D&D 5E Free Abridged Dragon of Icespire Peak for D20 day

WotC has made a free preview version of Dragons of Icespire Peak available for download.

87F62880-B927-45CC-ACBD-FA237EF41030.png

For "d20 Day", we're pleased to offer further adventure material to help celebrate this holiday season.

The following download contains a special preview version of material presented in the D&D Essentials Kit, and is meant as a new group’s first Dungeons & Dragons experience. The short adventure material, characters, and other supplemental information here should get a group started on their journey!

There are two downloads. First is a short adventure from the box set with creatures and magic items and a bit about the pregens, next are the pregens themselves.

266A42DD-075A-4608-9E74-8419D6D561D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks for posting. How complete is this? i.e. can it be run on it's own r does it leave one hanging s to speak? What is included in the Essentials box that is not in this? (adventure wise, not rules or objects wise)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Cool to see this! I've already got this in the Essentials Kit and run it once. But I might have a chance to run a one-shot to intro some nephews to D&D this New Year. I wasn't planning on using Icespire Peak for that, but Gnomengaarde might be a good one to do, after all. TBH, I really don't care for how the gnomes are presented as silly and incompetent, but that can be changed. And I'll definitely use @Zaukrie's awesome pneumatic tubes idea to add some mobility to the mimic, since that was the other main thing that bothered me about this particular quest.

I also like that there are some pregens for this, which (iirc?) the Essentials Box lacked for some unfathomable reason.

HOWEVER:
Why on earth are these smallish WotC documents so ginormous? They load and scroll sooooo slowly. Maybe it's just the background image, but there's something very weird about them (compared to other docs of similar size) that I haven't figured out how to correct for.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
HOWEVER:
Why on earth are these smallish WotC documents so ginormous? They load and scroll sooooo slowly. Maybe it's just the background image, but there's something very weird about them (compared to other docs of similar size) that I haven't figured out how to correct for.
Because it's 16MB? That's bigger than most of my PDFs. For reference, the D&D Basic Rules are 11MB.

Is "d20 day" just because of the D in December?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Having never opened my Essentials Kit before I gave it to a "have high schoolers stuck at home play games" program, I really like how the pregens are presented.

A front and back single page that includes personality AND art is wonderful. Probably good for all tier 1 characters.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases