealed and crawled away behind some gears while another cowered in fear just as the rest of the party crashed into the room.

Ivan, feeling ornery from lack of exciting combat, threatened to kill the poor gnome. Benito stepped in as the gnome, in between cowering and groveling before the Heroes, gesticulated excitedly at the steaming pipes.

“We’re all gonna die!” he cried. “The pipes are breached! It’s gonna blow!” he continued frantically.

Benito using his soothing fatherly voice, calmed the gnome, but then the whole Colossus buckled sending Aris into the machinery, and the gnome went back to panicking. Then the cleric of Ilmater, not shy about getting dirty jumped in with the gnome and Ellysidell to fix the damage. Kyros and Ivan pulled Aris from between the sliding gears seconds before he was crushed.

Shortly, the steam subsided and the three workers were wiping their brow.

“Well,” said the gnome, “He won’t be walkin’ any time soon, but at least nothin’ else will happen. I’ll go and let Glym and Xentarich know that the damage caused by the intruders has been controlled. I hope they’ve been neutralized….”

Then the gnome looked around.

“Wait a sec, you’re not Darkblades or Nighthawks or…,”

His voice trailed off as the realization set in and he began screaming again. Ivan glowered and reached a leather-gloved hand towards the engineer….

Broccli_Head

Explorer
bonus!

Still Inside the Colossus, near Deadsnows, Early Fall, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

After a friendly interrogation, the HotVR&SL, learned the following: his name was Glick, the Colossus was a magical artifact found in the Anarouch desert by a Red Wizard named Xentarich; Glym and the rest of the gnomes had been hired by the wizard to help run the golem (How could a gnome pass up such an opportunity?); and most importantly that the main control center was in the head of the construct, nearly a hundred feet above them. The heroes secured the other two gnomes and took Glick with them to the ladder.

“What’s up there?” asked the cleric

“Control center for the body,” replied Glick.

Grim nodded and stealthily climbed the ladder. He saw a pair of cloven hooves and looked up. A huge fiery warhammer came swinging towards him from the minotaur to whom those hooves had belonged. At the last second, Grim twisted to one side, catching the hammer on his left shoulder instead of his brain pan. Losing his grip on the ladder due to the pain and force of the blow, he came crashing to the ground.

Benito! Make with the healing! he sent to the cleric of Ilmater.

To the others… “Big…big…man-bull…minotaur…”

Ellysidell then climbed the later, seeing if he could get in a strike without sticking his head in the opening. It was not possible. Ariod changed into a ghost and ascended about 10 paces from the ladder. His head surfaced among a control panel laden with switches and levers. In the room he saw the burly minotaur and three other armored human--two men and one woman—armed and ready to defend the entrance in the floor. The bull-man turned towards him and he shot back down. From above, the heroes heard a resounding SMASH. After a few moments of indecisiveness by the normally quick-to-action heroes and a botched summoning by Ariod, a flask of alchemist’s fire exploded on Ellysidell. He screamed in rage and finished the rest of his climb up the ladder swinging at the first target he saw. Golden-fire bit deep into the minotaur’s side and the creature bellowed, retaliating with several crushing hits from his hammer and finishing with a gore from its horns that left a bleeding gash in Ellysidell’s chest. Someone else sliced into him with a sword, but the wild elf, seeing red, ignored the pain and yelled just as intensely as the minotaur he faced.

With the way clear, Aris leaped from the floor through the hole and tumbled past another adversary guarding the entrance, slashing him with Blue Destiny as he passed. Reaching his feet he spun as two arrows flew towards him. One missed wide. The other, Aris deflected just before it hit his neck. Kyros followed, running up the walls to face the same mercenary and then with a powerful stab of his magical greatsword, ended his life. Ivan and Grim followed taking on the other bad guys, and Ariod floated through the floor again changing into the trumpet archon form he had used before, and manifesting a great club to wield against the enemy. Two more mercenaries revealed themselves with ineffectual stabs at Ivan and Ariod.

Ellysidell growled and stared at the minotaur as it frothed at the mouth. He spun and faked a slash at the beast’s abdomen, at the last second turned his falchion at an upward angle catching the minotaur in it’s thick neck and separating it from its shoulders. His weapon then continued striking a metal pipe and lodging itself there.

The bouncing minotaur head drained the morale of the other fighters, but since there was no where to run, the continued to fight desperately. However, they were once again no match for the heroes. Blades slashed and cut and a club pounded, and soon the mercenaries’ bodies littered the floor.

“Alright Glick, your worth is ever increasing, and I am sure if you continue to show your loyalty, I have a position for you when this is all over. How do we continue up?”

Glick stared at the genasi and then at the priest, sighed and went to the control board, somehow still intact after the wild elf and minotaur had smashed a section or two.

He asked, “Can I stay down here?”

