FR to look like a Roger Dean painting

S'mon

Legend
Elder-Basilisk said:
I didn't like that much either at the time, but considering it from another angle, if they could file off the post-modern guilt and obligatory social commentary along with Cortez's name, the conquest of the new world would be one heck of a D&D campaign...
...In short, the problem with the file off Cortez's name was that the authors during the 1e/2e transition decided to cast the characters and the PCs in the role of conscienscious 20th century observers of someone else's conquest of the new world instead of growing a pair and letting the PCs actually play Cortez.

Excellent point. In any case, if the GM wants to do social commentary it's a far better approach to keep the PCs as the Cortes-ian protagonists, but show the effects; let the commentary be at a metagame level rather than having angsty postmodern liberals traipsing around a quasi-historical setting.

Having said that I do like Michael Moorcock's angsty postmodern swords & sorcery - but Elric, Corum, Erekose, Hawkmoon et al are always at the centre of the action. You can always run a Corum type game and have the PCs be champions of the indigenous culture facing technologically/militarily superior invaders; although D&D is more designed for an offensive orientation.

AllisterH

First Post
Rain said:
Overall i like what i have heard about 4e, the art is the exception, 3.0-3.5 in terms of artwork and layout was perfect but 4e just has this old look about it, like everyone just grabbed a bunch of 1st edition D&D books and redrew everything in it. I will have to wait and see how this new FR direction is, but pointing people towards bad 70's album covers just plays in to my overall worry about 4e art direction

Yeah, Worlds & Monster confirms that they are moving more towards the 1E/2E art direction (scenery shots/characters in pose) and less of the 3E method (depicting characters in action).

You're the only one so far that is like me, somewhat disappointed with this.

I always hated the "static pose/character shot" since really, when I see an Elmore painting such as the ones listed above what I first think is "What's the story behind this/who are these people" whereas the 3E action shot makes me think "Ok, I want to BE that guy in the picture" which I always thought was better for a roleplaying game.

You want to get people interested in playing the characters not simply listening to an adventure (I can always just read a book).

Hussar

Legend
Whisperfoot said:
I actually prefer "static Elmore crap" to 90% of what's found its way into D&D books since the launch of 3rd edition. I feel that Elmore does a much better job at capturing the essence of character than many of the attempts since he more or less left D&D. Everyone has their own taste. Mine is Elmore and Easley.

I would agree with you if not for the Drizzt novels, which as much as people love to mock them, happen to be what is most associated with the Forgotten Realms by the casual (read non-gamer) reader. The Icewind Dale is all about harsh landscapes, grim characters, and gritty realism. Drizzt sneaking into the orc army camp and slitting their throats as they sleep is grim and gritty. Wulfgar tortured at the hands of Errtu for years and then returning the FR, only to become a drunk and leave everyone he cares about is grim and gritty. There are a ton more examples, but the point is that even though a lot of FR has gotten away from grim and gritty, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist in the setting.

Hey, I don't care if they raise Salvador Dali and have him do the art, or better yet Pablo Picasso. It's all good. It just isn't the style I always associated with the setting. But then neither were the 3rd edition FR products. I still bought them and enjoyed them.

Heh.

To me, honestly, when I think FR, I think of the Baldur's Gate games first and foremost. Now, that's high fantasy. Also, you've got the Time of Troubles in there, and a lot of the Elminister stuff as well.

I never read too many of the FR novels, so, they've never really been FR to me.

I suppose you could say that the FR is more than big enough to encompass both styles.

Belorin

Explorer
To be fair, the Roger Dean type landscape the OP is talking about is only a small portion of the Forgotten Realms, here is the full sidebar his quote is from:
Tone and Feel

One part of creating a new edition of the Forgotten Realms is re-envisioning the look of Faerûn and creating a new interpretation of this classic fantasy setting. We’ve decided to shift the visuals of the setting toward a slightly more fantastic look, drawing inspiration from many sources—for example, the exquisite visuals of artists such as Roger Dean or Frank Frazetta (without the nudity, it’s a PG game). We sometimes think of this as playing D&D in a world that looks just a little bit like the cover of a Yes album. High fantasy doesn't mean that the Realms are turning into a magical steampunk setting. Eberron already has elemental-powered airships and trains, and that is not the direction set for the Realms.

Instead, the landscape itself is often spectacular, striking, and magical. Of course each region maintains its own distinctive flavor; Waterdeep isn’t adrift on a floating earthmote, and the Dalelands still have plenty of farmland and forest… with just a little touch of the fantastic here and there.
I'm certain that the majority of the art will reflect the same great art found in the R&C and W&M previews.

Bel

Remove ads