D&D 5E Free 60+ page Guide to Sword & Sorcery for 5E D&D

CapnZapp

Legend
Devil_Zebub.png

I had a quick browse over on the Xoth forums. Just to say I found Vengers idea of introducing an escalating critical chance a neat optional idea for emulating the drama of S&S.

For a bit more work the idea of the crit escalating after each critical hit could work well too.

CapnZapp

Legend
If you guys know of a site with discussions regarding Xoth and its brand of Sword & Sorcery gaming I would very much like to know it.

Sadly the Xoth forums have very little activity.

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
True fantasy literature, that is, where you escape the modern world for a darker less likeable world. By playing in it and not insisting it should be watered down to include gender, racial, and social equality you aren't condoning morally wrong or evil actions; you're trusted to separate fantasy from reality just as you can separate right from wrong.
So you wouldn't consider JM Barrie's novel Peter and Wendy or L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to be true fantasy literature? Would you consider Neverland and Oz to not be darker and less likeable than the modern world?

How can literature ever be "separated" from reality when it is produced and received in reality?

Notably, the science fiction author Norman Spinrad drew direct connections between many works of science fiction and fantasy literature and fascism in his novel The Iron Dream.

S'mon

Legend
So you wouldn't consider JM Barrie's novel Peter and Wendy or L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to be true fantasy literature? Would you consider Neverland and Oz to not be darker and less likeable than the modern world?

How can literature ever be "separated" from reality when it is produced and received in reality?

Notably, the science fiction author Norman Spinrad drew direct connections between many works of science fiction and fantasy literature and fascism in his novel The Iron Dream.

Fantasy can be nicer or nastier than RL. It can be different. That's the point.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It's funny how some people justify a theme by saying "it's historically accurate!" and other people* justify the exact same theme by saying "it's escapist fantasy!"

Nope, I don't suspect there's something entirely different at play here, for which the rationalizations are just an excuse.

*or maybe the same people but in different threads? I don't track it that carefully.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I think the real reason is "We like it!"

Good enough reason for me.

Yeah, I like it too.

It's the pseudo-intellectual justification that people keep spouting that drives me crazy. As if there isn't really a problem.

There is a problem with it, but we're not terrible human beings for finding it appealing anyway.

Remove ads