Benito gave him a stern look, and the gnome reluctantly walked over to stand next to the cleric as a section of the floor began to move mechanically up. The heroes crowded on board, with Ariod floating above them. The platform grinded to a halt, and unlike the floors below, this one was not broken by iron bulkheads. Instead four glass cylinders, about evenly spaced away from the platform, dominated the room. Each held a prisoner of some sort. A reptilian creature lay twisted in the glass jar at 315 degrees . Counter-clockwise an elven maiden lay hung in suspension and then a naked human male. Finally, at 45 degrees some horrific, twisted black blob writhed inside. The cylinders dissolved a few breaths after the elevator stopped.

The gnome engineer fell to his knees and began screaming, “This is not good! We’re all gonna die!”

Grim took off towards the elven maiden, and caught her before she hit the ground. Ellysidell followed. Aris and Ivan went to check out the dinosaur which was dead and dessicated. Kyros cautiously approached the naked man who began yelling in tandem with the gnome. He swung his greatsword smacking the man on the side of head to quickly subdue him. Unphased by the hit, the man lunged at Kyros and tried to bite him. The psychic warrior saw the crazed look in his eyes and felt an unnatural heat emanating from the feral human as the normal looking teeth just barely missed his face.

Benito watched as Ariod changed again into a trumpet archon and charged the chaotic, amorphous beast. He heard the elven maiden add to the cacophony of screams and then Ariod cry out in horror and pain as a tentacle from the blob lashed out and struck him. Benito saw him drop his items drop to the floor and transform into a formless mass of flesh. Benito blinked, speechless as the chaos reigned around him…

honorwolf

First Post
:cool: It is a good thing that we did not attack our newest party member. Even though it still seemed like a good idea. And by the way who sticks a chaos beast in a towering, walking, Gigantor(the medieval giant robo of doom). These are not things that you are supposed to find. It was a suprise that made us take note. Once again some lessons had to be learned the hard way by some of the other members. (Ellysidell) Yes, he must remember to let Grim go first. Grim is the scout. He checks for traps. Well, I am sure we will all remember more things about our characters as the campaign continues from our long Hiatus. Long live us! Well, I hope anyway. Broc is an evil DM. He will kill us all if he could. Cool thing about our DM he is not arbitrary. If we die it will be from our own stupidity or the encounter was just too powerful. Probably the latter knowing him. :D But I tell you it felt great to be adventuring with the gang again. Benito and I rule!!!!!!! Great thing is the interplay of all the Heroes. Once in a fight, we can always come together. Some tacticlly unsound mishaps do occur but fortunately we can usually correct them as soon as it happens. Once again Ell has established himself as the walking quisinart. Benito as our uber cleric of light, Grim the taciturn rogue who clears 98% of the traps we face. Ivan as the intimaditing weapons master, who like Ell is a walking GInzu, Kyros as our resiedent Jedi Warrior(psychic warrior) he may as well be a jedi and myself as the leader of this happy band(who works so tirelessly to get us paid in loot and plunder) :D THe Heroes are back. More tales are forthcoming. "Benito! Make with the healing!"

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Happy Halloween!

Yet Still Inside the Colossus, near Deadsnows, Early Fall, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

*Pain*...*confusion*...Who am I? What am I?...*more pain*...*a flash of light*...must kill...must KILL...*he heard a scream*...was that me?

Ariod, maddened by the transformation, writhed towards the chaos beast.

Benito fired a powerful beam of negative energy towards the twisted, tentacled creature. Ichor sprayed everywhere on the walls and on the mutating form of Ariod. It did not die. He saw that the creature that Ariod had become began to punch the beast. It was a horrifying site to see two amorphous piles of flesh, one black, the other green intertwined and lash pseudopods at each other. The gnome engineer maddened by the sight began rolling around on the floor.

Aris drew his bow and fired arrows at the other raving madman that fought with Kyros. Two hit and caught fire. Ivan and Ellysidell closed on the human who came at them with bared teeth. As they slashed at the man, heat coursed up their weapons. It was bizarre to see a crazy naked man taking that kind of punishment and still be alive.

"Things are not as they seem," thought Kyros out loud, striking with his greatsword--the edge this time--and cutting the man badly.

"Benito, lay down the boom! I think that Ellysidell and Ivan can take it," called Aris tossing a handaxe at the man closing cautiously with Blue Destiny drawn.

His 'axe went wide. Benito turned to the other fight and beagn his orison, then he looked to the chaos beast. Ariod had regained solidity, but not sanity as he continued to smash the beast with his angelic fists. Benito judged the distance and very soon a ripple of holy and sonic energy blew across the room, centered in between both melees. Ichor from the now dead chaos beast covered the walls and Ariod, who looked first with anger and then pleadingly towards the cleric of Ilmater. Benito ran towards him and asked Ilmater to grant him the power to heal Ariod's condition. A powerful white nimbus surrounded the pair and the shapeshifting druid regained control.

