• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FREE Gen Con Indy Badges!

Michelle_Nephew

First Post
Gen Con LLC has licensed Atlas Games to publish 40 Years of Gen Con ... a coffee table-style history of the convention through the years. We're collecting oral histories, photographs, reminiscences, and more, and we want your story to be part of this chronicle of the best four decades in gaming!

The GenConHistory.com web site is designed for you to share personal stories and photos, and for you to vote for your favorite submissions to help us make the best book possible. If you feel inspired by a rush of memories to share with posterity, or a discover of a box of old snapshots, we want to hear from you! If your submission(s) are used in the book, you'll get a complimentary copy of it and your name in the credtis. And if any of your submissions are ranked in the top 25 stories or top 25 photos, you'll receive a FREE 4-day badge for Gen Con Indy 2007!

New topics for story and photo submissions will be posted every Monday through the end of March, and each topic is open for submissions and voting for two weeks, so be sure get your submissions in soon and come back often to see what's new!

-Michelle Nephew
Atlas Games

Michelle, this is a cool idea. I've definitely got the best stories, so I suppose my question is, how many times can I win? I've got a couple of friends I'd like to bring along. *grin*

More seriously, do you know if GenCon will be willing to refund tickets to folks who register in advance if they happen to win one of your free badgers? I mean badges.

Michelle_Nephew

First Post
Thanks! We're really excited about it ... who doesn't like free badges, after all!

You can only win once, and the badge is non-transferable, I'm afraid. I've just put in a query to Gen Con LLC about your pre-reg question, and I'll post again when I have an answer for you. Otherwise, you can find the rules at http://www.GenConHistory.com . Good luck!

-Michelle Nephew
Atlas Games

Michelle_Nephew

First Post
Hi there. After consulting the Gen Con LLC, we've been assured that if you are already pre-registered for a badge when your submission is selected, GenCon will refund your pre-registration payment. So get over to www.GenConHistory.com and turn in your photos and stories right away ... there's only one more week left before the deadline on the first four topics!

-Michelle Nephew
Atlas Games

Michelle_Nephew

First Post
Four More Chances for a FREE Gen Con Badge!

For week number two of our 40 Years of Gen Con FREE badge promo, we've just added four new topics. Remember, you'll have two weeks to post your submissions and vote at www.GenConHistory.com . The NEW topics are:

Milwaukee: MECCA PHOTOS - Due Noon, Jan 22, 2007
Submit your best photo from when Gen Con was hosted in Milwaukee at the MECCA/Wisconsin Center from 1985 to 1997.

UW-Parkside PHOTOS - Due Noon, Jan 22, 2007
Submit your best photo from when Gen Con was hosted at UW-Parkside from 1978 to 1984.

Best Travel STORIES - Due Noon, Jan 22, 2007
Submit your best story or experience about how you got to Gen Con.

Best Love or Romance at Gen Con STORIES - Due Noon, Jan 22, 2007
Submit your best story or experience about Love... True Love which bloomed at Gen Con.

---

Also, there's still one more week to turn in submissions and vote for last week's topics:

Indianapolis PHOTOS - Due Noon, Jan 15, 2007
Submit your best photo from when Gen Con was hosted in Indianapolis from 2003 to present.

Milwaukee: Midwest Express Center PHOTOS - Due Noon, Jan 15, 2007
Submit your best photo from when Gen Con was hosted in Milwaukee at the Midwest Express Center from 1985 to 2002.

Best CCG STORIES - Due Noon, Jan 15, 2007
Submit your best story or experience about a Collectible Card Game.

Best Kid or Family STORIES - Due Noon, Jan 15, 2007
Submit your best story or experience about Kids or Families at Gen Con.

frankthedm

First Post
The book costs them what? 1/3rd it's cover price?

Heh, a gen con badge cost how much? Only having to give out 25 of them is an incredible savings for the company for what they gets to squeeze out of the fan base with a "contest" like this.

Research and submissions like these are worth money, not a remote chance at a prize the company has a surplus of.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
frankthedm said:
The book costs them what? 1/3rd it's cover price?

Heh, a gen con badge cost how much? Only having to give out 25 of them is an incredible savings for the company for what they gets to squeeze out of the fan base with a "contest" like this.

Research and submissions like these are worth money, not a remote chance at a prize the company has a surplus of.

They're worth money to whom? Who is interested in paying for anything like that other than the fanboys interested? I can't see a personal anecdote by any one of Gen Con's thousands of relatively anonymous participants as being worth any significant money.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
frankthedm said:
You're kidding, right? I have a hilarious image of someone wandering around trying to convince someone - anyone - to pay him for his GenCon recollections.

Frankly, it would be reasonably easy for Atlas to gather stories with no recompense whatsoever. The fact that they are doing so seems great to me.

I think I've posted the first story. C'mon folks, right now the odds of you winning are pretty durned high.

(I'm just trying to get more interest here, Michelle. ;))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads