Frankenstein 3.75

Crashy75

First Post
I am contemplating a '3.75' of sorts, but I don't quite have a lot of time. I have come across this lovely little Pathfinder Beta that I would like to use as a base. However, I am not quite satisfied with everything I see in that book (though the final version might change my mind!). I have decided to take mechanics from other games that I prefer. Please let me know what you think and if there is something that I should consider.

Sources:

Pathfinder RPG Beta: The base. I will probably switch to the final version when it comes out. I am hopeful particularly as it has been so thoroughly play tested.

3.0: Yes. I liked some 3.0 mechanics better. yep, I do.

4e: I tried to like 4e, I really did. It just wasn't for me. However, there are a couple of features that I really do like.

Arcana Evolved: There are a number of things I really like about AE. Some are already incorporated into pathfinder which is a plus.

The boards: Some good stuff here. I'm going to steal it.

Alterations:

Skills In general I much prefer pathfinders approach to skills. In particular, I love their mechanic for handling 'class skills'. However, I prefer 4e's athletics/acrobatics groupings to pathfinders acrobatics, climb, swim. Also, I don't like that 'concentration' is an Int skill. (also, it bothers me that 'casting defensively' doesn't take your opponents skill into consideration particularly when they did this with tumble- I'll use AE's version for this). I am going to bring back concentration (with an 'auto-hypnosis feat) and break the rest of the spell craft skill into Kno: arcana and religion. Also, I'm going to condense some of those skills down. Kno: history and nobility are begging to be combined for example. AE's diplomacy. I'm also following that thread on modifying the jump skill on these boards here.

Classes: I like Pathfinders classes. Not so much the fighter and monk however. I'm not sure what to do about this. I like the 4e fighter's ability to stop and engage enemies... I'm not really sure. I'm not against using the ToB- it'd probably be easiest just to replace them with the swordsage and warblade. But there are a quite a few maneuvers that I don't particularly like- for example, just about all desert wind maneuvers. I just don't know.

Mechanics:

Combat Maneuvers: I'm really torn on Pathfinders CMB. I am probably going to wait for the final version.

Second wind. I really like this feature. It's a decent stopgap for Cleric Dependency Syndrome. The heal skill will have it's 4e application to allow another character to spend a second wind. I'll probably give 4 uses per day.

Weapons I like 4e 'weapon properties'. For example I could imagine weapons with the 'light' property utilizing dexterity rather than strength. (yeah, i'd just give weapon finesse for free). I'm also fond of AE's 'weapon templates' and 'parry' stat.

Stat increase: 4e version. No stat boosting items though. I think there was a houserule thread somewhere about this... can't find it.

That's all I can think of for now.

Crashy75

First Post
<spam>Project Phoenix might be what you're looking for. It's got a lot of what you mentioned, and more.

I don't consider that spam. This is exactly the type of thing I am talking about! A link to a thread discussing this would help. It seems the forum there is empty. Or if you like I would be very happy discussing your design philosophy here.

Remove ads