Suprisingly, the lunatic continued to fight. However, even as Kyros backed away, fearing the intense heat that poured from the naked man, Ivan and Ellysidell slashed and cut with fury finally bringing him down. The man spasmed, and Ivan, Kyros, and Ellysidell were thrown back as him, now dead changed to its real form, a glowing and smoking remorhaz.

"Bloody Ice worm! I knew it," cried Ivan rising from the ground.

Ellysidell looked at him strangely.

"I smelled the brimstone, lad," he said pointing to his nose.

Ivan took a deep breath, "Ahh, reminds me of the mountains and them ice worms back home...."

Somehow the gnome engineer had survived the explosions, but was still a gibbering fool. Benito picked him up by the collar of his tunic.

"Get it together, man!" he said shaking him not too hard.

The gnome was crying, not used to the harrowing experience of combat and explosions and extraplanar aberrations.

"Can you get us out of here?"

He nodded, and pointed to a section of wall. Benito let him go to walk over to a hidden panel. While the gnome manipulated certain controls, Ariod gingerly changed to a ghost and floated up to search the rooms above.

Grim introduced the elven maiden as Aletha, a "star" elf from the Yuirwood in Aglarond, far to the east. She had been captured and sold into slavery eventually landing in Xentarich's household. He had brought her along to excavations in some vast desert, but she had been unruly. Eventually, he had put her in this strange glass prison. Grim decided to stay with her while the rest of the crew went up to the next level on the platform. By the time the rest of the heroes arrived, Ariod had explored three of four rooms. One had been an empty prison. One he had been unable to pass through its walls. A spiral staircase led to the floor above.

"Up, keep moving up," ordered Aris.

Benito led the way. The next floor was dominated by metal staff with a glowing orb attached to it. The floor was empty and another staircase, this one made of crystal led upstairs. The gnome informed them that there was only one more floor. This level was the bottom half of the head of the Colossus. Ariod moved past Benito to explore ahead. Peeking around the corner, he saw the feet and legs of a stone statue standing at the top of the stairs. The heroes marched upward and stood in front of a stone golem. It stared down at them unmoving, fist clenched and ready to smash. Between it and the party stood a transluscent wall of force. Behind it four armored humans stood in front of a barricade.

"Well?" asked the cleric.

"There is no other choice. Let us finish this and see what this Red Wizard can bring to bear," replied their fearless leader, Aris Cloud-dancer.

Aris drew his bow and stood ready. Benito prayed to Ilmater to give him the divine strength to dispel this evil wizard's powerful magic. The wall of force shimmered and winked out of existence. The stone golem creaked, raising its massive arms. It brought them down with amazing speed.

The final battle for the Colossus was joined.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Yet Again...Still Inside the Colossus, near Deadsnows, Early Fall, 1378, Year of the Cauldron

Aris fired two arrows quickly at one of the mercenaries, but the golem responded in kind, beating the genasi with two stone fists. Benito seeing the potential bottleneck on the top of the stairs, ran past the golem and was similarly punished. Kyros tumbled by to join Benito, recognizing the trap as well, but Ellysidell hung back attempting to confront the stone construct directly. Ivan moved to flank the creature with Ellysidell and began hacking with his scimitars, chipping away small pieces of stone.

Ellysidell was about to cleave into the construct as well, but then Benito saw him shrink and then disappear. Then a black bolt of arcane energy struck the priest of Ilmater and suddenly he felt weaker, and he had forgotten some of his more powerful prayers. Ariod floated past the melee at the stairs and stood amidst the four mercenaries of the Red Wizard, then he changed form.

Benito gasped. Aris raised an eyebrow. Ariod turned into a glabrezu!

I'll have to have a talk with him later, but right now...

Benito closed in on the barricade, the location from where the enervation had come. Aris tumbled past the golem, realizing his inital error. He searched the room and spied a small gnome and fired an arrow missing, but getting the gnome's attention. Kyros had run into another mercenary who had tried to surprise he and Benito by being invisible. The psychic warrior cut him down after his initial strike had cut the cleric. Ivan became the golem's target of choice and cried out in pain as two stone fists smashed into him. Ariod was ripping the mercenaries to shreds, but instead of fleeing, the enemies fought desparately to overcome the "demon". OF the four, two were already down, overcome by the huge pincers, claws, and teeth of the demonic form.

Ellysidell found himself in a hedge maze, with walls impossibly high, however, he turned left and then right and found the exit in no time...

...and Ellysidell appeared again, shaking his head at the strange maze that he had just escaped. He felt a tingling inside his head and felt his id laugh insanely and want to come out, but now in a rage at being duped once, he forced that call to insanity aside and brought his falchion down on the golem. Sparks and trails of fire flew. Ivan sliced another couple of stone chunks, but the construct responded in kind, continuing to slam the Rashemani with its fists.

