Really like these changes. They all have an appropriate impact on the game.There is a new update of the Player's Guide available (version 1.10).
The changes in this version include:
- Added examples of ability score arrays.
- Noted that low Intelligence score reduces starting languages.
- Added (optional) "Deadly Critical" rule to replace Instant Death.
- Added exhaustion rule after being unconscious.
- Added clause about full HD recovery on long rest.
- Added Artificer as playable class.
- Added background on Howard's cyclic history and "barbarism vs civilization" theory to the Cultures of Xoth chapter first page.
- Adjusted some race descriptions to increase variety in the suggested cultures.
- Noted that rapiers do not exist.
- Sushranite longbows can add Strength to damage.
On balance I think it’s a good call to leave out the tweak to instant death. Whilst I agreed with its change of emphasis, and how it flattens the heroic survivability a little, it’s not necessarily (I’m on the fence here) important enough to the game. But the switch to the deadly critical hits the notes I would look for in an S&S game exactly. It’s colourful for all the right reasons, and 5e provides a decent safety net for pcs.
Regarding the Artificer class, I gather it’s from a supplemental book, Tasha’s Cauldron of everything? Not sure but should reference to where it’s found be put into the text somewhere?