Aris ran towards the overturned bed that made up the barricade as he saw the gnome run behind it again. Aris vaulted over and sliced at the gnomish spellcaster.

Not downing him, he cried, "Benito, bring down the thunder!"

The cleric raised his eyebrows and repsonded in kind with another sonic flamestrike. It blew one of the remaining two mercenaries to bits before Ariod could cut him down and sent the gnomish spellcaster reeling. Twisting in the air, Aris avoided the heavy-handed holiness and landed in front of the gnome ready to slice again. However, the gnome had been thoroughly fried.

Ariod picked up the last enemy fighter and ripped him in half.

Another flurry of slashes and Ellysidell and Ivan downed the stone golem. They were about to join the rest of the gang, when both found themselves in a 10 x 10 room with no doors or windows.

A cube of stone blocked the stairs down. Benito sighed, evaluating his damage, while the others tried figure a way past the strange cube.

Two levels down, Grim became bored, until this horrid phantasm of a huge green dragon appeared before him nearly frightening him to death. He shook it off. There was no way that a dragon that size could fit in here. However, when he snapped out of the illusion, Aletha lay dead next to him.

Grim growled, "I'm hunting me down a red wizard!" and he began to stealthily climb the shaft and then the stairs on the next level.

First, the heroes tried to smash through the eyes of the iron giant. It quickly seemed near impossible. Kyros thought that perhaps he could send the stone block through the eye. Benito and Aris argued at the folly of that course of action.

"Probabilities are that Ivan and Ellysidell will live, even when the block goes through the eye and plummets to the ground below," said Kyros matter-a-factly.

They began arguing again. Ariod, not one to join in the dysfunctionality changed back into his ghost form and went through the floor. Changing back into the glabrezu, his heightened senses smelled and heard another presence in the room.

He attempted to bluff.

"I smell you mage. Surrender and it will go well for you."

A stammering voice answered in Abyssal, "I did not think that these invaders summoned your ilk, but perhaps we can make a deal, demon."

This time Ariod hesitated, not quite understanding what the Red Wizard said. Fortunately, Grim had heard the voices and he sneaked towards the voice. Before Xentarich could strike, Grim sliced at the sounds and scored a lucky hit. Then the mage said a single word...and Grim fell to the ground, unable to move. Ariod attacked and hit more than once with his ferocious appendages, but the mage still taunted him and let out with a flurry of magic missles and then a great blast of sonic energy, that nearly left Ariod deaf.

By that time, Kyros had tried his telekinetic experiment, sending the block crashing into the eye of the Colossus. It did not break, but it cracked slightly. Ivan and Ellysidell cursed from inside at the rough jostling. Benito, seeing the way clear, ran down the stairs as the explosive sounds reached his ears. He cast his own word of power, blinding the stunned Grim and the Red Wizard. Ariod flooded the room with a spell of create water and homed in on the splashes of Xentarich's boots.

Seeing that the day was lost and wanting to save his precious hide, the Thayan cried out, "You have not heard the last of Xentarich!"

He teleported just as Ariod slashed him with a pincer.

Two heartbeats later, the staff with the prismatic gem on top turned an angry red color and a booming voice sounded in their heads, WHY HAVE YOU CAUSED MY MASTER TO FLEE!!!??

Benito responded with some quick diplomacy explaining who they were and how the Colossus had been duped.

A flood of memories filled his head...an ancient sun cult...floating cities...powerful magicks...a young acolyte sacrificing his spirit....

The voice came into their heads again PLEASE...HELP ME TO ESCAPE THIS METAL BODY.

Depsite protests from Aris, Benito and Ariod set about helping the Colossus to self-destruct. The metal giant hobbled towards the lower slopes of the Nether Mountains, finding a secure vale between two peaks. Inside, the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach collected their prisoners and moved the forcecage containing Ivan and Ellysidell to a lower level and floating them out from the Colossus with Kyros's telekinesis. Soon they were out and secure. Benito and Ariod said their goodbyes and the heroes wathced from afar as the Colossus exploded from within, sending the head into the air. The body caught fire from within and collapsed to the floor of the vale shaking the ground even where the heroes camped.

"It's been a while since we have spent the night out of door," observed Benito as the sun began to set behind the mountains and the glow of the Colossus' burning began to light the vale.

"Where do we go next, Aris?" asked the cleric.

"Silverymoon. The High Lady owes us a few favors now. I mean to cash in."

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post
Well good to see your all caught up Broc :D It was a good post and a fun game, nothin says fun like throwin around empowered sonic flame strikes on top of your buddies and not gettin yelled at for it, heh. Now all we got to do is return the cursed moonblade to Evermeet and then its off to Iraebor !!! /benito voice on, "I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum!", lol. 'They Live' is such a great movie :)

Remove ads